CHROME is still not allowing posting to this forum......but works nicely on FaceBook

• Members
So why would that be? Is it possible that Chrome is driving traffic to FB ???

Dan

I seriously think not -- or rather no more than they drive traffic other places.

Little love lost between the two giant companies. FB and Google are keen competitors. (And G is hardly happy about the way FB crushed Google's attempt at social media, Google+.)

And, BTW, I haven't had ongoing problems posting here using Chrome on either W7 or XP, although, to be sure, sometimes things have gone hink. And I haven't explored every facet of the place, but for me, posting is working.

(Now, there are site features that DON'T seem to work for me but that don't have anything to do with Chrome, like email notifications for PMs. I simply do not get them, although all my settings say I should. It's been reported.)

• Members

I don't do Chrome. Why? Google makes it's money by selling everything it knows about you to anybody who asks. That includes selling every site you visit to every advertising company that pays the fee (including spammers).

I don't use Google for a search engine either.

I bought some active musician's ear plugs from etymotic and they use hearing aid batteries. I searched for low cost hearing aid batteries on my phone using google and for months I got ads for hearing aids, loud telephone products, loud alarm clocks and tons of other stuff for hard of hearing people.

Now I use either ixquick, duckduckgo, or startpage because they don't track you or sell your info to spammers.

I don't use Chrome as a browser either for the same reason. Every site you visit goes into your dossier. If you are curious about some terrorist action and want to learn more, you will get on the CIA list for sure.

I know I don't have privacy, but on the other hand, if they are going to sell my info, I want at least 20% agents fee or I'm going to limit what they can sell ;)

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members
I don't do Chrome. Why? Google makes it's money by selling everything it knows about you to anybody who asks. That includes selling every site you visit to every advertising company that pays the fee (including spammers).

I don't use Google for a search engine either.

I bought some active musician's ear plugs from etymotic and they use hearing aid batteries. I searched for low cost hearing aid batteries on my phone using google and for months I got ads for hearing aids, loud telephone products, loud alarm clocks and tons of other stuff for hard of hearing people.

Now I use either ixquick, duckduckgo, or startpage because they don't track you or sell your info to spammers.

I don't use Chrome as a browser either for the same reason. Every site you visit goes into your dossier. If you are curious about some terrorist action and want to learn more, you will get on the CIA list for sure.

I know I don't have privacy, but on the other hand, if they are going to sell my info, I want at least 20% agents fee or I'm going to limit what they can sell wink.png

They definitely use a variety of technologies to deliver targeted advertising to individual users. But they don't, according to their published agreements, provide personal identification to those advertisers, setting themselves up to be 'honest brokers' of that anonymized, targeted delivery. They also provide a number of options and solutions to allow users who so choose to anonymize themselves to various degrees -- right on up to fully anonymous. (Although, of course, ISP server logs may be subject to presumably legitimate law enforcement requests, particularly under court order/subpoena/etc. Google, as other search engines and services are, is also subject to court ordered and other legally mandated disclosures.)

Google drive me nuts a lot of the time, but there's also a lot of (apparent) nonsense kicking around among conspiracy enthusiasts and the naive.

Here are Google's pertinent privacy commitments in writing...

http://www.google.com/policies/technologies/ads/

• Members
They definitely use a variety of technologies to deliver targeted advertising to individual users. But they don't' date=' according to their published agreements, provide personal identification to those advertisers, setting themselves up to be 'honest brokers' of that anonymized, targeted delivery. <...>[/quote']

Oh, and you believe everything a corporation says about itself.

Well, I don't believe that.They targeted me as being deaf, including in my google mailbox (which I never use except to open my android phone account). The targeted ads are one thing, but the targeted spam in my google mail account which I never sent a single e-mail out of is despicable.

So I started searching for guitar, saxophone, and other music items, and in a matter of months the deaf ads withered away and were replaced by something more entertaining.

But I'm afraid the dam has been broken. I never got any mail in my google account before, now I have to go there every few weeks to clear out the spam.

So if you want to believe google, go right ahead. I'm not buying it.

• Members

Oh, and you believe everything a corporation says about itself.

Well, I don't believe that.They targeted me as being deaf, including in my google mailbox (which I never use except to open my android phone account). The targeted ads are one thing, but the targeted spam in my google mail account which I never sent a single e-mail out of is despicable.

So I started searching for guitar, saxophone, and other music items, and in a matter of months the deaf ads withered away and were replaced by something more entertaining.

But I'm afraid the dam has been broken. I never got any mail in my google account before, now I have to go there every few weeks to clear out the spam.

So if you want to believe google, go right ahead. I'm not buying it.

Well, terms of service are a form of contract. There are often both legal/financial as well as public relations consequences for getting caught violating them. When you're in marketing battle for hearts and minds, it pays to not get caught lying or cheating.

With regard to the targeted ads, again, the targeting mechanisms are designed to separate marketing profile from actual identity. Are there abuses? Likely enough -- where there are humans involved, errors and abuses will occur. But there are a number of opt-out options. For instance, I find much of the cooperative interoperability of websites and services helpful -- but on my own terms. I have 3rd party cookies blocked by default in Chrome. That means that I have to give permission to any entity that wants/needs to track me across platforms. So, for instance, Disqus gets an exemption because I have an account with them and use them for commenting on sites that use that system. Doubleclick, one of Google's online advertising sales arms, on the other hand, does not. I still see ads served up from Doubleclick -- but they can't track me across sites.

If one is really concerned, as noted, one can simply ONLY use Chrome's 'Incognito Mode' -- or similar features in other browsers -- and avoid leaving any cookie trail whatsoever. While your cookies and browsing history for a site visited 'incognito' are deleted as soon as you leave the site, if you log into any membership sites, they will have a record of your visit there (duh!), search engines will retain recent search history by IP address to facilitate search accuracy and present the context ads that are their primary revenue stream, and, of course, by the very nature of how the Internet must work, your ISP will have a record of your page requests, because there's no other way it could work.

• Members

Here's DuckDuckGo -- the 'no-track' search engine referred to as DDG above...

https://duckduckgo.com/

Now, even there, of course, ads are served up based on search terms but there's no tracking from session to session, AIUI.

https://duckduckgo.com/about

Fast Company article on them from last year...

http://www.fastcompany.com/3026698/i...est-competitor

Fast Company: When you do a search from DuckDuckGo's website or one of its mobile apps, it doesn't know who you are. There are no user accounts. Your IP address isn't logged by default. The site doesn't use search cookies to keep track of what you do over time or where else you go online. It doesn't save your search history. When you click on a link in DuckDuckGo's results, those websites won't see which search terms you used.

PS... I like this. I just tossed a link onto my desktop and may even try making it my default search engine. Maybe I like it because when I searched on my own name it gave up with a good list of links. But it seems to do pretty well on others, as well. thu.gif

• Members

Write Something or Drag and Drop Images here... That box nor that text doesn't exist with Chrome on my systems nor does a curser in that box. I even tried manipulating the Chrome user agent and even spoofed my address with Hola to get a US IP (in case that was the issue) I'm writing this now with the Ubuntu Browser...just a test. I'm still trying to figure this out. Dan

Archived