Looking for new headphones to use on-the-go?

• Members

The big problem I see with comparing headphones is specs. Have you ever seen any meaningful specs on headphones designed for mobile devices? You'll never see specs on efficiency, and frequency response specs often don't give a dB tolerance.

And I doubt we'll ever see a spec for reliability...:)

I still use Monster Turbine Pros, I like them a lot. They're stupid expensive, though...I suspect a lot of that is profit margin, but the transient response and even bass response (as well as the ability to reduce outside noise) appeal to me.

The big problem I see with comparing headphones is specs. Have you ever seen any meaningful specs on headphones designed for mobile devices? You'll never see specs on efficiency, and frequency response specs often don't give a dB tolerance.

It's a big problem, no doubt about it... and not just for consumer products, but also in the pro audio world too. At least in PA, you would expect for the buyers to know that there are lies, damn lies, and specifications. ;) In consumer audio you really can't expect the average consumer to know even the basics, and that even if they did, the manufacturers don't all use the same points of reference, making comparisons nearly meaningless unless they know how to convert them - which of course they don't, and the manufacturers know that...

Archived