Interested in my (free) Kemper profiles?

• Members
How do you like it? I think it's an extraordinarily cool piece of technology!!

The short version is that I love it.

It supplies me with all the sounds I need for my song writing, studio work and teaching situations.

In the beginning when Kemper first approached me about beta testing, I thought it indeed was a cool piece of technology but I was also somewhat unbelievable that it could do what they said it could. So I got it and played around with the provided profiles and the internal fx. I also started profiling, both at home and at pro studios. Both my own amps and borrowed amps. I soon realized that the KPA (Kemper Profiling Amplifier) was a marvelous unit. It really captures the individuality of the amps you profile, if you half know what you are doing. Somewhat surprisingly to me was how good the fx are. The compressor is the best compressor for my guitars I've ever tried. Digital or analog. Single coil or humbucker. The modulation fx are sublime but effective.

Kemper is continually updating the firmware adding new eatures and fx. The Rig Exchange on the web contains thousands of free profiles. Some good, some bad and a few simply excellent.

The next big thing that came along was The Amp Factory. An Englisg guitar player and studio guy Andy started selling his profiles. His Marshall 1987x and Evil Robot profiles are stunning and the took the KPA to new hights.

Next step forward both for the KPA and for me personally was when Michael Britt from the band Lonestar, started using his KPA on tour with his own profiles and people started encouraging him to sell his profiles. He started doing that and when he got his hands on a real Dumble and some Dumble clones he asked me to beta test the rigs for him as I love tweaking the KPA and play that kind of sound a lot. So not only did I get some excellent Dumble profiles but also got to know Michael who is a gentleman.

When I come to think of it, the KPA has had a social impact on me in kind of the same way the Harmony Central had many years ago when I started hanging here. It has given me international friends that I keep in regular contact with and the discussion has widened to include life in general and not only gear.

From a technological perspective, the KPA is a complete joy. Easy to tweak to fit my personal dynamic touch, the UI is so easy to use it's almost ridiculous and the sounds sit really well in my mixes. It allows my guitars to let their own individuality shine through.

From an economic view it's been an excellent investment as I have since getting it not bought one single pedal or rack unit for guitar. My old studio pedalboard had 15 pedals (1 chorus, 3 compressors and 11 OD/boost/dist) and was so heavy I couldn't lift it. No all but two of the pedals are sold and for the money I got for the pedals, I got a similar amount as a KPA costs.

Started a session yesterday and will continue today and I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Mats N

Archived