I'm a featured member on the National Geographic Your Shot Page!

• Members

This is CRAZY. I'm a featured member on the National Geographic Your Shot Page!!!! Wow!!!!! So this isn't just one shot. I've been featured in the National Geographic Daily Dozen twice, which is an enormous honor. But this is off the hook, as they are featuring me on the front page, featuring all the photos and all.

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/people/

Here's a screen shot in case it changes by the time some of you see this.

national-geographic-your-shot-screen-shot-2015-07-22-at-5-46-09-pm-1100pxforweb.jpg

• Members

Oh, as a bonus, my new shot has reached "Upcoming" on 500px.com, and I thought I'd share it with you, seeing as it's all high-res and all that. This is Brush Creek Falls in beautiful West Virginia, USA. Thanks!!!

https://500px.com/photo/115849337/almost-heaven-by-ken-lee?utm_campaign=photo_reached_upcoming&utm_content=textlink&utm_medium=email&utm_source=500px&utm_term=notification

• Members

Geez! There are a few there I haven't seen. Great! The bus... that's crazy man. I mean, crazy it's there (I'm guessing it's an 'installation' but crazy, anyhow).

As always, stunning photos.

PS... I hadn't seen the temple shot that pops up as the feature image sometimes. That's really something. You know, you're a great photo -- but it doesn't hurt that you find these amazing places... wink.png

• Members
Geez! There are a few there I haven't seen. Great! The bus... that's crazy man. I mean' date=' crazy it's there (I'm guessing it's an 'installation' but crazy, anyhow).[/quote']

It is. I get a lot of comments about that bus, especially since I light painted it so it looks really otherworldly! :D For some reason, South Americans in particular seem to go nuts over photos like that, and keep wanting to visit just to take photos of the place!!!

As always, stunning photos.

PS... I hadn't seen the temple shot that pops up as the feature image sometimes. That's really something. You know, you're a great photo -- but it doesn't hurt that you find these amazing places... wink.png

Location, location, location.

I spend a LOT of time researching where to take photos, gaining admittance, checking out Google Earth, and determining the best time to take photos of certain places. A lot of work goes into it.

Anyway, thanks. And now, the temple. Here's what I wrote about the temple, actually a stupa, on my Facebook photography page. A friend of mine got the attention of the guy who built it, and he contacted me, complimenting me on the photo, and describing the difficult circumstances under which he built it:

"Shanti Stupa is a steep 555 steps above Leh at over 3657m/12,000 ft. in elevation, and was built by Japanese Buddhist Bhikshu Gyomyo Nakamura in 1991 when there were no roads or lights, using six donkeys for help. The stupa holds relics of the Buddha at its base, and was enshrined by the Dalai Lama. I've gone here on each of my three visits to Ladakh, the first time in 1997, six years after it was completed. As a bonus, I have been in contact with Mr. Nakamura, thanks to Joan L., and I am honored and super excited to say that he's been describing how he built this and was complimentary toward my photos of the Shanti Stupa area!!!!

Shanti Stupa is lit up at night....up until midnight. After that, I was able to light paint it and be able to photograph the sky as well without too much contrast from the lit-up stupa."

• Members

His photography is absolutely delicious.

Congratulations Ken! :philthumb:

It was even tastier when I used Polaroid. Mmmmmm, dipping those photos into some garlic sauce...seriously delicious.

Thanks! And thanks for using the Phil thumb!!! I like it when Phil uses a virtual thumb of his to do a thumbs up.

• Members
Congratulations Ken! Nat Geo is definetly the big time! Well deserved!

Thanks. And yeah, National Geographic? That's pretty big, especially if one of my photos can make it into the print edition!!!!

There's two things that made my head spin as a kid for photography: NG and the Travel Section to the LA Times.

With the latter, I used to have this paper route when I was 14, but with the Herald Examiner (I'm dating myself, I realize, as I've just name-checked W.R. Hearst's completely defunct newspaper! :D ), and I would sometimes trade one of my extra copies for a Sunday edition of the LA Times from another paper route kid because my parents never got the Times. And I traded newspapers was because I really wanted to see these phenomenal places and mind-blowing photos of far off places. I would often not even bother waiting to get home and would sit on a curb somewhere and read the Travel Section!!! So to me, #1 was having photos appear in the Travel Section, and not just that, but actually winning the Reader's Travel Photo of the Year. It's huge for me because it just takes me back to being a kid and having that sense of wonder. That's never gone away.

And the other was National Geographic. My school had some of these Nat Geo magazines on the shelves, and during free time, I would check them out, dreaming of traveling to places like Africa or the Himalayas, wondering how it felt to be there, and looking at these amazing photos of people that I could barely imagine were like. So I don't know what NG is like for other photographers, but that's what it conjures up for me.

So I believe that's what these two things are about for me. It's this total dream of a kid.

Archived