Slate RAVEN MTi 2—A RAVEN for the Rest of Us?

Geoff Grace

• Members

When Slate Media Technology first released the RAVEN MTX Multi-Touch Production Console a few years ago, it was a great idea: the ability to add multitouch control of Pro Tools with batch command features Pro Tools users could only have dreamed of. It was also prohibitively expensive for typical home studio budgets and it only worked with Pro Tools.

But the new RAVEN MTi 2—coupled with Slate's new RAVEN 3.0 software—greatly expands the choice of DAWs that RAVEN can control at a price that's more affordable: $999 for a 27" multitouch display that can control Ableton Live, Cubase/Nuendo, Digital Performer, Logic Pro X, Protools 10-12, and Studio One v3 on Mac as well as PC compatibility for Protools 10-12.

More here:

[video=youtube;8D0ERb1NtfI]

RAVEN MTi2, Multi-Touch Production Console

Best,

Geoff

• CMS Author

I wonder what it doesn't do? Work with Reaper or Mixbus out of the box, for two.

I guess a 27" monitor, when you take away the controls that aren't normally on a console, is about the size of a smallish 16 channel mixer. So you might be able to think of the setup as being similar to working on a digital mixing console.

For me, the difference is that with a real console (or even most digital consoles) there's a couple of real hardware knobs and buttons per channel. You can rest your finger on one while waiting for something that you need to adjust, and nothing happens until you move your finger. On my phone or tablet, about half the time I put down a finger, I get something that I didn't intend.

I'm looking forward to seeing this at the AES show, but I don't think I'll stand in line to buy one.

• Members
I also noticed that it says it's compatible with every major DAW... but doesn't mention Sonar either. I wonder what's up with that? :idk:

Well, it's currently compatible with the Mac versions of every DAW. As there's no Mac version of Sonar, they're left out—at least until RAVEN expands PC support beyond Pro Tools.

I don't see why they wouldn't expand PC support beyond Pro Tools. however.

Best,

Geoff

• CMS Author
It does sound very interesting. The price point is getting to be very reasonable IMO.

Mike, I also noticed that it says it's compatible with every major DAW... but doesn't mention Sonar either. I wonder what's up with that? :idk:

Under $1000 is good. Did you notice whether it has a monitor section in it like the big Ravens have? I noticed, too, that Sonar was conspicuous by its absence. It does, in a sense, customize the user interface of the application to a certain extent so that it doesn't just look like you're running the program on a big touch screen monitor. They have their tool bars that are always there, so they have to actually do what they're supposed to do with the program it's controlling.

They already had Pro Tools so that was easy. And they needed Logic for the Mac users who prefer it, and those who work on both Pro Tools and Logic interchangeably depedning on what they're doing. With Nuendo and Cubase you cover as wide a range of users as with Pro Tools. The ringer in the list, to me, was Studio One, but then PreSonus has been really active with touch screen control so there may have been all the hooks that they need.

I don't know that MixBus will ever make it into the "major DAW" class, though it would be a good one for Raven since its working paradigm is primarily as a console. Reaper was the alternate DAW for those who didn't want to buy into Avid, but I think that Avid has won that battle and there are only stragglers like me left that use Reaper.

I'd like to find out if I'd really be more comfortable using a DAW if I had a big control surface or panel like Raven, but they'd have to give me one in order for me to find out. I certainly can't justify the cost for the small number of moderately complex project that I do these days. Maybe I can get to be a case study. That could be fun.

• Members
Mike' date=' I also noticed that it says it's compatible with every major DAW... but doesn't mention Sonar either. I wonder what's up with that? :idk:[/quote']

SONAR has supported touch-capable monitors for about three years now IIRC, so Slate may see no need to develop for a market where there's already a solution.

Archived