Clever marketing, or kind of creepy?

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

I probably would have listened to it for 15 seconds before it wound up in the round file. The acapella vocal with buckets of autotune, and the annoying Rap type instrument that drags on through half the song till the poor quality drum samples kick isn't very creative.

I can see the youthful vocals and suggestive lyrics appealing to teens, but I don't see the musical production on this song being worth the effort of the novel distribution, but there again who would listen to it otherwise given the massive number of recordings out there with similar quality.

• Members

If it's specifically targeted to people, it's likely that they also know that they may be curious about cassettes. There's a number of places just in Los Angeles where there is a cassette DJ night, where people will DJ only things that are on cassettes and so forth. And there's still these odd (and definitely not common) cassette releases, although it's not even close to being as popular as vinyl releases, which everyone seems to do, major label or independent.

• Members

Clever but creepy. The creepy factor is magnified by the lyrics to the song. I would not want to be a young girl and get something like this in the mail. (I would not want to be a girl at all of any age, but you know what I mean) :cool03:

• Members

Young kids today are NUTTY! Trying to make their records sound Lo-Fi? pressing to vinyl or cassette? Aw, HELLZ NAH. Leonard Bernstein, shortly before his death in the mid-80's, said that digital was the best thing that had happened to music since Edison. I agree. I have no nostalgia for earlier recording media. :angry18:

• Members
Seems about 20 years late. A cassette tape? REALLY? At least use a CD or flash drive.

The kids are crazy for analog!

They don't know what it is, how it works, or why it's so much better -- but they are absolutely convinced that all forms of analog beat all forms of digital. And you can read hundreds of posts from them at places like GearSlutz -- and those are the ones that think they're recording engineers and producers. :D

• Members
If it's specifically targeted to people' date=' it's likely that they also know that they may be curious about cassettes. There's a number of places just in Los Angeles where there is a cassette DJ night, where people will DJ only things that are on cassettes and so forth. And there's still these odd (and definitely not common) cassette releases, although it's not even close to being as popular as vinyl releases, which everyone seems to do, major label or independent.[/quote']

They apparently just bought (or 'acquired') access to the roster of the Fueled By Ramen (FBR, a Warners fake-indie label) 'street team' and sent the cassettes (or 3X5 cards with a phone number they could call and hear the track over the phone) to everyone on that list. Since Transviolet (the band whose music was on the cassette) are, themselves, signed to major label Epic/Sony, people are wondering if Epic paid big bucks to get the FBR mailing list -- or if they 'acquired' it the same way hackers acquired juicy details about Sony artist gouging and mismanagement.

• Members
Young kids today are NUTTY! Trying to make their records sound Lo-Fi? pressing to vinyl or cassette? Aw' date=' HELLZ NAH. Leonard Bernstein, shortly before his death in the mid-80's, said that digital was the best thing that had happened to music since Edison. I agree. I have no nostalgia for earlier recording media. [img']http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/core/images/smilies/smiley-angry018.gif[/img]

I have loads of nostalgia. I loved tape machines. I love wind up, acoustic gramophones 'amplified' only by a horn. But I don't go out of my way to listen to either, as a rule. (OK, I would definitely go out of my way to hear another such grammophone at least once more before I clock out -- but, heck, I had a couple of unamplified 78 record players as a little kid, the first even had a wind up motor, no electricity involved at all. (Now THAT is nostalgic tech!)

Here's a blog post I wrote about some of my old tape decks.

• Members

I've been listening to the "Glitch" music of a German guy named Frank Bretschneider: That guy is fond of using notes which play in the highest and lowest human audible frequencies; stuff that would've been all-but-lost in analog recording/playback. I dunno, to me, that's "where it's at" (to use a nostalgic phrase) biggrin.gif I want to hear a cricket's fart in my recordings..

I have loads of nostalgia. I loved tape machines. I love wind up, acoustic gramophones 'amplified' only by a horn. But I don't go out of my way to listen to either, as a rule. (OK, I would definitely go out of my way to hear another such grammophone at least once more before I clock out -- but, heck, I had a couple of unamplified 78 record players as a little kid, the first even had a wind up motor, no electricity involved at all. (Now THAT is nostalgic tech!)

Here's a blog post I wrote about some of my old tape decks.

I enjoyed checking out the blog Blue. Thanks for posting that! :cool2:

Archived