Can you I.D. this vintage microphone?

rasputin1963

• Members

I'm watching a good TV series called BOMB GIRLS. Set in 1942, it chronicles the lives of several young women who work in a munitions factory in Canada as "Rosie the riveters", the women hired to build bombs for the Allied WWII effort.

This girl is to give a speech. Can you identify this vintage microphone she uses? Is it indeed a "period" mic from 1942? Is it just your bog standard mic of the day... or was it a costly number? Did it have a good sound?

ras

e6ae5f3a21ddb8601ea780d08cd92836.thumb.JPG.f43e03c6fee9886b1f22d53463f09cb0.JPG

• Members

I think we can be fairly certain this is a 1940 Astatic model... either Model WR-40 or WR-20. The two models look basically the same. Here's what I found for the WR-40.

Made: c.1940

Manufacturer: Astatic

Type: Dual diaphragm crystal uni-directional

The WR40 was the most expensive microphones in the Astatic line at the time, selling for $39.50 in 1941. The dual diaphragm design produced exceptionally high output and surprisingly smooth frequency response - and it was designed for cable lengths of up to 200 feet, making it ideal for location use.

fetch?id=31612803

I did not know any of this off the top off my head, but I was interested enough to do some sleuthing on google image search with my super secret magic key words because it touches on an interest of mine. I have an actual poster of Rosie the Riveter that I can't find on the web. It was in my dad's collection of WWII posters. He was a WWII U.S. Army Air Corps (Air Force) veteran. In my poster the girl is holding an electric drill and I also have a working drill just like in the poster. Unfortunately I can't find an example of my poster on the web, but I think I found your mic. My drill is in a box somewhere in the basement. I may dig it out if I get time. The poster too. I've moved twice in as many years and I don't know where half my crap is exactly at this moment. wink.png

Good sleuthing Beck. :cool2:

BTW, Astatic is probably more familiar to you under their modern name: CAD.

Is the mic any good? By the standards of its time it was pretty decent but nothing spectacular. Crystal mics tend to be really susceptible to handling and stand-borne noise, and a good ribbon mic from the same era (like an RCA 44) would generally be thought of as a much better sounding microphone.

• Members
I think we can be fairly certain this is a 1940 Astatic model... either Model WR-40 or WR-20. The two models look basically the same. Here's what I found for the WR-40.

Made: c.1940

Manufacturer: Astatic

Type: Dual diaphragm crystal uni-directional

Oh, thank you Bexter!!! What would we do without you?? phil-thumbs-up-small.gif An embarrassment of riches!

Archived