The Distortion of Sound

• Members

You might also find this interesting - there's a theory afoot that the Robert Johnson recordings were sped up when mastered:

http://www.truthsayer.info/king-delt...s-wrong-speed/

Myself, I often pitch shift recordings to practice against if they aren't in "A" 440. Examples:

Can't You See - Marshall Tucker (+20 cents)

Mustang Sally - Wilson Pickett (+20 cents)

Domino - Van Morrison (-35 cents)

I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Ike & Tina Turner (-75 cents)

Then there are the ones done with the guitars downtuned 1/2 a step. As none of my bands switch tunings on-the fly I "correct" those too so that we can conveniently practice them at home. The one band I'm in that does tune down I just use the built-in pitch shifter in my Tascam BT-1 and I assume the guitarist tunes up. He's tuned Eb and I'm always tuned D regardless of the guitarists' tuning just so I can mess with their heads wink.png (plus I really like having that low "D" :cool: ).

• Members

Oh, and somewhat on the same subject - most of the "fast motion" we grew up with seeing in old silent movies is caused by them being projected too fast. The films were hand cranked both when shot and projected, with the films going out to theaters with cranking instructions. The adoption of fixed speed motorized projectors in later years (especially in TV stations) and the addition of sound tracks to them by studios lacking the equipment to change their frame rate variably (only really possible recently?) led to us not having ever seen them projected correctly frown.gif . They were often shot around 18 fps and the projectors running 24 fps. TV stations here did have projectors that could do the required 24 fps to 60 fps mechanically - in Europe they just sped up the film 4% to 25 fps which is why to this day Europeans think us Americans talk too fast wink.png .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine

• Members

Pretty boring video if you ask me.

Only about forty seconds of any technical info explaining the problems with mp3s from about (9:20 to 9:59) and twenty one minutes of people complaining how bad they sound. Not only that, the graphics from about 11:45 to 12:15 seem to be confusing data compression with what looks to be audio compression.

Archived