Gig in 2 days, really need help! (iPod to mixer problems)

• Members

Hey guys, I am extremely frustrated. Here's what I am trying to do: I have a live gig and I want to play tracks from my iPod while singing along to them.

I have a brand new Mackie Mix12FX mixer, 2 Mackie SRM450 active speakers, a dynamic mic, and an iPod.

I have the iPod hooked to one of the mixer channels using a TRS 3.5mm to 1/4 inch stereo conversion cable. It is plugged into the line in jack for channel 1. The speakers are hooked up properly.

I get bad static and sluggishness when I play the iPod, and it seems to be louder out of one side. I have all the necessary hookups that I can fathom.. The speakers are active, so I shouldn't need an external amp. What am I missing?? Please help.. my gig is in 2 days!

• CMS Author

I have the iPod hooked to one of the mixer channels using a TRS 3.5mm to 1/4 inch stereo conversion cable. It is plugged into the line in jack for channel 1. The speakers are hooked up properly.

You have the wrong kind of cable. What you need is a cable with a 3.5 mm "stereo" plug on one end and two 1/4" or RCA plugs (or RCA plugs with RCA-1/4" adapters, which may be easier to find on short notice) on the other. Connect those two plugs to either the two inputs of a stereo channel or the Tape In jacks on your mixer and you'll be fine.

What you want is to have the left channel from the iPod going to one of those two plugs and the right channel going to the other.

CMP159-large.jpg

Hosa CMP-159

This one is 10 feet long. If you want a shorter one, the CMP-153 is 3 feet long.

The mic and line inputs on your mixer are differential (usually called "balanced"). What you're doing is connecting one channel of the iPod's output to the positive input of the mixer channel and the other channel on the channel's negative input. This results in the channel "hearing" the left minus the right channel, which, for most pop music, isn't much.

There are a few articles on my web site about making connections that you might find helpful.

• Members

You may need to turn the volume down on the IPod as well. If you have it set to drive headphones the signal may be overdriving the mixer channels and is overloading the preamp.

Try setting the IPod volume to zero, set the mixer channels to the same volume you set the vocal mic, then turn the IPod's volume up to match the vocal mic.

Archived