Choice of Vocal Mic For Live Performance

• CMS Author

There's a certain category or, if you don't mind, "class," of performers who work with SM58s. This is probably the largest group of performers, which makes the mic so popular. It works pretty well when you learn how to use it with your voice, but sometimes it just doesn't sound right no matter how you use it. That's why you occasionally see other mics in use by your local bar band that plays multiple venues and occasionally different kinds of audiences.

The "big iron" concert tours who do the same show night after night for people who pay a lot of money for tickets spend time in rehearsal to find just the right mics. They can afford to experiment, and when the show changes, often the mics will change to accommodate different styles or backing. Often making the switch from wedge monitors to in-ear monitors will either dictate a different mic or provide the opportunity to try alternate mics that don't work well with monitor speakers due to problems from leakage and feedback.

• Members

When I started I used a Peavey Mic that someone I know gave me. It was an okay mic and I used it for some time. When I got a little more serious about performing I knew I needed to upgrade, so I tried the SM58.

I could not get a good sound out of the 58, maybe it just didn't match well with my voice but no matter what I did it just sounded horrible to me. Therefore I didn't use the 58 very long at all.

I quickly switch to the Sennheiser e835. Although I didn't think it sounded great, I thought it sounded MUCH better than the 58. If I EQed it right I could get some pretty good vocals out of the e835. Therefore I used it for about 8 - 10 years.

While using the e835, I always thought that one day I would upgrade to "top shelf" mic when I had the money. The one I always see people using at concerts and live footage that caught my eye was the Neumann KMS 105, that's about $600. I always told myself that one day I would sacrifice and get that Neumann, but every time I would think seriously about it or come close to getting one, I just couldn't justify spending that much money on a performance microphone. Anyway, not long ago I decided I'm never going to get that Neumann and I needed to start looking for something a little similar. After doing a little research I came across the Shure Beta 87a. Well I bought something from GC and it came with a $50 gift card, and between that and a 10% discount I the opportunity to get the 87a for $175 new in the box.

It was one of the best decisions I have ever made as a performing musician. Again it may just be my voice, but this is the best sounding mic I have ever sang through. It is out of this world good. If the Neumann KMS is any better than the 87a, I'm almost scared of it. It sounds better, right out the box, with no EQ or effects (reverb, delay) than the e835 didwith EQ and effects. I wish I would have made this decision years ago.

Does anyone else have experience with the Shure Beta 87a?

• Members
When I started I used a Peavey Mic that someone I know gave me. It was an okay mic and I used it for some time. When I got a little more serious about performing I knew I needed to upgrade, so I tried the SM58.

I could not get a good sound out of the 58, maybe it just didn't match well with my voice but no matter what I did it just sounded horrible to me. Therefore I didn't use the 58 very long at all.

I quickly switch to the Sennheiser e835. Although I didn't think it sounded great, I thought it sounded MUCH better than the 58. If I EQed it right I could get some pretty good vocals out of the e835. Therefore I used it for about 8 - 10 years.

While using the e835, I always thought that one day I would upgrade to "top shelf" mic when I had the money. The one I always see people using at concerts and live footage that caught my eye was the Neumann KMS 105, that's about $600. I always told myself that one day I would sacrifice and get that Neumann, but every time I would think seriously about it or come close to getting one, I just couldn't justify spending that much money on a performance microphone. Anyway, not long ago I decided I'm never going to get that Neumann and I needed to start looking for something a little similar. After doing a little research I came across the Shure Beta 87a. Well I bought something from GC and it came with a $50 gift card, and between that and a 10% discount I the opportunity to get the 87a for $175 new in the box.

It was one of the best decisions I have ever made as a performing musician. Again it may just be my voice, but this is the best sounding mic I have ever sang through. It is out of this world good. If the Neumann KMS is any better than the 87a, I'm almost scared of it. It sounds better, right out the box, with no EQ or effects (reverb, delay) than the e835 didwith EQ and effects. I wish I would have made this decision years ago.

Does anyone else have experience with the Shure Beta 87a?

I have a Beta 87A and love it.

• Members

I dislike SM58s. Why?

1) We play in small venues where feedback can be a problem forcing us to 'eat the mic'. The SMs have terrible proximity effect that makes you sound muddy and distorted when close in.

2) That damned clip that breaks

3) They don't last long enough when doing one-nighters

I bought a Sennheiser MD-421 for my sax decades ago. Zero proximity effect and a flat response. I also sing and use the mic for voice as well.

My duo partner went through 3 SM58s before deciding to also get an MD-421. She noticed mine never breaks and for a few years now she also has a 421.

"Pro Audio Review" magazine rated them the best all-around dynamic mic under $800 and the 421 took first place in every category (including voice) except for micing a guitar cabinet, where they took second to a Sony. You can get a 421 for about $300 and they will last longer than 3 SMs making them cheaper in the long run.

And with a little WD40 sprayed on the clip every 5 years or so, I'm still using the clip that came with thi mic back in the 1970s.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

I guess the only major advice is most people prefer dynamic mics for live use because they don't need phantom power and are pretty rugged. SM58s sound muffled to my ears,but once I put on a fair amount of highs they snap into place.

The comments about using mics that work with your voice are spot on. My main requirement for a mic is one that flatters my voice. :) But there are other variables, like distance from the mic. When I started using the Neat King Bee for vocals I found that it "opened up" if I sang further away from it than with the AT 3035 I'd used before for vocals. And I still use an SM58 when I want the proximity effect.

• Members

A lot depends on your voice. I like to complement the timbre - for a deep dark voice, use a bright sounding mic. For a high voice use a mic with a lot of bottom. It seems to bring clarity and depth to the vocal.

But there are other things to consider in live work, especially the tendency to feedback. Generally I try to work with what I have to get a sound I love. My voice is much more versatile than any mic, and can compensate for a lot of shortcomings in the gear. True of instruments too; it isn't what you have, it's what you do with it.

• Members
I'm just curious to see what vocal mics singers are using for live performances. Are most people still using the SM58 and is it the staple of most stages or is there another mic taking its place?

I don`t remember the models but I used an Audix once. Awful mic for my voice. Way to sibilant. Then an Neumann for another gig but I always ask for the 58 if I have a choice. To my hears, the 58 sounds like me the most in a live situation. The Neumann wasn`t bad but it seemed a bit tight sounding through the PA. Maybe because I`m used to the 58, nothing else works?

• CMS Author

I don`t remember the models but I used an Audix once. Awful mic for my voice. Way to sibilant. Then an Neumann for another gig but I always ask for the 58 if I have a choice. To my hears, the 58 sounds like me the most in a live situation. The Neumann wasn`t bad but it seemed a bit tight sounding through the PA. Maybe because I`m used to the 58, nothing else works?

That's probably true. First, it's what you're used to hearing, and second, it's what you've learned to use. I made the mistake of getting Neumann to sponsor a stage at the Folk Alliance conference the same year as I got Mackie to provide mixers and speakers for all the official stages. About two people loved the KSM-105s and nobody else got close enough to them to take advantage of what they do best. But the two who sounded good and liked working with the mics both owned one, so they knew how to use it.

If somebody gave you one you'd probalby get to liking it a lot once you got the hang of it, It's like what I said in another post here about big bucks acts that have an opportunity to find what works best and rehearse with the gear before starting a tour that get the most benefit from the wide choice of mics out there. Everyone else with less money and more sense uses what they have the most experience with.

I do wish we had a mic for these festival stages that sounds better than an SM58 when working too far from it. People who don't have experience with PA system usually keep too far away from the mics that are designed for close work to take advantage of proximity effect and reduce leakage and feedback.

• Members

I'm definitely going to get the EV N/D 767, I have heard so many good thing about it from people of every background and music across all spectrums. It just had too many good things said about it to pass up for $80.

That being said, what about the BETA 58, they may have been mentioned but not really discussed? Does anyone have any real experience with them, and why did you choose them? Also what is the difference between the SM58/57 and the BETA 58/57?

• Members

Thanks, not going to buy the lottery ticket - I'm ok at math. ;)

My wife/duo-partner's clip is doing find after a couple of years.

I've never had a Sure clip last very long.

We leave the clips on when to load the van - and I do one-nighers for a living.

I know a lot of people say they have trouble with that clip, and I certainly don't doubt it, but I've never had a problem.

I also have a slightly muddy voice, so I roll the control for the low-reject filter a notch or two and it makes it sound much better.

• Members
Had good luck with EV N/D mics. SM 58 beta is good. SM 58s sound muffled to me. They don't sound muffled' date=' are tough, and you can add EQ and it takes it well. I don't know the difference between the beta and "regular" 58. I just know that I prefer the sound of the beta.[/quote']

If I get another Shure Dynamic, it will be the Beta.

Archived