"Horror" audio is a whole genre unto itself.

rasputin1963

• Members

I see that audio for horror situations is a whole genre unto itself, with SFX created just to sound scary. The sound of ropes pulling taut, creaks/squeaks, damned souls in hell, maniacal laughter, demons growling, dogs barking, a whole slew of metallic sounds, childlike laughter, sub-bass frequencies, etc. And almost always with oceans of soupy reverb added.

Check out these UnLiving Portraits... Digital animations that play on a TV screen. But especially listen to the audio that accompanies them. Some people are just very good, I guess, at stringing together horror audio FX, and these strike me as particularly good, as there are many layers in the audio montage, woven together very smoothly.

I particularly like the discordant mash of old piano frequencies.

• Members
Similarly, I always thought this TV show theme was very good> It would be interesting to speculate on why these individual sonorities spell out "scary" to us (?)

The Unsolved Mysteries theme sounded like a mash of the original Law & Order theme with what I remember of the X-Files theme.

• Members
Very interesting question about whether what one culture interprets as scary is interpreted the same way by other cultures. I'm going to have to think about that one a bit and listen to the audio examples before replying...meanwhile' date=' my snarky response is I've heard some mastering jobs that were horrifying :)[/quote']

Like the very first release, in 1985, of the Motown catalogue onto CD?? :lol:

Archived