Nice hack

1001gear

• Members

verification questions for new members will work for a while until the spammers have their set of answers together

Admin Approval would be the best I think,

if all new members registering need to be approved by an admin before they can start posting, all the newly registered members are first put in an approval queue, and then only the non-spammer accounts can be activated.

• Members
verification questions for new members will work for a while until the spammers have their set of answers together

Admin Approval would be the best I think,

if all new members registering need to be approved by an admin before they can start posting, all the newly registered members are first put in an approval queue, and then only the non-spammer accounts can be activated.

My forum is set to require new users to have their first post approved. Works a treat keeping the spammers out and not much work :D.

My forum is set to require new users to have their first post approved. Works a treat keeping the spammers out and not much work :D.

What software are you using?

As far as I know vB allows us to Moderate New Members (manually approve their registrations one by one), but it doesn't have that feature where we could have their posts in a queue where only we (mods / admins) can see them until they're approved.

• CMS Author

What software are you using?

As far as I know vB allows us to Moderate New Members (manually approve their registrations one by one), but it doesn't have that feature where we could have their posts in a queue where only we (mods / admins) can see them until they're approved.

We have that ability with comments for articles and reviews..any way to exploit that?

Earlier vB would support moderator approval of new account posts. It also allowed you to set a threshold of posts before you could start a thread. That would work okay too.

• Members

Looked around a bit - whoa massive disconnect. In "My subscriptions" everything is shown as subscribed but if I go to one of the actual posts it shows "+ subscribe" at the top. If I subscribe to it there I suspect I'll start getting notifications? There's also someplace else that lists subscriptions that showed only the three forums I had subscribed to - subscribing to a post that was already in "My subscriptions" added it to that list. So, are there two different usages of the word "subscription" here? That's bizarre. And I still see no way to be autosubscribed (receive notifications of new replies) to a topic I've replied to - every forum I've ever used has that feature.

Archived