Jack White launches vinyl pressing plant and record store in Detroit

techristian

• Members

I've been told that some manufacturers tinker with the RIAA curve to "improve" the sound of vinyl. Hmmm...creative license!

I'm not a fan of vinyl as a playback medium, but I sure as hell am a fan of what it represents in terms of seeing music as more than just a bunch of 1s and 0s coming from some server somewhere.

I'd like to see someone come up with a bold, modern solution as opposed to retreating back to the past, but until someone does, Jack White wants to restore some of the mystique of music...more power to him.

• Members

I don't know. A lot of existing plants are currently at a six month backlog. That's unprecedented since the 60s. Niche/glitch or otherwise, the need for plants won't be going away any time soon imo. The thing about there being no new presses is that anyone (like Third Man) buying up the old Neumann presses etc must also have a line on parts and tech too. Which would seem to be the tricky part of the equation. Jack must spend a lot of hours on the lathe trolls board.

• Members

There always is the question of whether this is a hipster fad or a movement, but only time will tell. What we do know for a fact is that turntablist DJs single-handedly kept vinyl alive with 12" single and such, so it seems like you may not need that many numbers to keep the presses rolling,,,or maybe even (shudder!) induce a company to make new disc cutters.

If nothing else, it means mastering engineers who can do vinyl will return to their status of being uber-savants.

• CMS Author

I heard that they COMPRESSED the mix for records.....I mean...in the old days.......if that is what you mean Craig.

In the real mastering process - cutting the lacquer master - there was always a limiter to prevent damage to the cutter head, and usually some compression so that they could put more music on a disk without adjacent groove walls breaking. The Fairchild 660 that people praise highly these days (original hardware sells for about $20,000 now) was the standard limiter for disk cutting.

• Members

I heard that they COMPRESSED the mix for records.....I mean...in the old days.......if that is what you mean Craig.

Dan

Yes, they often did compress the hell out of records to fit vinyl's limited range. But I'm referring to the RIAA EQ which boosted treble and cut lows when cutting the vinyl, then on playback, a complementary curve cut treble and boosted bass. I'm referring to rumors that manufacturers play with the playback curve to create a more pleasing response...although I'm not sure exactly what those modifications would entail.

fetch?id=31655263

• Members

One thing I've noticed about myself, is that I'm more of an 'active listener' when I play vinyl from my collection. Instead of putting 5 CDs on random in a player or tuning into Pandora and letting it rip, I actually have to put the album on, clean it (religiously, which is why my collection sounds primo), then flip and repeat in about 15 minuters. So I tend to actually sit down in front of my stereo and listen to it, rather than just having something on while I do something else. One of my friends has an excellent used vinyl shop nearby and has been building his collection regularly. Wish I had the same.

I've mentioned this on related threads; my step son lives in a house with 5 other guys at Drexel U. Two of his room mates have turnables and rooms decorated with vinyl album covers. I was surprised by this, but he says lots of students do the same. Who knows if it's a fad, but they seem to appreciate having an actual physical object. Who knows.

• Members

FWIW I think having two sides is a significant factor. 20 minutes is a good time span for checking out music, 60-70 minutes is too much. I'll be interested to see what happens when I make the links to my "Neo-" album public and people can choose which "side" they want to listen to.

• CMS Author

Yes, they often did compress the hell out of records to fit vinyl's limited range. But I'm referring to the RIAA EQ which boosted treble and cut lows when cutting the vinyl, then on playback, a complementary curve cut treble and boosted bass. I'm referring to rumors that manufacturers play with the playback curve to create a more pleasing response...although I'm not sure exactly what those modifications would entail.

Between about 1940 and 1954 (when the RIAA curve was adopted) there were a whole lot of phono equalization curves (ask any record collector or archivist) that were used. There are about a dozen common ones and upwards of 100 (probably some by mistake) others. The high frequency cut on playback (and the corresponding boost in recording) is to reduce the audibility of surface noise. The reason for the low frequency cut in the recording is to keep the groove width more constant with the result that more music can fit on the record.

It's possible that with modern electronics having lower noise and wider available dynamic range than those of the 1950s, it might make more sense to take advantage of those characteristics and use a gentler equalization curve which would, among other things, introduce less phase shift. Or maybe use a minimum phase filter since everything is done digitally until it hits the cutter.

There are different equalizations for tape, too. NAB is most common in the US but for a long time IEC was the standard for European recorders. Even at the cassette level, Nakamichi had their own curve optimized for their heads and electronics. It was close enough so that you coule play tapes made on other machines and vice versa without too much worry, particularlly given the inconsistency and instability of most cassette decks, but it's one of the things that made Nakamichi cassette decks the best sounding ones of the lot.

So, yeah, I suppose people can muck with the RIAA equalization, but they'd better do it in a way that it can be straightened out with standard tone controls. Either that or they'll create a market for a "new EQ" phono preamp with a USB output.

fetch?id=31655263

Off the top of my head, I suspect that what they're doing is changing how they encode it, or the recording curve itself. That's the only thing they could do at their end; they can't play with or change the playback curve since that's built into the consumer's hardware, but by using a different curve when cutting, they can affect how it will interact with the RIAA EQ on the playback.

I'm talking about manufacturers doing it with the playback equipment.

Aah, I see. That's the only other place where it could be messed with other than in disk cutting... but doing it there would affect everything played through that turntable, which IMHO is worse than someone messing with the curve when mastering a single album.

• Members

This just in from my spy network - details here:

"Tesco will begin trialling a range of vinyl albums after what the supermarket has called 'the huge success' of Iron Maiden's latest LP, which it stocked in September. Included in the 20-disc range is Coldplay's A Head Full Of Dreams, George Ezra's Wanted On Voyage and David Gilmour's Rattle That Lock. Classic albums will also be stocked, including Bruce Springsteen – Born In The USA; Bob Marley’s Greatest Hits; Foo Fighters – Greatest Hits; The Beatles – Sgt Pepper; The Rolling Stones – Sticky Fingers; Radiohead – The Bends and Elvis Presley – 30 Number Ones.

"The LPs will be on sale in 40 Tesco stores across the UK, costing between £12 and £20."

• Members
This just in from my spy network - details here:

"Tesco will begin trialling a range of vinyl albums after what the supermarket has called 'the huge success' of Iron Maiden's latest LP, which it stocked in September. Included in the 20-disc range is Coldplay's A Head Full Of Dreams, George Ezra's Wanted On Voyage and David Gilmour's Rattle That Lock. Classic albums will also be stocked, including Bruce Springsteen – Born In The USA; Bob Marley’s Greatest Hits; Foo Fighters – Greatest Hits; The Beatles – Sgt Pepper; The Rolling Stones – Sticky Fingers; Radiohead – The Bends and Elvis Presley – 30 Number Ones.

"The LPs will be on sale in 40 Tesco stores across the UK, costing between £12 and £20."

There are two Tesco supermarkets within two miles of where I live. And guess where Mrs. L. wants to go today for some Christmas nibbles?

Might just grab me a Sgt. Pepper's for nostalgia's sake :)

Archived