Starting a new website

• Members

I`m working on a new design for my website… I finally decided to go with Squarespace after playing around with a few other contenders.

I`m just curious what kind of content you guys like on artists websites? I want to create something that will keep my small but loyal following coming back.

I was thinking of doing a weekly video of "behind the scenes" stuff. Sort of like EB TV… It would be a variety of things that would somehow end up with some music thrown in.

Just thinking out loud… any thoughts are appreciated. Have you seen anything on an artists site that you enjoy that you thought was cool and keeps you going back for more?

Thanks,

E

• Members
A link to your current website might be helpful

My old site is still up at: http://www.ernestbuckley.com but that site will be removed in a few days.

I`m more curious as to what you guys find interesting about sites you visit often.

So far I have these pages that I`m working on:

home: this will contain a news feed like feel

about: bio and contact info

events: schedule of live performances/appearances

music: this will contain a sub menu, each project will receive its own page

photos: another sub menu of live photos, studio photos, various others, etc...

video: of live performances, recording sessions, etc…

services: a page of studio services we offer from tracking/mixing to mastering, etc…

I`m just thinking, the video page should probably consist of links to YT inside of actual videos (to save space) and also… YT is the ideal place to have a channel. Thoughts?

I'd recommend including the kinds of things you don't get when you buy music, but used to (buy - there's a rapidly disappearing concept when it comes to music) - lyrics, liner notes and lots of photos. Bring people behind the scenes - make them feel like they know you personally, like they're a insider in your world. Give them glimpses of how you write and record, what goes into a show, etc. Maybe add a blog about what you do and why you do it.

• Members
I`m working on a new design for my website… I finally decided to go with Squarespace after playing around with a few other contenders.

I`m just curious what kind of content you guys like on artists websites? I want to create something that will keep my small but loyal following coming back.

I was thinking of doing a weekly video of "behind the scenes" stuff. Sort of like EB TV… It would be a variety of things that would somehow end up with some music thrown in.

Just thinking out loud… any thoughts are appreciated. Have you seen anything on an artists site that you enjoy that you thought was cool and keeps you going back for more?

Thanks,

E

I was considering SquareSpace for my photography site because the templates look exquisite and expertly designed, the site appears easy to navigate, and the methods/algorithms for their slide shows don't mangle the images. http://www.kenleephotography.com is my site as it stands right now.

• Members

I was considering SquareSpace for my photography site because the templates look exquisite and expertly designed, the site appears easy to navigate, and the methods/algorithms for their slide shows don't mangle the images. http://www.kenleephotography.com is my site as it stands right now.

You should definitely give it a go. Theres a 30 day trial. I signed up and had a couple of pages up in around an hour. And yes, the templates are beautiful, and most important (for me at least), its intuitive. They also have a help section that has short video tutorials (average 3 minutes) which introduce design ideas and how to). Blue helped me get my old site up on Wordpress but I found WP to be really confusing.

I also looked at Wix but it seems rather amateurish and I hate to say this but it was rather PC… whereas SquareSpace has more of an Apple feel/design to it…. aesthetically speaking.

• Members
I'd recommend including the kinds of things you don't get when you buy music' date=' but used to (buy - there's a rapidly disappearing concept when it comes to music) - lyrics, liner notes and lots of photos. Bring people behind the scenes - make them feel like they know you personally, like they're a insider in your world. Give them glimpses of how you write and record, what goes into a show, etc. Maybe add a blog about what you do and why you do it.[/quote']

I like those ideas. I had this idea to do something called EB TV a while back… just random short videos (3-5 minutes) of the writing recording process and some reality thrown in just to keep it light and random. And the lyrics… for sure.

Archived