Anyone fancy a bit of a challenge?

Mark L

• Members

I was messing about on my laptop today and I came up with a tune

Thing is, I've absolutely no idea where to go with it. So I was wondering if any of you guys would like to take hold of it, add to it (more instrumentation, vocals, whatever) and see what happens

I have a 320kbps mp3 file for each track (there are five of them altogether). So if you want me to email them to you, I can do that. I can't email WAV files - Outlook can't handle it

Anyway, here's the tune: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13257703

smile.png

• Members

I don't think you want me anywhere near it...I would turn it into an 80s song, maybe even with GATED SNARE DRUMS, and it would end up sounding like Bon Jovi or something. Then you would hate me forever and never sing background on any of my songs ever again. Besides, I think I used up my "Mark's Tolerance of WTF?!? Cover Songs" by doing a ballad version of "Only Ever After You." Don't want to push my luck.

• Members
I don't think you want me anywhere near it...I would turn it into an 80s song, maybe even with GATED SNARE DRUMS, and it would end up sounding like Bon Jovi or something. Then you would hate me forever and never sing background on any of my songs ever again. Besides, I think I used up my "Mark's Tolerance of WTF?!? Cover Songs" by doing a ballad version of "Only Ever After You." Don't want to push my luck.

Not so fast, Mr Bond. The original version of Only Ever After You (which contained completely different lyrics and was called A Simple Sound) was much slower than the version I sent to you. So it wasn't quite as big a shock as you think

By the way, I like your version. Even though you did change some of the words. Naughty boy!

• Members

Chances are Messr. Anderton could throw a lead on it that might not approach Eddie's speed, but would no doubt serve the song better.

Ha! Funny you should say that. On every album I do one really fast solo just to prove that I can. In Neo-, it's the solo in Little Pieces.

• Members

I felt it was essential to maintain the gravitas of the song when done in a slower context...but also I just can't sing the word "socks" in a song. :)

What dark days are these when American music-industry gurus can alter other people's song-lyrics at will? I despair, I really do ;)

• Members

Ruh Roh! Wasn't saying you couldn't.....

I didn't take it that way at all, I just think it was a funny comment because of my "gotta do one fast solo per album." It's like shredding makes a cameo appearance.

But back to Mark's song...Mark, do you have any lyrical ideas for it?

• Members

I didn't take it that way at all, I just think it was a funny comment because of my "gotta do one fast solo per album." It's like shredding makes a cameo appearance.

But back to Mark's song...Mark, do you have any lyrical ideas for it?

Not really, no. I had an idea to write an instrumental, but I got so far and ran out of ideas

• Members

Exactly. And even though the M8 is in 4/4 time, the effect is that there's one bar of 3/4 followed by another of 5/4, the whole thing repeated a few times. Hopefully it sounds disconcerting to the listener. The fact that the phrase closes the tune until fade-out is meant to further confuse the unfortunate listener :)

• Members
Exactly. And even though the M8 is in 4/4 time, the effect is that there's one bar of 3/4 followed by another of 5/4, the whole thing repeated a few times. Hopefully it sounds disconcerting to the listener. The fact that the phrase closes the tune until fade-out is meant to further confuse the unfortunate listener :)

It worked out that way for me Mark. I did find that disconcerting. But not discordant really.

I downloaded it because of the interesting time changes and have listened to it several times.

I'd love to contribute to it...But I'm not sure what.

Being a part of one of your songs is a bit above my paygrade I feel.

• Members

It worked out that way for me Mark. I did find that disconcerting. But not discordant really.

I downloaded it because of the interesting time changes and have listened to it several times.

I'd love to contribute to it...But I'm not sure what.

Being a part of one of your songs is a bit above my paygrade I feel.

I say go for it. If you say it's above your paygrade, that automatically means you're sufficiently modest that it's NOT above your pay grade. It's like when someone says they'll never to lie to you...you know you can't trust 'em :)

Collaborating with Mark is totally painless. Give it a shot! I covered Black Market Daydreams, and got a dream job at Gibson. Coincidence?!? You decide!

• Members

I say go for it. If you say it's above your paygrade, that automatically means you're sufficiently modest that it's NOT above your pay grade. It's like when someone says they'll never to lie to you...you know you can't trust 'em :)

Collaborating with Mark is totally painless. Give it a shot! I covered Black Market Daydreams, and got a dream job at Gibson. Coincidence?!? You decide!

Oh yes. Come in to my lair, Joe, and I'll show you my collection of ex-Gibson CEOs skulls. In one of them I keep my collection of plectrums, made from the toe-nails of ex-Fender CEOs. I have some Chianti on ice. We'll have a fine old time....

Archived