do studios in your area have great gear?

mbengs1

• Members

I've been accumulating gear for a year and i realized that pro studios here are already equiped with great amps and rack systems like marshalls and fractal axe effects. why would i have to use my own in recording? my rig sounds pretty good and i'm happy with my tone but still they are kinda cheap. bugera stack with boss distortion pedals and delay. I can record directly with the fractal and get killer tone. :cool12:

If we define "my area" by the space immediately around me at the moment, then I'd have to say "why yes - it's not too shabby at all", ;) but I can't say the same for all the other studios if my "area" is defined by the surrounding 10-20 square miles or so. If I'm willing to go an hour or two into LA, then sure - I can find a studio with whatever I might want or need in it.

I do have some decent guitars, amps and effects, and a good variety of different things for exactly that reason - to have lots of tonal options on hand in case they're wanted or needed. Not everyone avails themselves of that gear, and I'm just as happy to record "your" gear as long as it isn't problematic (buzzing or humming, bad intonation, etc.); a guitarist's rig is often an important element of their "sound", and a lot of players spend years getting the rig together that they prefer and that works best for them. My gear isn't meant to replace that, but to augment and support it as needed.

• Members
I've been accumulating gear for a year and i realized that pro studios here are already equiped with great amps and rack systems like marshalls and fractal axe effects. why would i have to use my own in recording? my rig sounds pretty good and i'm happy with my tone but still they are kinda cheap. bugera stack with boss distortion pedals and delay. I can record directly with the fractal and get killer tone. :cool12:

I don`t know of any studios in my area of Brooklyn which is kind of surprising. I live in the south end of Brooklyn where its less developed and quiet. Its the ideal location for a studio but I think you`d have to be really dumb to open up a studio today unless you`re loaded and just want a place. We had several really good recording studios here for a while but as far as I know, they all closed down.

• Members
I've been accumulating gear for a year and i realized that pro studios here are already equiped with great amps and rack systems like marshalls and fractal axe effects. why would i have to use my own in recording? my rig sounds pretty good and i'm happy with my tone but still they are kinda cheap. bugera stack with boss distortion pedals and delay. I can record directly with the fractal and get killer tone. smiley-cool12.gif

I've thought about where I would go if a band project suddenly landed in my lap and the first things I tend to think about are the rooms and the staff. Even if you're going to engineer yourself or bring in you own guy or gal, you want to know the gear has been treated right and maintained. The most revered gear in the world isn't much good broken or in the hands of a fool. Or both. Of course, one would want a modicum of quality, and I guess everyone has to set that bar as they see and hear it at any given time.

But that forms a kind of baseline, anyhow, If someone's running a 40 year old TASCAM 70-8, I'm not going to consider them (I've owned such a machine, only twenty years ago and I wasn't much impressed with the experience, which is not to say that the right such machine in the right hands couldn't do fine -- for the right job.)

(Me, I have a big problem with bad time domain performance, ie, wow and flutter. Once I started recording digitally I pretty much swore I'd never go back and I never really have -- though every now and then I fooled around with tape in various formats as the analog nostalgia fad progressed. The best analog machines did pretty good. But I never owned any of the best decks. And once I left rock behind, what I wanted could largely be gotten easier and better with properly used digital.)

Anyhow, with regard to the OP, I'd say if what you've got is working for you, and you're your studio's primary user, and you don't have to attract customers, you should keep on with what's working for you, until, you know, it doesn't. And even if you are doing some business and have to attract users, as long as you can show them good results from past efforts, that's a solid marketing point. Some folks (especially frustrated home recordists seeking the 'experience' of higher end gear -- because they've read or heard so many people going on about it) will not be satisfied with modest gear or 'compromised' production necessities, but, hey, that's life. Those other guys probably have a lot of debt overhead and either have to charge a lot to pay for it or cheat themselves trying to compete with low-ballers.

• Members
I've been accumulating gear for a year and i realized that pro studios here are already equiped with great amps and rack systems like marshalls and fractal axe effects. why would i have to use my own in recording?

My answer to this was because I like recording, I don't have to watch the clock, I can record whenever I want, I love great sounds and use great sounding amps for recording, and because it's fun. As always, YMMV.

• Members

Myself, I totally bond to my equipment, all the little nuances, the settings, the feel, the flaws and features, all of it. I hate borrowing, using other people's gear, even if it's clearly better as gear per se. Amps I guess shouldn't matter as much, but I'd still rather use my own if it's all the same. Piano, well, not much choice there. But I never seem to perform as well, at least in my own estimation, on "foreign" gear. Probably mostly in my head, but I'm stuck with the head I've got :)

nat whilk ii

Archived