2016 Musical Plans / Projects / Purchases...

Ernest Buckley

• Members

PURCHASE CONSIDERATIONS

I`ve been eyeing a J45 Vintage (Vintage Sunburst) for a few weeks now…. a bit of history for you… I purchased a Martin D15 around 6-7 years ago but it never broke in as I wished it had. It seemed to play really well at first but after several adjustments and contacting Martin, they said that that particular guitar has a high action and that they would re-adjust it for me but it would take at least 6 weeks for the turn around. I`m not sure what to do…. So I`ve been considering a the J45 which I know is a classic. The thing is, I`m not really a guitarist… I`m more of a rhythm/chord progression type player so I`m thinking 4gs is a bit too much for someone of my limited guitar chops. Unless Craig can hook me up with an SSS discount? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I`ve also been getting into synths the last year or so. Got a Prophet 6 back in June and I`ve been eyeing the Moog Sub37 as well. That`ll fill out my synth rig for years to come. I`m really not into having lots of gear but I have to admit, I love Moogs and I`ve always wanted one. The Prophet 5 was also one of those dream machines I always wanted so when Dave Smith Instruments announced the Prophet 6, you could imagine how excited I was… so now that I actually own one, I can tell you, there is no comparison between a software synth and the real thing. Every time I sit down with the Prophet 6, I find myself smiling. Its just so nice to grab a knob and hear the change in real time versus grabbing the mouse. So the Moog Sub37 is another one of those units that I think about often…

STUDIO UPGRADES

Lastly, after reading Craigs thread about updating to the Macs latest OSX "El Capitan", I`m inspired to upgrade but I`ll also have to upgrade my Waves plugs, Digital Performer, and REASON as well. Thankfully I have the latest version of LIVE 9.5 rolling along just fine. However, before I do any OS upgrades, I have to make sure all my software is running nicely in OSX. I look forward to software updates like I do to root canals…

PROJECTS

I`ve been itching to get back into producing songwriters and bands again now that my 2nd album is just about done. I seem to do this whenever my own projects are done. I can`t seem to work on both the artist and my own stuff… its seems like a conflict of interest. I have an "old" student of mine who is 24 and just left a band and formed his own here in Brooklyn and we were discussing how I could get involved with their first record. I want to actually produce the band but we have a long way to go before we get there, these guys just formed and they are still writing tunes but I know my student writes some interesting stuff and I`m looking forward to possibly working with him in 2016.

There is also another old student of mine who is 21. She is looking to write and put out her own album. She has a manager already and has asked me several times to write with her. I`ve yet to commit for the reason mentioned above… I`m still finishing up my own record and honestly, I`m not sure if she has the voice to pull off what I want to do. And I`m also not sure how we`ll collaborate with each other because she is just starting out as a writer and from what I have heard so far, she needs to work on her writing chops a lot… but its really more about ego… can we subdue that long enough so I can actually help her? So I`m considering writing a song or two with her before I commit to any long term writing partnership with her.

Aside from all that, I plan on just letting the creative muse go its way in 2016… I`ve been working on this 2nd album of mine since late 2007 and honestly, at this point, I`m tired of hearing it. Good tunes but I`m ready to move on to other projects. And as usual, I`m ready to supply mastering, mixing, vocals and anything else someone here on HC would like me to handle for them. So, if you`re game, so am I.

With a little luck, I`ll accomplish 25% of everything I just shared here… lol.gif

• Members

Good thread, Ern :cool2:

PURCHASE CONSIDERATIONS

None, really. I have a top-of-the-range DAW, given to me as a freebie by a PreSonus employee. I have an electric guitar, a bass guitar, and an acoustic guitar. I have a synth, a condenser mic, and a voice. I have everything I need to make music

STUDIO UPGRADES

None required. See above

PROJECTS

Continue writing and recording songs. One of these days I'll write 'The One'

• Members
PURCHASE CONSIDERATIONS

I`ve been eyeing a J45 Vintage (Vintage Sunburst) for a few weeks now…. a bit of history for you… I purchased a Martin D15 around 6-7 years ago but it never broke in as I wished it had. It seemed to play really well at first but after several adjustments and contacting Martin, they said that that particular guitar has a high action and that they would re-adjust it for me but it would take at least 6 weeks for the turn around. I`m not sure what to do…. So I`ve been considering a the J45 which I know is a classic. The thing is, I`m not really a guitarist… I`m more of a rhythm/chord progression type player so I`m thinking 4gs is a bit too much for someone of my limited guitar chops. Unless Craig can hook me up with an SSS discount?

If I was looking for a strumming acoustic, yeah, the J45 would be nice, but I would consider it way too expensive. And Martins these days....also seem overpriced and underbuilt except at the really high end. There are a ton of good affordable acoustics out there from Taylor, Epiphone, Washburn, Takamine, the list could go on and on. If I were looking for a new acoustic, I'd go the used route, having a good tech check them out before buying. The used ones will have already sweetened up some, and hidden structural flaws should have already revealed themselves.

My main acoustic is a Guild DV52 NT HG, about 1998 vintage, built in the old Guild workshop in Westerly, R.I. Cost me about $1,000 new in the late 90s, now you can find them used for about $800 - $1500 depending. Unbelievable value - I go to GC and play around on all the Martins on the rack, and none of them under $3,000 come even close. It's a big, heavy dreadnought, so maybe not your style. But still, an example of the bargains you can find with a little poking around and persistence.

Best o'luck with your guitar and your plans!

nat whilk ii

• Members

I have a J45. It's everything it's cracked up to be, and has gotten better with age. However...I played a friend's Epiphone acoustic and frankly, was shocked at the price/quality ratio. Not sure which one it was but you might want to check some out. As for me...

PURCHASE CONSIDERATIONS

I want a Gibson 2016 HP Les Paul Standard. And the Memphis bass. Not sure if it's out yet but jeez, what a sweet semi-hollow alternative to a solid-body.

If my desktop Mac can't run anything any more, then a Mac Mini tricked out with as much RAM as possible. I have a friend with the R2-D2 cylinder Mac, and he spends half his life on the phone with Apple support.

STUDIO UPGRADES

Bass traps and more acoustic treatment. Maybe it's time to get a new Windows machine, as mine dates from when Vista was happening. But it keeps working and it rocks. It's also very loyal.

PROJECTS

I thought Neo- would probably be my last album, given my age and how long it takes me to finish albums. But I seem to be having another fit of creativity so who knows, maybe I'll produce another album in 2016 or 2017. I'll do the same as before...post the individual songs for comment, and see what happens.

I'd like to do some more mastering but have been out of that loop lately aside from my own music and audio-for-video projects.

• Members
Thinking about springing for a pop Filter and some new guitar picks. Got some kat's that think I can sing and tolerate my guitar noodling.

Pop filters...ah yes. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the best pop filter by far that I've ever used costs $299. I have to say, though, given how much narration I do it was a great investment because of the amount of time it has saved me in fixing voice issues after the fact. Until then, I stacked two cheap pop filters. It was effective, but didn't help out the highs.

• Members

If I was looking for a strumming acoustic, yeah, the J45 would be nice, but I would consider it way too expensive. And Martins these days....also seem overpriced and underbuilt except at the really high end. There are a ton of good affordable acoustics out there from Taylor, Epiphone, Washburn, Takamine, the list could go on and on. If I were looking for a new acoustic, I'd go the used route, having a good tech check them out before buying. The used ones will have already sweetened up some, and hidden structural flaws should have already revealed themselves.

My main acoustic is a Guild DV52 NT HG, about 1998 vintage, built in the old Guild workshop in Westerly, R.I. Cost me about $1,000 new in the late 90s, now you can find them used for about $800 - $1500 depending. Unbelievable value - I go to GC and play around on all the Martins on the rack, and none of them under $3,000 come even close. It's a big, heavy dreadnought, so maybe not your style. But still, an example of the bargains you can find with a little poking around and persistence.

Best o'luck with your guitar and your plans!

nat whilk ii

I hear ya Nat Whilk….

Honestly, spending $4gs on an acoustic is bit much for me but I`m looking for something for the rest of my life… however long that is. I may live to be a hundred so the way I figure, I might as well get a proven instrument that ages like a fine wine and will be worth more in 50-60 years… at least my kids can cash in…

Right now I`m in desperate need of an acoustic so I`ll probably grab an Epiphone for the time being… time to visit the Sam Ash near me and get my hands on some guitars… in the meantime, that Martin D15 sits there in the corner…. eBay?

• Members
I have a J45. It's everything it's cracked up to be' date=' and has gotten better with age. However...I played a friend's Epiphone acoustic and frankly, was shocked at the price/quality ratio. Not sure which one it was but you might want to check some out. [/quote']

I agree with you. I own an Epiphone Les Paul and a good friend of mine has the real thing and we both agree there are very minor differences between the two. The Gibson has more sustain but the sound is not really worth $2000 more… but then again, when it comes to resale… the Gibson is actually a better investment, right? So, for that reason, I`m considering the J45 over a $300 Epiphone.

If my desktop Mac can't run anything any more' date=' then a Mac Mini tricked out with as much RAM as possible. I have a friend with the R2-D2 cylinder Mac, and he spends half his life on the phone with Apple support.[/quote']

I have to tell you, I purchased an iMac in 2010-2011(?) and and the damn thing rocks. I owned a G5 before this and the G5 sucked ass… excuse my French. The iMac is maxed out with RAM, its super quiet and I could not be happier with the way it handles 40+ tracks at times so I think the iMac is rather underrated and deserves more attention from professionals.

I thought Neo- would probably be my last album' date=' given my age and how long it takes me to finish albums. But I seem to be having another fit of creativity so who knows, maybe I'll produce another album in 2016 or 2017. I'll do the same as before...post the individual songs for comment, and see what happens.[/size']

Heck Craig, you`re so much more creative than me. I hope you continue to write and record till you kick the bucket.

I'd like to do some more mastering but have been out of that loop lately aside from my own music and audio-for-video projects.

Well, as I mentioned before, I`d like you to take a stab at my 2nd record when its done.

EB

• Members

I hear ya Nat Whilk….

Honestly, spending $4gs on an acoustic is bit much for me but I`m looking for something for the rest of my life… however long that is. I may live to be a hundred so the way I figure, I might as well get a proven instrument that ages like a fine wine and will be worth more in 50-60 years… at least my kids can cash in…

Right now I`m in desperate need of an acoustic so I`ll probably grab an Epiphone for the time being… time to visit the Sam Ash near me and get my hands on some guitars… in the meantime, that Martin D15 sits there in the corner…. eBay?

I have this attitude - it could just be a rationalization, but... - I think I'd rather own six good but not topnotch instruments and figure out how to make them sing, than one perfect instrument that sings by itself.

nat whilk ii

• Members

I have this attitude - it could just be a rationalization, but... - I think I'd rather own six good but not topnotch instruments and figure out how to make them sing, than one perfect instrument that sings by itself.

nat whilk ii

And I`m exactly the opposite… rather have one great than a lot of good. :lol:

• Members

Well, here's what are looking at in the coming year:

Purchases

After Christmas, think we are done for a while. Last year my wife bought me a mountain dulcimer for graduating from school and finally getting my degree. This year, she got me an Irish 'D' Low Whistle for my birthday, and for Christmas she is getting me a 'D' tin whistle and a bodhran. About the only thing left that I am looking at getting is a set of tabletop chimes from Treeworks in Nashville.

Studio Upgrades

We did a lot of work this past year. This coming year we are looking at adding recessed lighting that we can dim (right now it has fluorescent lights in the ceiling), a new coat of paint, new door and new carpet.

Projects

Our projects are geared for family and friends, nothing that is released "in the wild". With the new instruments, we are looking at an instrumental album of Christian Praise music, done with a Celtic flair (as I learn to play my new toys). Think Ricky Skaggs/Dailey and Vincent mixed with Eden's Bridge/Celtic Woman, but without the vocals. :rolleyes::music005:

My PC was just rebuilt last year so I think I'm good there, but I might need to break down and get a new Macbook Pro (or maybe a tricked-out iMac) at some point. Nothing wrong with the one I have, but then again, it's four years old and it's slower compared to the latest models.

As far as instruments, I picked up a couple of nice new ones this past year, so I'm good there, but there's always something I have my eye on. :lol: I'd love to eventually replace my Epiphone Les Paul with a Gibson, but I'm going to wait until I find just the right one.

As far as projects go I have a few different things in the works. I'd like to do a solo album at some point, but I don't know if this is the year I'll finally get around to it or not.

EB, as far as the J45, I reviewed an acoustic guitar pickup a while back and the review unit came pre-installed in a J45, and if the neck was just a wee bit more comfortable for my miniature snausage fingers, I'd be very tempted to get one - I was extremely impressed with it.

• Members
EB' date=' as far as the J45, I reviewed an acoustic guitar pickup a while back and the review unit came pre-installed in a J45, and if the neck was just a wee bit more comfortable for my miniature snausage fingers, I'd be very tempted to get one - I was extremely impressed with it.[/quote']

Hey Phil,

Yeah, the more I think (and write about it here), I think I`m going to go with the J45, granted, I`ll have to sit down with a few and get a feel for one. I`m just at that point in my life now where I don`t want to buy crap and I rather have one great acoustic than a bunch around me that don`t really inspire me. I hear you about the Epiphone Les Paul as well, I have one and honestly, its pretty darn good but one of these days, I`d like to own the real thing. Right now, the acoustic is more important because thats where I do most of my writing and I`m happy with the Mexican Strat and Epi Les Paul for now…

I`m just curious, did you find the neck on the J45 to be too wide for your hand? The reason I ask is because thats part of the reason I`m not exactly happy with the Martin D15, I find the neck to be a little too tight for my fingers. I prefer more of a nylon guitar neck width…

EB

I`m just curious, did you find the neck on the J45 to be too wide for your hand? The reason I ask is because thats part of the reason I`m not exactly happy with the Martin D15, I find the neck to be a little too tight for my fingers. I prefer more of a nylon guitar neck width…

EB

Well it wasn't exactly classical width, but it was definitely a little wider than I normally prefer. You will probably dig it if you prefer necks that aren't too narrow. :)

• Members

2016 is the year for my own musical projects. Always been for others and now I'm retired it's my time.

Having said that though I have an acoustic guitar singer project for a young fellow I know. This is the full production deal. I would love to do a live recording and bring it to master for marketing.

This year has been mad for plugin and software purchases, so 2016 has to be quiet. Make some money instead of spending. Quaint idea that, but it has to be.

• Members

PURCHASE CONSIDERATIONS

I kind of covered already that this year. Most recent was to take my organ down to the local guitar shop (Harry's Guitar, great place) and try it out through a real tube guitar amp. I've been using a Tech21 Oxford emulator, but the Orange TH30C blows it away -- exactly the organ tone I want -- and so I bought it. And the new van I bought a few weeks ago was of course motivated by using it for the band.

I also have a few more synths sitting around that I want to put into the rig (ARP Odyssey reissue, Korg MS20, Waldorf Streichfett), and that means one massive project: I need to design and get built a custom keyboard "stand" that assembles into a full U-shape keyboard station. Everybody already calls my setup "The Starship" [console] so that gives a visual theme to work with.

In the meantime, since replacing the Yukon XL with a real van, I don't have to worry about the height of the load and can replace my SKB two-piece rack unit for my synth rig with a single unit. We're using one from Audiopile for the studio, and I'll probably get another one for my own rig. That'll both clean up the stage and make for simpler load in/out.

I don't see buying any new instruments in 2016. The only thing I'd really like to add would be a real fully modular synth, and that's way too impractical and expensive. But I'm sure my Sweetwater guy will find something new to interest me -- I'd snap up a VCS3 re-issue, for example -- so I can't completely rule it out.

STUDIO UPGRADES

Put up a couple of acoustic panels in two more corners, and add some more acoustic panels to the ceiling. Build a couple of acoustic panel screens: one in front of the storage area (we have a couple of freestanding panels there already, just need to mount them), and the other to slide in front of the studio door.

At some point we'll need a larger mixer. We have a Line6 Stagescape M20d with only 16 channels right now, and with the addition of the TH30C for the organ in my rig, we have kind of run out already. Going to have to get creative in the meantime.

PROJECTS

(This section is written by my alter ego. I call him A--hole Record Exec, and he appears whenever the band needs to get something done for business and marketing reasons instead of artistic ones. He gets announced by, "I'm putting my A--hole Record Exec hat on now. We really need to..." One of these days I'll get an actual hat, like the Mad Hatter's. I find that's a good way of dealing with the painful necessities without compromising the musician-to-musician dynamic.)

2016 is the year I want to switch Fredfin Wallaby from brand-building to profit-making. We've been putting on free shows at good venues, headlining every one, and pulling in a good crowd to build our base and reputation. We already have reached the point where bands are asking us to join our show line-up when they hear we have a date.

Along with that, it's probably time to connect with an actual accountant and entertainment lawyer. Things are rolling along very quickly, and while there is a lot of administration I can do (even if I hate it), it's already reached the point where it's worth consulting people who are qualified to do it. I've put a ton of my own money into the brand-building and I need to start at least deducting that from taxes.

And we're going to put on our own small festival in the Spring. I have an established and enthusiastic location, and I'm already getting requests from artists to join the line-up. That's going to be a lot of work and have some significant up-front costs, but when leveraged properly it'll help open the door to our real target market: the festival circuit.

• Members

PURCHASE CONSIDERATIONS

I'm seriously looking into getting a modular synth setup sometime in 2016 - maybe something like one of the Pittsburgh Modular systems with some added modules. I'm also going to upgrade to Live 9, and finally stop procrastinating on getting Izotope RX5, a Dangerous D-Box, and the Adam Sub10.

STUDIO UPGRADES

We just moved into a new home and still have to setup my studio and DJ system in the semi-finished basement. Need to put up one wall, a few additional outlets and get everything situated - I must have 400 boxes and bins that need to be sorted through.

PROJECTS

I have a whole load of song ideas in my head that I would like to put in music form, plus I need to practice my DJ skills as for the last 6 months were have been in moving mode with everything in storage. A huge project is to sort out and rack the 5,500 12" vinyl dance singles sitting in the basement in crates, many of which still need to be digitized.

• Members

I'm probably going to pick up a Kramer Pacer Vintage as a backup guitar in Jan or Feb.

That plan was almost overridden this weekend when I stopped in a GC that I hadn't visited in quite a while and missed, literally by a couple minutes, picking up an 80s Kramer Nightswan for a song. Some other guy had walked in the door just before I had, it caught his eye, and even though I "hung around" for another 45 minutes, he never let it out of his hands. Ah well.

• Members

I just clicked purchase on this… http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EME4VSSNH

I really wanted a Gibson J45 but after comparing the Epiphone and the Gibson the other day, I honestly was not impressed with the J45. And the Gods honest truth is, I played several higher end guitars in the $1500 and above range and none felt or pleased my ear as much as the Epiphone so we`ll see… I also purchased another external HD.

As 2015 comes to an end, its nice to know I already got a jump start on 2016. I`m looking forward to playing an acoustic I can actually enjoy… its been way too long. Now I have to sell the Martin D15…

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just a quick review of my newly acquired AJ45 from Epiphone… what a great instrument this is. I love the tone and the action on this guitar. Honestly, I really wanted to go with a classic J45 but after playing this, it made no sense to spend an extra $2gs. Epiphone hit a home run with the AJ45 and I`m sure you`ll see lots of guitarists with this in years to come.

The tonal balance is spot on. I`m used to more of a low end from my Martin D15 which is all mahogany but the D15 lacks the shimmery top end of the AJ45. Right now, if I had to choose, the AJ45 is my choice for live and studio work, as well as songwriting. Its simply a great guitar.

Thanks to Craig for mentioning it!

• Members
Just a quick review of my newly acquired AJ45 from Epiphone… what a great instrument this is. I love the tone and the action on this guitar. Honestly, I really wanted to go with a classic J45 but after playing this, it made no sense to spend an extra $2gs. Epiphone hit a home run with the AJ45 and I`m sure you`ll see lots of guitarists with this in years to come.

The tonal balance is spot on. I`m used to more of a low end from my Martin D15 which is all mahogany but the D15 lacks the shimmery top end of the AJ45. Right now, if I had to choose, the AJ45 is my choice for live and studio work, as well as songwriting. Its simply a great guitar.

Thanks to Craig for mentioning it!

One or the service guys at Gibson got himself an the Epiphone II Pro Joe Pass guitar for Christmas...sort of like an L5. I can't believe how good it is. Epiphone is definitely at the top of their game these days.

• Members

Well, I have an idea for a new solid body electric guitar. Problem is that parts of it doesn't exist outside of my mind. So I'd have to find someone who can build it for me. I' had a few ideas about who that could be and out of everyone, I think maybe the Gibson Custom Shop could be it as they seem to have know how where it's needed.

Then there this Ruokangas Mojo King that calls out to me.

I also may need to get a new Mac Mini.

Cheers,

Mats N

Archived