This is what boredom does to you

Mark L

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What my new forum really needs is a guest appearance by a known-quantity in the music industry who also happens to work for a rather large guitar company

Mmmm, I wonder where I can get hold of such a person...

• Members
I couldn't find your benefits plan.

The main benefit is that it's ad-free ;)

By the way, I completely realise that this is a spam thread and that it could quite legitimately be deleted at any moment

• Members
What my new forum really needs is a guest appearance by a known-quantity in the music industry who also happens to work for a rather large guitar company

Mmmm, I wonder where I can get hold of such a person...

Sorry, I don't know anyone at Rickenbacker...but I have a hard enough time checking in here! I still need to finish my Ibiza report. I have a ton of fun pictures and some videos, too.

• Members

Sorry, I don't know anyone at Rickenbacker...but I have a hard enough time checking in here! I still need to finish my Ibiza report. I have a ton of fun pictures and some videos, too.

Aaaw, go on Craig. Be a devil. It'll be a coup for my little forum if you make an appearance ;)

I'll tell you what, it's certainly opened my eyes. I have a very small idea now what it means to be the administrator of a forum. A very small idea. I don't know how you, Phil and the rest cope! :D

I feel quite responsible for the well-being of the folks who signed up. They're like my children :0

• Members
I`ll just add… Marks forum works. Simple to post' date=' simple to add links, photos, etc… what a concept.[/quote']

Not to mention a distiguished and erudite group of people who post there who possess an enormous wealth of musical acumen. :--))

• Members

Craig,

I hope you join Marks forum and get the chance to post and add photos, links, etc…. I think you`ll discover the forum works quite well. Honestly, I`m a little ticked off that I didn`t think of the idea before Mark, especially during those miserable years this site should have been blown up.

EB

• Members
Craig,

I hope you join Marks forum and get the chance to post and add photos, links, etc…. I think you`ll discover the forum works quite well. Honestly, I`m a little ticked off that I didn`t think of the idea before Mark, especially during those miserable years this site should have been blown up.

EB

I have no doubt the forum works well, most forums do when they don't have to deal with terabytes of data encompassing over 20 million posts :)

But you didn't answer my question about whether you had difficulties posting pictures or links here. If you could be more specific about what you you find difficult, I can either a) help you figure it out or b) see where the difficulties lie so improvements can be made.

We have made a list of immediate fixes but it hasn't been submitted yet, so if there's an actual problem posting pictures or links, it's not too late to fold that in to the request although we have only a couple days to do so. I've tested both and had no problems. I find the cropping feature exceptionally useful. And now I don't have to link to imgur.com any more, either. That was getting old.

• Members

People often ask why we stick with VBulletin. It's one of only a couple software packages that can handle the data HC generates. Part of the problem with Jive software is they didn't take into account that the forum had more traffic than Apple's forums (which they also handled). They didn't think it was possible, so they didn't plan accordingly. At least now we have really good servers with adequate capacity to handle growth, and a RAM upgrade is in place that will be switched on soon...that should speed things up.

We did have some good news last week. Dendy was all freaked out because the ad server was no longer working. Or so it seemed...then he found out that traffic has risen back to the point where all the impressions the ads were supposed to serve had been served well ahead of schedule. This is a good thing. Traffic ranking has gone up, too. So at least things are going in the right direction.

• Members
People often ask why we stick with VBulletin. It's one of only a couple software packages that can handle the data HC generates. Part of the problem with Jive software is they didn't take into account that the forum had more traffic than Apple's forums (which they also handled). They didn't think it was possible, so they didn't plan accordingly. At least now we have really good servers with adequate capacity to handle growth, and a RAM upgrade is in place that will be switched on soon...that should speed things up.

We did have some good news last week. Dendy was all freaked out because the ad server was no longer working. Or so it seemed...then he found out that traffic has risen back to the point where all the impressions the ads were supposed to serve had been served well ahead of schedule. This is a good thing. Traffic ranking has gone up, too. So at least things are going in the right direction.

Good to hear.

Traffic going up ? Really ? Care to post some figures ?

IIf things are going in the right direction, then it sure is not having an impact on the boards

According to Alexa (not the best source), HC gets about 4400 visitors every day, with little more than 900 page views every day

55% of traffic coming from USA & Canada, 14% from India, UK about 5%, ROW about 25%,

visitors spend less than 2 minutes on the site on average and seem not to go beyond the landing page

Daily bandwidth of 750 MB,

HC is faster than 24% of sites

HC has a low SEO score of 42%

and is ranked #60571 in the world

According to Compete.com, TGP gets a lot more traffic than HC, and TGP is just a bulletin board, not a music portal

At least it does show things are moving in the right direction

I'm sceptical that HC is back on track, time will tell, we'll see in about a year from now.

compete_zps5hen2fqq.jpg

• Members
But you didn't answer my question about whether you had difficulties posting pictures or links here. If you could be more specific about what you you find difficult, I can either a) help you figure it out or b) see where the difficulties lie so improvements can be made.

We have made a list of immediate fixes but it hasn't been submitted yet, so if there's an actual problem posting pictures or links, it's not too late to fold that in to the request although we have only a couple days to do so. I've tested both and had no problems. I find the cropping feature exceptionally useful. And now I don't have to link to imgur.com any more, either. That was getting old.

Hopefully this works…

fetch?id=31500477

I`m glad to hear Gibson is taking over this forum. Honestly, I hope this forum rocks again like it used to. Its getting better but I`m still not seeing the traffic that I would like. For example, over at GS, that place is so busy… its nice to visit a forum everyday and see that level of traffic. I`m hoping HC will have a resurgence. As for Marks forum, who knows how it`ll take off or not. Most likely, a very few will join because lets face it, he`s a one man operating machine.

• Members
As for Marks forum' date=' who knows how it`ll take off or not. Most likely, a very few will join because lets face it, he`s a one man operating machine. [/quote']

I think that once the novelty has worn off, people will slowly begin to fall away, and all that will be left will be me :(

• Members

Good to hear.

Traffic going up ? Really ? Care to post some figures ?

Well, the chart you posted shows traffic has gone up by almost 400% since the low point on 5/14. But also, serving all impressions required for ads a week early tells you right there that traffic is up.

I have no illusions about how long it will take to build the traffic back to where it once was. It took many years to screw up Harmony Central and it's not possible to reverse that degree of damage overnight.

The plans are for a slow and steady improvement. You'll notice we're not doing any "Come check out THE NEW HC!!" kind of promotions. We want to nail down the performance first.

I've built up two web sites from scratch to millions of views, so it can be done. HC is basically starting over from scratch, but with two major differences: We have a great editorial team, and a parent company that sees this as something long-term and worthwhile.

• Members

According to Alexa (not the best source)...is ranked #60571 in the world

I guess it's not the best source, because right now it's showing 41,00 in the world, which statistically speaking is a pretty huge variance compared to 60,571 (it's also showing15,800 in the US). Did it really change that much in the past 5 hours? I would think they'd take an average over time.

• Members

All valid points, Mr. Anderton, and well taken,

However, two people who post on SSS a regular basis, have asked/invited you to drop in on Marky's site to say 'Hello' and that hasn't been acknowledged nor addressed by you.

I think it would be a nice thing to do.

a professional courtesy, if you will...

You covered Mark's tunes as a tribute, why not stop in at Mark's Place to say 'Hello?'

Archived