2015 MTV Music Awards: Did MTV Kill the Video Star?

Dendy Jarrett

• Members

MTV proper stopped being a music-video channel long ago. Some time in the mid 90s, wasn't it? As did VH-1 not long after. At this point, it hasn't been a music-video channel longer than it has.

OTHO, they have a few sister-channels available on most all cable and satellite providers that still play nothing but music videos for those who want that.

MTVHits plays....the hits.

MTVJams plays urban stuff.

mtvU plays 'college' and alternative music

plus they've got Palladia which is nice for us older folks along with

VH1Classics

VH1Soul and

VH1Megahits which still all program primarily music videos, I believe.

And CMT Pure Country plays the country videos now that CMT has become more like MTV is now.

All in all, there is probably much more music video on TV today than there was in the 80s.

• Members

We`re running in circles here. Music is a disposable medium now. Society does not have the capacity any longer to sit there for 4 minutes and watch a video. They rather surf the web and listen to tunes as background music. With the exception of us old geezers, those of us 40+, who will actually sit there and listen… music no longer has value. Neither does the artist. Disposable….

MTV had lots of success in the early 90s with The Real World. That sort of started the entire reality TV generation. Thats when MTV was huge. I don`t blame MTV for the current music industry situation but they have not taken advantage of their platform. They could do so much more in depth behind the scenes which could generate more interest in artists but I`m still not sure that equates to the general public buying music.

I`m not sure what the answer is because there is lots of good music being made but how many people are actually placing attention on it? The issue to me is about attention span. The ability to focus on one thing for more than 3 seconds…

Its not a music issue, its a human condition.

• Members

Most of it is just the changing times. Dendy laments the loss of that excitement of watching MTV for the first time and the culture influence the music videos had back in the 80s. Well, we (Dendy and I at least) were also in our 20s back then and music videos were the New Big Thing. I also imagine there were some folks our age (now) back then wondering why us kids were wasting our time sitting at home watching videos on the TV when we should be listening to the new hits tunes on a jukebox down at the malt shop like they did. Or on the AM radio while cruising the Boulevard.

There are more videos, and more places to watch them than ever before. And technology has meant they are better and cooler than ever. But they are old news. They aren't the New Big Thing 30 years later---obviously.

As far the awards show goes? I'm old so I'm not much interested in watching it, although I probably would have watched a bit of it had I known it was on and flipped past it. Instead I was probably watching House Hunters or something equally vapid but geared more towards people my age.

Looking at the list of nominees and winners though, I was surprised at not only how many of those songs I know, but how many of them I like. I've even managed to see some of the videos over the past year, and most of them I thought were pretty good.

As far as the presenters and winners going up on stage and dressing stupid and saying ridiculous things and trying to be "outrageous"? Yeah....what else is new?

• Members
Most of it is just the changing times. Dendy laments the loss of that excitement of watching MTV for the first time and the culture influence the music videos had back in the 80s. Well, we (Dendy and I at least) were also in our 20s back then and music videos were the New Big Thing. I also imagine there were some folks our age (now) back then wondering why us kids were wasting our time sitting at home watching videos on the TV when we should be listening to the new hits tunes on a jukebox down at the malt shop like they did. Or on the AM radio while cruising the Boulevard.

There are more videos, and more places to watch them than ever before. And technology has meant they are better and cooler than ever. But they are old news. They aren't the New Big Thing 30 years later---obviously.

You are right in so many ways as I can remember my grand parents and my parents saying similar things. I guess part of the points I make in the article are the relevance (or lack thereof) of MTV in the current music scene. What does a lifetime achievement award to Kanye from MTV really mean?

As far the awards show goes? I'm old so I'm not much interested in watching it, although I probably would have watched a bit of it had I known it was on and flipped past it. Instead I was probably watching House Hunters or something equally vapid but geared more towards people my age.

Looking at the list of nominees and winners though, I was surprised at not only how many of those songs I know, but how many of them I like. I've even managed to see some of the videos over the past year, and most of them I thought were pretty good.

As far as the presenters and winners going up on stage and dressing stupid and saying ridiculous things and trying to be "outrageous"? Yeah....what else is new?

Too funny - when I decided this show was a waste of time ... I turned to House Hunters on HGTV!! :D

• Members

You are right in so many ways as I can remember my grand parents and my parents saying similar things. I guess part of the points I make in the article are the relevance (or lack thereof) of MTV in the current music scene. What does a lifetime achievement award to Kanye from MTV really mean?

It means nothing. Probably doesn't even mean anything to Kanye. You're right that MTV is irrelevant to the music scene. But it's not MTV's fault. Like I said, they have a bunch of music video channels they program for cable. But nobody cares. Videos aren't the thing anymore. And, like Ernest noted, MTV has probably remained more culturally relevant with their new programming. "Real World" was the first modern reality show. "Teen Moms" has more cultural influence on young kids than the new Taylor Swift video is going to have.

Too funny - when I decided this show was a waste of time ... I turned to House Hunters on HGTV!! :D

In my case, it's partly because my day job involves real estate, but HGTV is the 'go to' channel at my house. It's MTV for 50-somethings. Instead of watching MTV hoping to catch the latest music and dream of being rock stars, my wife and I watch HGTV and look for tips on how to modernize our house and dream of expensive retirement homes we can never afford or how we might become rich flipping houses.

It's also not lost on me that most of the attractive-but-older females on these flipping show look like they were either former strippers or Real World cast members....

• Members
http://www.harmonycentral.com/articl...o-jump-a-shark

... After a while it dawned on me that I just couldn’t watch this anymore. I was interested in music, not Miley Cyrus’s ”hey, look at me!!” costume changes. I had better things to do, like watch paint dry...

My sentiments exactly...

Well, we have gone from my generation and my older sisters generation... all baby boomers who welcomed MTV. Then to Generation-X and currently the so-called, Generation Nothing.

Generation Nothing as defined by Urban Dictionary...

1) teenagers who write essays in text talk, drink, smoke pot, and f--k around. Members of Generation Nothing don't seem to have any hopes for the future or any intentions of bettering themselves or the world.

2) The "lights-on-nobody-home" dead eyed stare of someone with nothing to say. They tend to follow celebrity culture and shun all other ideas.

That could explain why Music Television no longer has anything to do with music. But looking at commercial TV (Mostly drug commercials pitched at we allegedly falling apart baby boomers) they should give up on the younger audience already and focus on the demographic that gave them life... and just play all our old videos. That way they could trim the budget by just having one channel again. Television (and movies ) is so 1950's.

• Members

My sentiments exactly...

Because, like...nobody's mom or dad ever said the same thing about Madonna?

I'm more than willing to discuss how the culture of music has changed over the last 30 years, but to the degree it comes down to saying "I'm more interested in the music than the latest pop tart's costume changes"...then what changes are we discussing exactly?

Well, we have gone from my generation and my older sisters generation... all baby boomers who welcomed MTV. Then to Generation-X and currently the so-called, Generation Nothing.

Generation Nothing as defined by Urban Dictionary...

1) teenagers who write essays in text talk, drink, smoke pot, and f--k around. Members of Generation Nothing don't seem to have any hopes for the future or any intentions of bettering themselves or the world.

Damned hippies! Oh wait....wrong generation....

2) The "lights-on-nobody-home" dead eyed stare of someone with nothing to say. They tend to follow celebrity culture and shun all other ideas.

"Hey, hey, we're the Monkees....." Oh wait. wrong generation....

. But looking at commercial TV (Mostly drug commercials pitched at we allegedly falling apart baby boomers)

You must watch a lot of cable news where the average age of the viewer is around 70?

they should give up on the younger audience already and focus on the demographic that gave them life... and just play all our old videos.

Yes. Let's show those young whipper snappers how to not be so self-centered and narcissistic, right?

• Members

and currently the so-called, Generation Nothing.

Who so-calls them that? I've never heard that before. Google turned up nothing for the term other than that Urban Dictionary definition you quoted which is attributed to someone called EmilyB3545. Is she "Urban Dictionary"? Who the f' is EmilyB3545?

The generation after Generation X is commonly called the Millennials

Just so you know, so you don't make that same mistake in the future.

• Members

Who so-calls them that? I've never heard that before. Google turned up nothing for the term other than that Urban Dictionary definition you quoted which is attributed to someone called EmilyB3545. Is she "Urban Dictionary"? Who the f' is EmilyB3545?

The generation after Generation X is commonly called the Millennials

Just so you know, so you don't make that same mistake in the future.

Nobody calls them Generation Nothing.

I work with young people. They work in my classroom. They're in the schools. Some are stupid and vapid, and some are not. Just like any other generation.

Another generation was called the "Me Generation". That refers to Baby Boomers, and that name actually exists. That name actually stuck.

• Members

Nobody calls them Generation Nothing.

I work with young people. They work in my classroom. They're in the schools. Some are stupid and vapid, and some are not. Just like any other generation.

Another generation was called the "Me Generation". That refers to Baby Boomers, and that name actually exists. That name actually stuck.

Funny what sticks and what doesn't. Makes you wonder who starts it and where it comes from originally.

I was reading something awhile back that a few names of been tried out for the next generation, but none have stuck yet. "Generation Z", "Homeland Generation" and, my personal favorite "iGeneration", have all be tried but none have stuck yet.

I guess you have to wait until they develop their own personality to some degree. And since this is pretty much the generation of those 10 and under....

• Members

I don't know how fast some of these things stick, and how much of it is media-driven. Regardless, "The Me Generation" certainly stuck.

In my opinion, "The Me Generation", at least in the U.S., have got to be the biggest whiners despite managing to screw up more than their share of stuff.

• Members
I don't know how fast some of these things stick, and how much of it is media-driven. Regardless, "The Me Generation" certainly stuck.

In my opinion, "The Me Generation", at least in the U.S., have got to be the biggest whiners despite managing to screw up more than their share of stuff.

The "Me Generation" is perfect. This is the generation that refuses to pay for anything. This is the generation that is whining that they might have no Social Security while being perfectly fine conducting wars in all sorts of God forsaken places as long as A) they don't have to be taxed to pay for them. and B) they don't have to send THEIR kids off to fight them.

But hey....I DID put a Yellow Ribbon sticker on the back of my Hummer......so don't say I don't support the troops, alright....?

• Members

The "Me Generation" is perfect. This is the generation that refuses to pay for anything. This is the generation that is whining that they might have no Social Security while being perfectly fine conducting wars in all sorts of God forsaken places as long as A) they don't have to be taxed to pay for them. and B) they don't have to send THEIR kids off to fight them.

But hey....I DID put a Yellow Ribbon sticker on the back of my Hummer......so don't say I don't support the troops, alright....?

No, I won't do that then! :D

So here's my take.

The biggest generation of whiners I've ever seen are Baby Boomers living in the U.S.

Whiny Baby Boomers complain about how kids don't have focus, they are stupid, they are lazy, they are entitled, they have no social skills. If they're not doing that, they complain about Muslims, illegal immigrants, Christians, non-Christians, women, blacks, Democrats, Republicans, them, that, this, that. It's always someone else's fault.

Meanwhile, they are the first generation with sky-rocketing divorce rates. They created the Wall Street debacle. Greed. Record company profits and bean-counting resulting in crappy sounding music, only to turn around and complain about how music sucks now. Wahhhh. They turned the internet into a giant shopping mall. They created No Child Left Behind and then only funded 40% of that, bringing the entire educational system to its knees, then said it was the teachers' fault, and oh yeah, teachers make too much money and are a drain on the economy (wait, what?). They started two wars, one of which was completely unnecessary and built on bullsh*t WMDs that the rest of the world already knew was bullsh*t. They tried to teach kids that "everyone is a winner", but are the first generation that don't bother showing up to their kids' Open House...or showing up to much of anything at all that had to do with their kids. They borrowed billions of dollars from the Chinese government knowing that this would screw future generations of Americans. They created "free love" so we'd have lots of fun communicable diseases. Wheee! Thanks! They lobby for pharmaceutical companies and tobacco, barring African countries from getting cheap generic drugs that would save them from malaria and other easy-to-address diseases. They created the super-quick hyper-edits that are now a hallmark of every TV show, MTV programming, and movies but then accuse younger generations of having short attention spans. They are the first generation that refuses to age gracefully, instead pretending that they are teenagers. They point their fingers at everyone else but themselves.

THIS is the generation that has raised/influenced each subsequent generation. And yet they are complaining about them?

Baby Boomers need to look at themselves squarely in the face and think about how they have changed the world for their kids. Then they need to put down their smartphones and their Xanax, STFU and start making reparations for their crappy parenting and the condition they have left the world in for future generations.

• Members

It's too bad there's not any twenty-somethings to tell their perspective on things around here. They've probably been run off by all the grandpas waving their canes at 'em from the porch, bellowing, "Get off my lawn, you crazy kids! Whyyyyy, in my day........"

It's pretty easy to see all the people here who don't interact with lots of kids or twenty-somethings. They're all the ones posting about how an entire generation sucks while using an app on their smartphone that a team of 22 year olds designed for them. :D

• Members
It's too bad there's not any twenty-somethings to tell their perspective on things around here. They've probably been run off by all the grandpas waving their canes at 'em from the porch, bellowing, "Get off my lawn, you crazy kids! Whyyyyy, in my day........"

And the irony, of course, being that these same Boomers were the generation who invented "don't trust anyone over 30" and first heard more than any other generation from their parents how much their music sucked, how much their clothes and fashion sucked, how lazy they were, how decadent and depraved their sexual morals were, etc etc etc.

If there should be ANY generation that should understand "kids these days" well, one would think it would be the Boomers. Instead, they became just like their parents (or worse) more than anyone could have ever imagined....

• Members

And the irony, of course, being that these same Boomers were the generation who invented "don't trust anyone over 30" and first heard more than any other generation from their parents how much their music sucked, how much their clothes and fashion sucked, how lazy they were, how decadent and depraved their sexual morals were, etc etc etc.

If there should be ANY generation that should understand "kids these days" well, one would think it would be the Boomers. Instead, they became just like their parents (or worse) more than anyone could have ever imagined....

Yeah, I think that part is really weird and funny.

The other thing is the very thought that the youngest upcoming generation is dumber than all of history's generations that have come before them. Um. Yeah.

• Members

That's true. Should I delete my post?

Actually, it's probably a topic for another thread.

The Boomers were the first "Lazy Kid" generation. Prior to the Great Depression and the economic reforms of that era, most teenagers worked. And I don't mean had a part-time job after school at the malt shop---they worked in coal mines and sweatshops. Then there was WWII, which if teenagers didn't actually participate in, they stayed home working to support the war effort. The Boomers were the first generation to really be able to fully embrace doing nothing after school and on the weekends and have parents that had enough money to indulge them in their doing-nothing-ness

If there were no Beatles or Zeppelin prior to the Boomers, it probably had a lot do with the fact that most working class kids before the Boomers had to actually work and help support the family. They didn't have the luxury of being able to sit around in garages learning to play musical instruments and write songs about being "working class heroes".

And yes...some great music and art came from those otherwise idle hands in the 60s and 70s. And yes....good for them that they contributed to our culture in that way.

But what else did they contribute to society? And what were the opposite-effects of a self-indulgent, narcissistic generation primarily obsessed with how long they could grow their hair and what new noises could they make with their guitars?

Many boomers want to argue that their generation was the peak of western civilization. But if that's the case, weren't they also the ones who initiated the decline?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived