A bit of a rant...

Has anyone else noticed websites that have pop-up boxes that show up when your mouse pointer scrolls towards the top of the page - you know, when you're getting ready to navigate away from that page? I've been noticing this showing up on more and more websites lately. Here's just one example:

http://www.mixonline.com/news/classi...zombies/424710

I understand the need to run ads to keep a site going, but it's getting ridiculous on some sites. Video and news sites seem to be the worst. Hey, I don't mind watching a thirty second video commercial every once in a while, but half the time, they want you to watch the same dang video ad in between each and every content video you watch. You wind up spending nearly as much time watching ads as content. Frankly, I either turn the sound down during the ad, skip it after a few seconds (if the site allows that) or just click the X and forget about watching the content at all - sorry, but your content isn't so compelling that I'm willing to sit through the same video ad for the umpteenth time just to watch it for sixty seconds.

At least with the "WAIT!" pop-ups, you can safely just ignore them (which is kind of hard - they're designed to catch your attention, and they do manage to do that effectively) and click your browser's back button to navigate away from the page, or the X to kill the tab, but how long is it going to be before they make them so you have to click out of the ad first before navigating away from the page?

Sorry for the rant, but I find obtrusive ads that you're forced to watch or that "take over" your browser to be extremely annoying. What about you?

• Members

I've seen this a lot too. I usually close the page and go somewhere else.

I wonder how many advertisers realize that we don't see what is popping up most of the time. We close it before we can really look at it. And if we do look at it, we think it's annoying, not the sort of association one would ordinarily want with their product or service.

• Members

This one is easy to fix: AdBlock browser extension.

Web page hosts hate ad blockers on principle, but I find them indispensible to doing anything on the web.

Actually, when in electronic media history (including radio and TV) has the relationship between advertising and sales ever been established? I argue "almost never" except perhaps in the case of Ronco commercials ('Pocket Fisherman' and the like).

• Members
I dunno - that ad for the Ronco spray-on hair, as appealing as it may seem to someone like me, never convinced me to give it a try... ;):D

Lol...I feel ya Phil...Several years ago my brother and I were sitting around in his garage,,Alcohol MAY have been involved.. And we decided we needed to start a club...The BBOA...Bald Brothers of America! We never followed through..But on the chance we do, Can we count you in? smiley-happy

• Members

Web page hosts hate ad blockers on principle, but I find them indispensible to doing anything on the web.

Actually, when in electronic media history (including radio and TV) has the relationship between advertising and sales ever been established? I argue "almost never" except perhaps in the case of Ronco commercials ('Pocket Fisherman' and the like).

I agree. I use CHROME and Adblock. I've never noticed this problem.

• Members
Has anyone else noticed websites that have pop-up boxes that show up when your mouse pointer scrolls towards the top of the page - you know, when you're getting ready to navigate away from that page? I've been noticing this showing up on more and more websites lately. Here's just one example:

http://www.mixonline.com/news/classi...zombies/424710[...]

Of course, we never step into same web twice, but as that page is displaying for me, the big top of page popup is actually preview sections for the various menu options. Since one of the wider, just right of center menu options is subscriptions, that tends to pop up prominently, but the other section previews of editorial content display, too. That said, I think when I first went there I got a different, smaller pop-up for a subscription box, but it only displayed the once, even after reloads.

That said, I totally agree that many advertisers or presenters are shooting their efforts in the foot by making the ads too intrusive, or auto-play with sound (which I almost always exit the page immediately as 'punishment' since I absolutely despise anyone who interrupts my music listening or quiet as the case may be -- although I make an exception for video sites, for semi-obvious reasons -- but when I got to a NEWSPAPER and it immediately makes noise -- or worse, waits in 'stealth' mode where it starts up after you've been on the page for a minute and are halfway through a print article [or is it just painfully slow load mode? -- another frequent web problem these days with all these incredibly bloated pages -- especially on my 'once-fast' tablet [it's not the tablet, it's HTML5's bloated code logorrhea -- when I got the tablet, most sites were still set up for fast-loading 'conventional' web code].)

And, yeah, the worst, of course, are sites/advertisers that keep playing the same video ad over and over on every new page. It is counter-productive, no matter what the old 1950's Mad Ave saw about repetition has to say.

• Members
You wind up spending nearly as much time watching ads as content. Frankly, I either turn the sound down during the ad, skip it after a few seconds (if the site allows that) or just click the X and forget about watching the content at all - sorry, but your content isn't so compelling that I'm willing to sit through the same video ad for the umpteenth time just to watch it for sixty seconds.

Yes exactly! I will mute the ads on youtube and I've perfected a way to keep track of the ad out of the corner of my eye and deliberately defiantly not watching it enough to know what it's about, and then unmute and watch the music video right on time. Yeah ok... I will die a rebel!

In a perfect world the AMA would come out with a study and guidelines, and the government with laws that regulate how many times the same commercial can even exist. I don't need a study to know seeing the same ad over and over is bad for us, physically and mentally.

And then there's the issue of ads appropriate to the feel of the music video you've selected. You are in a peaceful easy feeling kind of mood, so you go to listen to that Eagles song only to have your mood totally f--ked by that screaming Nissan commercial! The industry is so far behind or off base (however you want to see it) in meeting the needs of music lovers and understanding the purpose of why humans are even drawn to and want to make music... the health and spiritual aspects. We arguably had it better when we were spinning vinyl alone in our rooms or even commercial radio... maybe even... Gasp... AM radio!

And as for the pop-up ads on websites... same problem. And it feels creepy like they're trying to outsmart, outrun or somehow stalk us. It's crossed my mind that convicted sex offenders are enlisted to come up with ways to keep up with our trying to stay ahead of the ways these pop-ups and slide-in ads are coming at us. Anyway, I've backed out of so many news sites after clicking on a news item because of the ads I don't see the stories. Not worth the trouble.

• Members

Thanks. I have been trying it out for the last hour or two. It seems to work simply, which I like, and of course, you can easily disable it for particular web pages or domains.

Is there much of a difference between Adblock and AdBlock Pro? I'm using this on Chrome.

• Members

Thanks Phil. Great article about The Zombies as an example of ad interception. Colin and Rod are great lads. They are acquaintances of mine. They know me as the Grammy guy. I nominated them in three categories of the Grammys about 10 years ago. However they never made it past first ballot. Too bad. As far as I can see.... was a great album worthy of at least one Grammy.

• Members

Youtube is responsible for a fair amount of lost sales from me, including a car when I was in the market, due to their relentless ads. Some of them remind me of old TV commercials that have the audio so compressed that it's louder than anything else on their site. There are two things that drive me bat poop crazy; pages that freeze until an ad is loaded especially during high traffic times when the ads server might be really busy. Suddenly what ever I was going to look at becomes a lot less important. Ad blocker seems to have solved this problem mostly, but I was really reluctant to use it as I know that's what pays for a lot of this stuff. The other thing I hate is when you've expressed an interest in a product, then actually gone out and purchased said item, yet google ads continues to bombard you with advertising for that product. What am I supposed to do buy another? They should have a box you can tick that says "I've already purchased this" or something.

• Members

I'm constantly checking out the web for product specs and prices, and then get bombarded with ads trying to convince me to buy those products and anything even remotely related. These companies drill down really deep into my browsing, but aren't very bright...I was considering relocating to Ghana a while ago, and checked out ghanaweb.com. Within hours, I was getting ads to met African-American singles in Tennessee, hair straighteners, etc. etc. Would have been a lot smarter if they'd served up ads for non-stop flights, they might have gotten me :)

The other thing I hate is when you've expressed an interest in a product' date=' then actually gone out and purchased said item, yet google ads continues to bombard you with advertising for that product. What am I supposed to do buy another? [/quote']

Yup - it's really annoying. And you don't have to actually buy it... even researching something you're thinking about getting will lead to an endless stream of ads for it, even if you decided to buy something else instead.

They should have a box you can tick that says "I've already purchased this" or something.

That's a really good idea and it makes all kinds of sense - which is probably why we'll never see it happen. :lol:;)

I'm constantly checking out the web for product specs and prices' date=' and then get bombarded with ads trying to convince me to buy those products and anything even remotely related. These companies drill down really deep into my browsing, but aren't very bright...[/quote']

Yup. I'm in the same boat. Not on the "aren't very bright part", but on the "constantly researching" part. :o:D

• Members

I don't mind the ads, as long as they are not intrusive.

Put them in the border, on top or the bottom of the page, but no pop ups, nothing I have to close,

And either ad or page content - don't start talking or playing music when the page loads, or I can't get to that X fast enough.

I might have a Prokofiev CD playing while I'm surfing, and the last thing I want is for you to be rude to the music.

Notes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Now they won't let you view the site until you unblock AdBlock. Sucks I tell ya.

The Russian browser "Yandex" is the way to go these days.

• Members

Thanks. I have been trying it out for the last hour or two. It seems to work simply, which I like, and of course, you can easily disable it for particular web pages or domains.

Is there much of a difference between Adblock and AdBlock Pro? I'm using this on Chrome.

Ad Block pro is better and has better reviews.

Archived