East-West's "Composer Cloud"...hmmm...

Anderton

• Members

So now we have a rental/subscription plan for big-$$ sound libraries. You can still by products outright, too. I think this makes a lot of sense - how many times have composers needed a specific set of sound libraries for a project, but then won't need them again for a while, if ever? I can really see content going this way: you need something for a project, you rent it, done.

What I find particularly interesting, though, is that when announced last April it was $50 a month to access all of East-West's sound libraries. Now, only three months later, it's dropped to $30 a month. Which gets the little business part of my brain thinking...why? Is it because they didn't get traction at $50, and needed to lower the price? Or that they're getting traction and figure now is the time to pour gasoline on the fire? Or maybe they did a bunch of marketing surveys and found out $30 was the sweet spot...

In any event, another interesting development on the "new ways to sell and distribute software" front.

• Members

Yeah, I noticed that too. It's a bit like an expanded demo concept seems to me. You pay a little, get limited-time access to an incredibly huge resource. If you take to the content, you stay on the hook and over time they collect enough to offset the giveaway.

East-West stuff is super quality. I use their Quantum Leap Pianos and the Fab Four sample set is another go-to library for me. And for anyone who wants to make mockups for films, it's a no-brainer as their cinematic material is what you're already hearing all the time on a zillion trailers. "this time it's boom..boom...boom...boomboomboomboomboomboomBOOM!!!....personal."

nat whilk ii

• Members
Yeah, I noticed that too. It's a bit like an expanded demo concept seems to me. You pay a little, get limited-time access to an incredibly huge resource. If you take to the content, you stay on the hook and over time they collect enough to offset the giveaway.

I also think it's a clever way of letting people try out libraries they might not try out otherwise. And if someone finds themselves using a couple of libraries all the time, they can do the math and if appropriate, stop renting and just buy them.

• Members

It's always nice to have options. I'm all in favor of subscription-based software—as long as long as it coexists with, and doesn't replace, the traditional sales model.

I hadn't realized East West had lowered the price on the Composer Cloud. Thanks for the info, Craig!

Speaking of subscription-based software, Slate Digital jumped into the fray today with a strong offer of their own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6KY2Ffvh3w&utm

Best,

Geoff

• Members

For companies that do rentals, I'd like to see even smaller increments. For example, I really like Audition's noise reduction options but it's not worth renting it for a month to clean up noise on samples that will take me about an hour. I'd be more inclined to do software rentals if daily and weekly rental options were available.

The model for this is Studio Instrument Rentals, where you could rent a particular guitar or whatever for a session.

Archived