A little something for Craig and Iamthesky

Mark L

• Members

That's really, really appreciated. Your refrain of "I don't know where [that part] came from" is, I believe, the reason why this song touches so many people...it's a very direct connection between the artist and the muse, but also, it's accessible to people who aren't you. IOW there are a lot of songs you do that are personal and wouldn't sound right done by someone else, but this one has a certain kind of universality about it.

I posted my version over three years ago but still, when I hear the song by anyone, it gives me goosebumps. There's just something about it. It's what got me back into recording...I've always gone in cycles, but for whatever reason that song made me want to record it, and then I didn't want to stop. The last song of this "cycle," "I Say Yes," is in some ways the bookend to "Black Market Daydreams."

I am going to start on another project soon that will probably take me another three years to complete :) It will be very different. I've done one song already and it's minimalist to say the least...guitar, bass, vox organ, voice. That's it, Very close to live. And yes, if I put a live act together, I will most definitely do "Black Market Daydreams" but it will be slower and with an acoustic guitar. I have an arrangement of it that's very different from the one I recorded but as I've said before, the song is indestructible.

But it's not like you're a one-hit wonder. I think "Only Ever After You" is a deeply emotional song and I think it's one of the high points on "Neo-" because it pulled me into an entirely different genre."My Lucky Day" is also great but no one has done the definitive version yet...that's why I didn't include it on "Neo-." What we REALLY need is for Buddy Holly to do it but he's dead, so good luck with that. :)

One weird thing about the video: It makes you look 15 years older than when I saw you last at the Line 6 event!! Either you're really been leading a Keith Richards life lately, or the lighting does you no favors!!

I do plan to visit someday when you least expect it :)

• Members

Well thanks for the compliment. Meeting you caused me to age at an alarming rate. I'm dreading meeting you again - it might hasten my demise ;)

Looking forward to hearing your new project (if I live that long). Sounds like you're following your Sgt. Pepper with a more stripped down White Album :cool3:

• Members

Looking forward to hearing your new project (if I live that long). Sounds like you're following your Sgt. Pepper with a more stripped down White Album :cool3:

Well given how long it takes me between albums, everything is subject to change without notice!

• Members
Pretty cool Mark. Its funny how you have an image of someone and then you see them on video and suddenly you realize you had it all wrong. I actually love the directness here and would I think you should record more video of yourself working on tunes.

I agree that it's cool = but I'm not sure the image you get from the video is correct. In person he smiles a lot, is more jocular, and looks a lot younger! However the black and white sort of filme noire vibe is pretty cool...an idea worth stealing. I mean, being inspired by :)

• Members
Pretty cool Mark. Its funny how you have an image of someone and then you see them on video and suddenly you realize you had it all wrong. I actually love the directness here and would I think you should record more video of yourself working on tunes.

Funny you should mention that. I did this today

[video=youtube;ueCbhafSmIA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueCbhafSmIA

• Members
Craig' date=' do you have a pic of your studio anywhere online. This thread triggered a thought about all the different aspects of music that you cover and I wondered what your studio work space looks like.[/quote']

Nope, no studio pictures. It's not really all that impressive, it's designed to be utilitarian. It basically looks like a post-production suite.

• Members

This is awesome. :lol: Mind if I post a link to the video on Fredfin Wallaby's Facebook page?

You know there are some songs that you hear the first time and immediately think, "I want to play that one"? This is one of those.

It's such a strong exciting song, and the lyrics and music just resonate fantastically with our audience. We put it in places where we want the energy to build, like an opener, or after a quiet contemplative song to get the rock quotient back up. For our show in a week or so (Dec 13th, The Pour House in Raleigh again) we'll be saving it for the encore -- they really will be taken home by Black Market Daydreams. smiley-happy

Archived