New education project under way in Sweden

Mats Nermark

• Members

Hi,

For some years I have now led a project called ESME (Entrepreneurial Skills through Music Education) and it has been successful. The goal has been to create a common digital platform for everyone in the Kungsbacka municipality who are in some way interested in music and and children and use that platform to teach entrepreneurial skills while teaching music.

Some of you may know that I'm also producing a lot of free backing tracks for educational use. If you google BT King you will find 100+ original tunes with backing tracks in different styles.

These two areas has led to a new job offering. The local music school asked me to put together an educational concept based on the computer as a musical instrument. So I accepted and is now working half time with this project. The goal is that students can learn to create music without (initially) knowing anything at all about music. The thought is that the experienced joy of making music will create a thirst for more knowledge and thus there will be a learning situation driven by the student.

I have started a small tour of schools in the municipality where I visit music classes (ages 10 -18) and have a short presentation of how music production is done today with plugin instruments, recording with a computer, etc. I keep it very basic and in the end I tell them this knowledge is available to one and all. The response has ben great and next term we will start the actual classes.

The other half time I'm now working as a guitar teacher with my backing tracks at the music school.

Life can be good!

Cheers,

Mats N

Archived