A new (old) toy for free !!!

• Members

It's likely an original Direct X plugin that dates back to Win95.

I have many old 95/NT plugins that will run on win 7 as Direct x 12 which seems to be backwards compatible. When I open an older program like Cool Edit in Win 7 they are listed in the DirectX plugins and do function. You may need a DAW program that can still see them. Reaper, Sonar, Acid, Adobe, FL Studio, Magix, Sony Vegas, and Steinberg can see and use many DX plugins, but since no ones made DX plugins in a long time newer DAW programs may not see them. I know Sonar X1 and Adobe do but the rest are pot luck.

There may be other things that make it only work with an older OS or sound card, but its at least worth trying on a newer system. if it doesn't let you set it up, you can right click and try installing it as an administrator.

• Members

That's pretty cool, Dan! I have a few old SoundBlaster PCI and PCI-X cards laying around. I wonder if they would work.

The oldest OS I have running is XP SP2, but I still have Win 98SE install CD's around as well. And lots of old hardware I just never get around to tossing. Still have one of my old favorite Motherboards... Shuttle HOT-557 and all sorts of processors, RAM, etc. I could see setting up an old system just to run stuff like this.

The oldest OS I have running is XP SP2, but I still have Win 98SE install CD's around as well. And lots of old hardware I just never get around to tossing. Still have one of my old favorite Motherboards... Shuttle HOT-557 and all sorts of processors, RAM, etc. I could see setting up an old system just to run stuff like this.

I have some old hardware and OS disks floating around too, so it wouldn't be too hard to set a dedicated system up for this or that, and they can be a lot of fun - but at some point, keeping them going starts to become too challenging for me. The PS or video card goes out and you can't get a replacement anymore, etc. That can really hurt if it's something you've come to rely on / use heavily... but as long as you still have the parts and you can do something useful with them, then why not? :)

I'm a big fan of using multiple computers for different things. I'm currently sitting in front of a Mac and a PC, with a pair of iPads around here someplace, a smart phone in my pocket, and three more computers down the hall... that's not to mention the stuff that's in storage in the garage. Unless it's completely dead and worthless, I usually donate or store my old computer stuff.

Archived