Favorite Music Movies

tbry

• Members

I'm Not There - the Dylan movie. It helps to know a bit about the old boy going in, no question. One of my big favorites for re-watching.

A Hard Day's Night

Amadeus

Spinal Tap of course!

High Fidelity (if that counts) same goes for Almost Famous

the vintage musicals are still go-to items for cold,rainy nights every other year or so -

West Side Story

Singing in the Rain

The Wizard of Oz

The Sound of Music

etc etc

and the Disney movies, too. Alladin, Beauty in the Beast come to mind.

I feel like I'm forgetting something obvious and awesome and a forehead-smacking will occur later....

nat whilk ii

That Thing You Do

Spinal Tap

Ray

Walk The Line (Walk Hard is a brilliant parody)

All the Beatles films (A Hard Day's Night / Help / Yellow Submarine / Let It Be)

Amadeus

Mr. Holland's Opus

I loved the Tom Dowd & The Language of Music documentary too.

The Wall / Pink Floyd

I feel like I'm forgetting a bunch of them too...

• Members

Not a movie about music, but, rather, a surreal 1955 movie musical (a Minelli movie musical, at that)... a really weird take on the 1001 Arabian Nights riff with a jazzy, 50s big band soundtrack, a great cast with mostly fine singers, extremely sardonic (and occasionally gruesome) lyrics, elaborate, fanciful sets, outrageously reimagined, often provocative costumes, and a complicated, fate-driven plot worthy of the imaginary storyteller Scheherazade.

[Trigger warning: conceived well outside the bounds of any sort of multicultural political correctness (based on a stage play now more than a 100 years old), the film presents a very Hollywood take on the Baghdad of 800 or so years ago.]

[video=youtube;ZD0QzwIPdZ8]

One of the more enjoyable -- and telling -- musical sequences... dig the stereo mix... [the soundtrack was later released in stereo]

[video=youtube;wLcCojUkMuE]

• Members

Just thought of one that hasn't been mentioned - the Who's Quadrophenia.

It's a pretty remarkable movie - no, the Who are not really in the movie except to provide a great soundtrack. It's a gritty slice-of-life drama about teen Mods and Rockers in the early 60s, working-class tough kids fighting with their parents, with each other, with themselves. A young Sting has a great turn as a gang leader - and an even younger Ray Winstone appears in his first movie credit listed on IMDB. 1979 - and it has something of the feel of the great late 60s, early 70s movies with that tough realism like Scorcese and others from that era. You might be surprised.

nat whilk ii

• Members

And if you haven't seen it check out Fear of a Black Hat. It's a hilarious parody of Spinal Tap. About a rap group called NWH (like NWA but with hats instead of attitude). Instead of drummers dying, their managers keep getting shot and killed. There's also a scene where one of the guys is showing off his gun collection to the narrator, reminiscent of the scene where Nigel Tufnell is showing off his collection of guitars.

• Members

That Thing You Do is the first that came to mind. Love that movie.

It Might Get Loud. - my favorite moment is when Page starts playing the "Whole Lotta Love" riff and the Edge and Jack Black lean in to stare at his hands like two star struck teenagers.

Spinal Tap - of course

• Members
"Let It Be" changed my life

"Masked and Anonymous" is a delightfully weird character movie

"Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" a great parody of rock n roll history

Never seen Let It Be.

It's not exactly readily available, is it?

First Album I ever owned.

• Members

In no particular order…

Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage

Immortal Beloved

Spinal Tap

The Wrecking Crew

Ray

Walk The Line

Amadeus

Mr. Holland's Opus

Tom Dowd & The Language of Music

The Wall

Rock Star

These aren`t music movies but I love the soundtracks

Escape From New York

Batman: The Dark Knight Rises

Inception

I`m sure more will come to mind or someone will mention them.

• Members

Watched the extended version of THAT THING YOU DO last night...really enjoyed the story and the music.

Let it Be might be one to look for...have not seen that.

Wrecking Crew was just ok...enjoyed learning about the players but the movie wasn't that captivating.

Archived