Talk me out of an IZ Radar Studio

UstadKhanAli

• Members

Every time I begin considering a new DAW, often cursing the giant expense, constant updates and maintenance of computers under my breath, I consider stand-alone systems like RADAR and TASCAM. But I go back to a computer-based DAW.

Now RADAR has incorporated a dual-boot system, using RADAR and Pro Tools, which I'm already familiar with. And I can get a full 8 x 8 system for about $5500 or so. RADAR keeps their value and usability for a long time, as there are a lot of people that use 7. 8. 9, 10 year old systems without an issue and don't need to keep upgrading, as people often upgrade their computers every 3 years or so. I feel like I could ultimately save a lot of money, time, and aggravation by getting a RADAR/Pro Tools system.

From a conversation with a good friend who talked to the RADAR engineers recently:

1.) The imbedded Windows system is there just to provide rock-solid support for the DAWs, nothing else.

2.) Dual boot between RADAR and a fully functioning Pro Tools rig, running all the usual third party plug-ins.

3.) USB connectivity and numerous bays for 2.5" HDs.

Aspects my friend pointed out that may not be so great:

1.) Apparently they don't have a very high-res video output (DVI/VGA, I believe), so my 30" monitor may not be a giant advantage.

2.) No fold-back. I rarely use this anyway, but it sucks that it doesn't exist.

So what am I missing here?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.emusician.com/gear/1332/i...r-studio/51623

RADAR systems are the premier choice for multi-track recording and playback in some of the finest recording studios, scoring stages, theatres, and post-production houses around the world. Legendary musicians and producers record on RADAR because of its cutting-edge technology, rock-solid reliability, customization capability and, of course, the sound quality it delivers. Now, music producers can run their favorite DAW software and plug-ins inside RADAR studio for the best of both worlds.

RADAR studio Key Features:

• Breathtaking Sound - near-zero jitter, pristine signal path and the latest converter technology
  • Runs Pro Tools - track, mix and automate, using all plug-ins and features of native DAW software
  • Simplicity - just arm tracks and hit record. Focus on the music
  • Workflow - integrate iZ Session Controller and Meter Bridge for a traditional studio feel
  • Customizable - configurable I/O, drive bays, external media, DSP cards, and peripherals
  • Reliability - rock-solid, time tested performance; avoid endless techno-tweaking and mid-session reboots
  • World-renowned Support - comes with 10 years of free customer support.

"And it goes without saying, iZ tech support is second to none, they made sure our system was everything it was promised to be. We have run it 12-14 hours at a time without a single error and I know I can count on this system day in and day out," adds Brace.

See a introduction video from iZ President Barry Henderson here:

Pricing & Availability:

RADAR studio is now shipping and fully customizable. Pricing varies with configuration. Visitwww.izcorp.com to build your perfect system.

• CMS Author

I was pretty interested in the new Radar configuration when I heard about it at NAMM back in January, but it didn't turn out to be all that I dreamed it would. The integration between the classic Radar (which it is, in Radar mode) and a DAW isn't as close as I'd like. It would be really slick if you could take advantage of the classic Radar workflow during tracking, and have it running Pro Tools (or your favorite DAW) concurrently so that you could use the DAW for monitor mixes, virtual instruments, and signal processing plug-ins, then go directly to mixing without having to tell the DAW where the files are.

The fact that you can't run the two programs concurrently is going to take away a certain amount of freedom when recording. For example, if you're recording a synth or grand piano track with the sound coming from a sample library, you have to switch to Pro Tools for that or listen to a different sound while tracking and not hear the real thing until you move to the DAW. If the programs were truly integrated, when tracking with the Radar user interface, you could hear your virtual instrument coming out of the Pro Tools mixer. But they're not there yet, unless they've made that leap since January.

If Reaper was your DAW of choice (and it's one that has been tested on the Radar platform) you could probably live with the same CPU for years and years, but one can't be too sure of that if you're committed to Pro Tools. Avid wants you to continually update your Pro Tools, and if you need an 8 core CPU to keep up with the latest update and you only have 4 on the Radar (or whatever those numbers are) you're stuck. You probabaly can't throw $500 on a new motherboard and CPU chip and move on.

The advantage with Radar Studio is that you get a system that you don't need to fool with in order to get it to work. It probably costs less than a classic Radar and a separate computer for running a DAW. But when the day comes that you need a more powerful computer to run the DAW you want, you might be stuck.

• Members

RADAR Studio does look really interesting, even given Mike's caveats which, after skimming through Gearslutz threads (with the IZ President-guy fielding a blizzard of questions) are well-taken caveats.

It looks like you run in either classic RADAR mode, or in a DAW mode. The actual project files are in a special "archive" folder that is accessed by either mode/system. You have to "import" the tracks whenever you switch modes - the IZ guy says it's "super-fast".

The rub with RADAR has been the lack of plug-in support. So people would have a separate DAW machine and have to figure out how to fly tracks into the RADAR. RADAR is by all accounts a dream for old-fashioned live tracking, but put people off who wanted the all-in-one recording and plug-in environment of a DAW.

The Gearslutz threads did confirm that, if it applies, you can run UAD cards in classic RADAR mode - I've got three UAD cards, so that perked up my ears.

The IZ guy said something very interesting about their "relationship" with Avid - i.e., there is no relationship. They tried to get Avid to work with them on this to no avail, so, as the IZ guy put it, IZ got tired of waiting and just figured out the RADAR Studio option on their own.

So I'm thinking, ok, I've got a new tune sketched out in DAW mode on the RADAR, just chords on a virtual piano, with a sketch VST bassline and a percussion groove track as a metronome. It's time to start replacing these scratch tracks with real ones, and adding new tracks both live and VST-based. I'll have to convert all my MIDI tracks from the DAW side into audio, reboot or whatever into RADAR mode to do live tracking against those. And then back to DAW mode to do more VST-based stuff. So it would be a lot of back-and-forth switching between the two modes, which would get old. The beauty of all-DAW recording is being able to do anything and everything at any time.

Still, I would have the stablility and high quality of the RADAR on the live tracking side. People use their RADAR systems for decades - it's a no-worry, no computer-fiddling system. I'm thinking the time and aggravation savings of that alone could make up for the somewhat kludgy intergration of the DAW mode with RADAR mode.

Obviously, what would knock the ball totally out of the park would be if classic RADAR could run any and all plug-ins with no mode-switching.

If I did only live recording, this would be a no-brainer (if I could afford it.) But I use plug-ins so heavily, and I'm pretty addicted to my rather random workflow method (I track live or fiddle with effects or play MIDI stuff depending on what I feel like doing whenever) that the RADAR Studio would probably frustrate me to some extent unless I modify my workflow technique to stay in one mode or the other for much longer times.

Which defeats the all-in-one beauty of all-DAW recording. But I don't know - maybe I'd benefit from a little RADAR discipline...or maybe I'd find my inspirational steam venting out during constant mode-switching.

My long computer and software experience leads me to feel that this RADAR solution is definitely an improvement, but as Mike said, not quite there. Which makes me wonder how long-lived it will be. And for the DAW mode, there will still be all the bloody upgrades and subscriptions and bug fixes and bugs never fixed and mysterious gremlins and all that.....and how do you upgrade the RADAR computer power to run the ever more power-demanding versions of DAWs??? That I don't know.

Hard decision.

nat whilk ii

Archived