Hmm... "mastering" topic no longer loads (gets blank screen)?

• Members

Anyways I shot some video on the 4th which was marred audio-wise by occasional fireworks and being too close to the horseshoe pit (clang! LOL). I usually just use Avidemux's built-in DRC (not sure it really does anything?) and normalization to do a 720P "print" but the HUGE peaks made the audio level WAY too low 16x16_man-frustrated.png . My "solution" was to use FFmpeg to extract the audio, process/re-encode it in Audacity and use FFmpeg again to replace the original audio track. I didn't want to change the dynamics so some sort of "pop" filter would have been ideal but I saw none - so I just amplfied it 24dB (judged by eye) and used the "clip fix" effect. This worked out great IMO - but I'd like to ask folks here what they would have done using only "free" tools? Dunno if one of the comps would have been fast enough to level the HUGE peaks without noticeable "pumping".

Note that this was a continuous 5 hour "shot" of a couple different "bands" I was playing in at a backyard party - that's why the audio wasn't set higher when recorded. FYI I shot an 11 hour video at a multiband benefit in early June - SDcards are reusable and hold HUGE amounts of data, unlike the bad old days of tape or film smile.png .

• Members

I use Sonar Producer for Video and I can use any of my normal audio tools for RX/Enhancing audio tracks. On things like Fire Cracker pops or the clangs you're talking about I'd likely just expand audio track time and zero in on the actual annoyance and manually bring its levels down with an envelope. I probably wouldn't attempt to just slap a filter on there and let it run. While I was at it I'd likely use the normal EQ, Multiband and limiting to master/enhance the audio track which should also smooth any dips where I did the manual edits.

I'm usually pretty good at doing major restoration on audio tracks but some times you can only go so far without major issues. Video is even more difficult because hard edits involve frames so I'd focus on. Play the video through, use your time ruler and write down the most offensive noises and then focus on their reduction, not elimination. Everyone's going to know its a 4th party anyway so use it to your best advantage where you can.

• Members
I'd likely just expand audio track time and zero in on the actual annoyance and manually bring its levels down with an envelope. I probably wouldn't attempt to just slap a filter on there and let it run. While I was at it I'd likely use the normal EQ' date=' Multiband and limiting to master/enhance the audio track which should also smooth any dips where I did the manual edits.[/quote']Interesting. In this case the video is mostly for us to look at and see where we can improve - so I didn't want to spend the time to manually fix each "pop" and definitely didn't want to alter the dynamics or EQ. And there is about 4 hours of "finished" footage that would need combing through. I suspect some sort of look ahead peak limiter could do what you would do manually? I'll have to spend a bit more time with Audacity smile.png .

Hmm... "mastering" topic no longer loads (gets blank screen)?

That is an issue that we're aware of and that is being worked on. It's not just that thread - it's happening sporadically on various threads throughout the site. Try it again in a bit and it might load fine. The thread itself is still there.

• Members

A full 4 hours would be a bitch. I normally crop live videos down to separate songs and dump all the in between garbage. A 4 hour continuous feed will often break down to half of that when you dump all the dead air between tracks. I crop them per song too in case you have one or two train wreaks in there you want to get rid of. Then you can burn them to a DVD as individual tracks or combine them into a continuous track.

There's allot of ways of doing it but you want a quality video you got to dump the boring stuff. Maybe save some crowd stuff every so many songs so you know who was at the party.

Then if you have glitches between songs due to hard cuts there are editor programs you can get that will do some professional fly ins, fade to black, Picture flips and all that kinds of stuff. Plus you can run your credits in the beginning and end and really spiff it up to look professional. It takes time of course and the material needs to be worthy of the work, but it may be worth it especially from the educational aspects.

****Just be sure you work on a backup copy and not the original****. You want to save that original because both technology and your ability to use it improves with time. I have videos going back a good 30 years I've re-edited a few times and each time I got better results using new programs and techniques. Last one I did I had no bass player so I went and added the bass track in on a series of recordings. I also split the track into stereo using some pseudo stereo techniques and it wound up sounding pretty good on the wide screen with surround.

• Members
but you want a quality video you got to dump the boring stuff.
In this case the goal is to show the band members how much we suck ;) and hopefully inspire improvement :) . This is actually a fairly common usage of audio (and more recently video) recordings of rehearsals and performances - AKA "postmortems". It's a lot more diplomatic to say "Hey guys, check out what we did - whatcha think?" than to say "Hey guys, all you all suck and need to get yur arses in gear" ;) .

• Members

BTW the five bands I'm in don't consistently suck wink.png - here's a recording from a rehearsal (and auditioning a 'bone player) that came out so good I had to post it to our FB page! Just a Zoom field recorder in the room, probably with "autolevel" on (not my recorder). PA was a pair of Bose L1's downstage pointed towards each other as monitors/mains (our normal setup):

http://aspinock.com/You%20Can%20Leav...oad%20Owls.mp3

Hmm... i was going to reply to WRGKMC's comment but you can't quote/reply-to comments? Oy vey 16x16_man-frustrated.png .

Hit the comment button on the same post he commented on and then write your comment. If no one else beat you to it, your comment will appear directly below his. Comments have never been "quotable" and lack a comment button of their own - only regular posts have that. Sorry!

• Members
I'm not sure - what would that buy me?

The ability to select and trim/erase the firework noises and clangs, leaving the rest of the audio almost completely intact.

It's very intuitive to use. However, it would probably be quite time consuming to do on a 4hr long piece of audio - you'd have to manually select and trim every single instance of noise.

• Members

The ability to select and trim/erase the firework noises and clangs, leaving the rest of the audio almost completely intact.

It's very intuitive to use. However, it would probably be quite time consuming to do on a 4hr long piece of audio - you'd have to manually select and trim every single instance of noise.

It does have it and I'll have to play with it, thanks! I also found a "reverse noisegate" AKA "pop mute" plug-in that works OK.

Archived