Please suggest a rack mixer (max 4U)/audio interface

Mats Nermark

• Members

Hi,

My old Mackie mixer i on its last breath and I need a new mixer.

I would prefer a 16 channel (16 mono or 8 stereo or any combination thereof) rack mount mixer (max 4U) with an integrated audio interface, that can also work as a stand-alone mixer when the commuter i turned off. Stable low-latence drivers is a must.

The only unit I have been able to find thus far is the Roland Studio Capture.

I have found numerous other mixers that have audio i/f capability but I have not been able to find out if they work without a computer.

Suggestions please!

Cheers,

Mats N

• Members

If you want one that will act as an interface and a mixer that's a tough item to find.

I haven't found many myself. Most digital mixers only have USB interfaces that record 2 channels and that's it. You were stuck using separate mixers and multichannel interfaces for live recordings etc.

The only other one I've come across is the Behringer 32X which may be overkill for your needs. The 32X can be bought with different boards for different applications. The multichannel interface is one of those options. http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/X32.aspx

• CMS Author

PreSonus has a rack mount mixer/interface similar to the Mackie, and there's a rack version of the Behringer X32. I think you'll see a few more of this concept if you can hold out until the NAMM show, Most of them are pretty much knobless and are intended to be controlled from a phone or tablet. Soundcraft has one that I think has the best remote control concept. While most of the other models expect you to have an iOS device to run their dedicated application, the Soundcraft is HTML and works with any web browser - phone or tablet of any persuasion, or even a real computer. What a concept!

• Members
PreSonus has a rack mount mixer/interface similar to the Mackie, and there's a rack version of the Behringer X32. I think you'll see a few more of this concept if you can hold out until the NAMM show, Most of them are pretty much knobless and are intended to be controlled from a phone or tablet. Soundcraft has one that I think has the best remote control concept. While most of the other models expect you to have an iOS device to run their dedicated application, the Soundcraft is HTML and works with any web browser - phone or tablet of any persuasion, or even a real computer. What a concept!

Thanks Mike! What I really would like is a rack mixer with easy access to knobs and possibly sliders on the actual unit. I'm very hesitant to get a mixer that's dependent on a tablet or smartphone as all of a sudden a mixer manufacturer decides that there's no money in supporting an old mixer when Apple comes out with a new iOS. A friend bought a Mackie mixer to use as a audio i/f but when he updates to the latest version of the MacOS to run the latest version of Logic the Mackie drivers didn't work. He called Mackie and they told him flat out that he could not expect any new driver for his mixer. I would not like to get into a similar scenario.

So far the Roland Studio Capture seems to be the only unit that works as a good sound card and a stand-alone mixer with fairly easy access to the basic parameters like volume and pan.

Cheers,

Mats N

• CMS Author

Thanks Mike! What I really would like is a rack mixer with easy access to knobs and possibly sliders on the actual unit. I'm very hesitant to get a mixer that's dependent on a tablet or smartphone as all of a sudden a mixer manufacturer decides that there's no money in supporting an old mixer when Apple comes out with a new iOS.

That's understandable, which is why I liked Soundcraft's approach. On the other hand, how long do you think Roland will be supplying drivers for a given product. I don't think there's a new driver for the Roland USB MIDI interface that I have. That's what happens when you combine two or three different technologies, from different manufacturers. I have a Mackie 1200F that works fine on my Windows XP computers, but that driver won't work under Windows 7. They did come out with the absolutely last driver for Vista and I've had one report that it works under Win7 (there aren't very many 1200Fs, which is why they didn't do a Win7 driver), however that driver requires a firmware update (which happens automagically when installing the driver) and Mackie never tested that firmware with XP and don't know if it will work. So if I do the update, I'll only be able to use it with my Vista or maybe Win7 computer.

So far the Roland Studio Capture seems to be the only unit that works as a good sound card and a stand-alone mixer with fairly easy access to the basic parameters like volume and pan.

It doesn't have a lot of knobs, so it depends on a menu to connect the function you want to perform with the nobs that you have. Honestly, I'd be more worried about the display dying and there being no replacement than about software obsolescence. I don't mind using old computers, but then I don't need all the latest gadgets.

• Members

That's understandable, which is why I liked Soundcraft's approach. On the other hand, how long do you think Roland will be supplying drivers for a given product. I don't think there's a new driver for the Roland USB MIDI interface that I have. That's what happens when you combine two or three different technologies, from different manufacturers.

Wise words Mike! I'll look into the Soundcraft.

Cheers,

Mats N

Archived