USB 3.1

• Members

The PC section has gone into hibernation and rather than hopping the Video card thread, I thought I'd ask separately.

First, anybody tried it? Any buzz?

Second:

I'm using Win 7 HP on a Gateway i3 board. I don't know the actual mfger but that's prolly not important. And the obvious question; will this arrangement accommodate USB 3.1?

• Members

USB 3 seems even more squirrely than USB 2 or FireWire. RME has a 3.0 MADI interface and the documentation is daunting about which motherboards/chip sets will and will not work with it. I don't see this as an RME problem. They pushing the spec hard, and it seems some hardware simply can't keep up and some can.

• CMS Author
USB 3 seems even more squirrely than USB 2 or FireWire. RME has a 3.0 MADI interface and the documentation is daunting about which motherboards/chip sets will and will not work with it.

Remember USB 1.1 with PCs and audio devices? And Firewire? I remember when shopping for a new computer opening the Windows Device Manager and seeing what brand of USB or Firewire (if there was one) chip was installed. I remembered the bad ones, but if it wasn't identified, I looked at a different computer. 20 years later and you STILL don't want to have a Ricoh Firewire or Firewire/USB ship in your PC if you expect to get an audio interface to work.

It's probably safe to buy a USB 3 interface now since they're nearly all backward compatible with USB 2 unless you have so many channels that you need the higher speed (that'd be about 100 at 96 kHz sample rate). I'd hold off on buying a new computer or motherboard with a USB 3 (only) setup until more audio manufactuers try their stuff out with more computers to see what doesn't work.

They'll tell you "We can't try it with every computer" which usually means they try it with the computers that they have in the lab and then ask for volunteers to try it on their home computers.

Here's a good on-line webinar about USB-C and its integration with USB 3.1, what plugs into what and what doesn't. It's free, but you need to register to watch these Herman AV Pro webinars, even the archived versions (which this link gets you to). No big deal. You'll probably get e-mail announcements about upcoming webinars. .

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/rec...75690353378050

• Members

K, wait. I have USB 3 built in. The only use I have for it right now is for an external drive. My current outboard is a Seagate usb2 and at 300 gig, full. I read that usb 3.1 is twice as fast as 3.0 and I can wait for a 3.1 drive if it's worth the bother and my board will run it. Failing that I'll just get a 3.0 drive. Still curious though. Do you guys need hyper throughput in your studios? Seems like a port that fast could make your machine very vulnerable too among other things.

Archived