FWIW

1001gear

• Members

I found one of the four I must have rubber stamped and uninstalled it. That took its sweet time - 3, 4 minutes plus restart. THEN when I checked windows update there were several security updates from August that I somehow wasn't alerted to. :freak: I put those on hold till I can confirm them.

• Members

I think I am going to redo my systems where my desktop is on Windows 8 but not connected to the Internet at all (need Windows for Sonar and for work). My laptop currently dual-boots both Windows 7 and Linux Mint. Think I'll disconnect the Windows wifi driver and only use Linux for anything where I need to be connected to the net. This 'phone home' stuff (and everything they relay back to the Microsoft mother ship) is just getting out of hand.

• Members
I think I am going to redo my systems where my desktop is on Windows 8 but not connected to the Internet at all (need Windows for Sonar and for work). My laptop currently dual-boots both Windows 7 and Linux Mint. Think I'll disconnect the Windows wifi driver and only use Linux for anything where I need to be connected to the net. This 'phone home' stuff (and everything they relay back to the Microsoft mother ship) is just getting out of hand.

Microsoft trivia:

So many people were/are involved in the development of Windows that nobody knows how it works.

The ramifications to the end user are staggering. :eekphil: etc...

Following that train of thought, MS has announced that it will not supply specs to Win10 updates. :eekphil: :eekphil:

The exception being Enterprise users who for some inexplicable reason have a more urgent need to manage their operations.

So yeah, if you have a studio that works, prolly better IMO to leave it be.

:barreloflaffs:

I think I am going to redo my systems where my desktop is on Windows 8 but not connected to the Internet at all (need Windows for Sonar and for work).

For years, my main DAW didn't even have a modem installed in it. I finally broke down and put one in when I did my latest PC build, but it still gets used only for software installs and updates - and none of that is done automatically; it only happens when I decide to do it manually.

Knock on wood, but since implementing this, I have never had a single virus, trojan horse, adware or any type of malware infection on that system. I use my Macbooks for web-related stuff.

Archived