Google Chrome -- Now supports MIDI!!!

• Members

Might be handy on some lightweight devices that don't have allot of memory and the browser can provide dual functions. Its not something I'd use on my studio daw. In fact I shut down all the web connections, unplug the internet and remove all bloat ware on my studio daw. I don't even install antivirus, updates when its running properly. The only access to the drive is through a flash drive and I make sure those aren't used for anything but transferring music files.

• Members

Well, that's interesting. Latency's not even too bad. Wouldn't want to try to play a funky hard clavinet part on it. ;) Obviously, it keeps the MIDI signal local. Chrome is, of course, a mini-OS, anyhow, so it should handle fairly large v-synths loaded in its supposedly separate mem-spaced windows well. That said, I did notice that the little Web Audio MIDI demo synth distorted any time you played more than a single note. (At least on my rig. Now, in addition to websites that look and behave different on every single machine, we're gonna have synth/MIDI environments that... =Agh!= :D My brain hurts.)

I had to update my supposedly auto-updating Chrome to get it but, opening up a new session of Chrome with my MIDI controller already turned on, it found it right away and defaulted to it. That's in a pull down menu so the presumption is it would show all active controllers.

• Members

Well , you can call me cynical but I don't plan on playing any of my original compositions on it. In fact, now that I know about this I will remove Chrome from my production computer....because CHROME IS ALWAYS RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND.

DAN

• Moderators
Well , you can call me cynical but I don't plan on playing any of my original compositions on it. In fact, now that I know about this I will remove Chrome from my production computer....because CHROME IS ALWAYS RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND.

DAN

Just tell Chrome NOT to run in the background.

Terry D.

• Moderators

I've had more problems with Silverlight than I am willing to accept, so I just refuse to use it anymore.

Unfortunately, the county I live in (and build trails in) uses Silverlight exclusively for their property line, GPS, and satellite maps. frown.gif

Similarly unfortunately, my cloud cam security system needs Java to access remotely. :idk:

Terry D.

• Members

Silverlight - funny, I barely know what it is. I only saw it on my wife's new Surface Pro because a Microsoft tutorial on changing passwords needed it. I downloaded it, and then the Silverlight site did not take me back to the place I had left, so I never used it. I am not even sure what it is - some kind of video format?

Archived