When was the last time you used an amp sim on a tablet or iPhone?

Anderton

• Members

I mean they're cool and all that, but the last time I ran a guitar through an iPhone was over a year ago, when I had a borrowed SG and was bored in a hotel room. I must admit it was major fun, but if I have a guitar with me, odds I'm either in the studio or the guitar is in a place - like the carryon bin in a plane - where I'm not going to be able to sit down and play.

• Members

I use Positive Grid's Bias - which I really like - on an iPad from time to time. Sometimes I just use it as the 'guitar amp' and record on a computer and sometimes I record on the iPad using Auria.

There are advantages to the touch screen interface on the iPad but sometimes I get frustrated by it and go back to the computer.

• Members

I used Amplitube on my ipad just last friday night at a gig and I'll be using it again tonight when the band plays at Scooters in Anamosa. Additionally I use the IK Multimedia Blueboard to switch an "overdrive pedal" on/off. This works great for me because I'm primarily doing keyboards in this band and with a 3 tier stack and other associated rack gear I don't need to be hauling anymore than I do, especially since I only play guitar on 3 or 4 songs and an AC/DC medley in the last set. It's also helped by the fact that we have a sound company on hire for every gig and use in-ear monitors.

Now I'll include my shameless plug: like us on facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/crazydeliciousband

• Members
I used Amplitube on my ipad just last friday night at a gig and I'll be using it again tonight when the band plays at Scooters in Anamosa. Additionally I use the IK Multimedia Blueboard to switch an "overdrive pedal" on/off.

Very cool. How do you set it up physically? Attached to a mic stand?

• Members

Very cool. How do you set it up physically? Attached to a mic stand?

I had been putting the iPad on the top right side of my largest keyboard (Korg TR88 on my bottom tier). It's in a cover of course but it still tends to slide down onto the keys so at the last gig I traded places with a little AKAI LPK25 that I use to play/stop/rewind and load chunks in DP8 and now the iPad lays just in front of the MBP on top of my upper 8 space rack that is just to my right. I use a headset for vocals so a mic stand is not part of my haul. In my top rack case there is a MOTU MTP AV usb that sends program/patch changes from DP8 to my keyboards and Roland Fantom XR. Also in the rack is a MOTU 828mk3 that keyboards are sub-mixed into and also going in is the little Line 6 Sonic Port that I plug the guitar into, it just kinda dangles out the front of my rack case. The IK Blueboard thing is pretty cool; it's small and, without the need for any wires, it's pretty handy to put anywhere on the floor. I bought that last year at Gearfest!

• Members

I'll also add that it's a lot easier for me to just plug my guitar into the MOTU 828mk3 that's already in my rack and use Amplitube as a plug-in within DP8 which the MBP can handle with ease and I was doing that. The Blueboard unit is what makes the difference. When we started doing the AC/DC medley our main guitarist thought I needed to boost during the solos I take.

There are better solutions no doubt but I'm trying to just use stuff I already have and let's face it.....I love playing with these tech toys!

• Members

The IK Blueboard thing is pretty cool; it's small and, without the need for any wires, it's pretty handy to put anywhere on the floor. I bought that last year at Gearfest!

Thanks for the extra info, very interesting. Are you going to GearFest again this year? I'll be there.

• Members

Thanks for the extra info, very interesting. Are you going to GearFest again this year? I'll be there.

Turns out the band already has that weekend booked. It's a real bummer 'cause I couldn't get any other Hog riders to go with me last year and now I have a couple that wanted to go this time! It's a great ride from here in Cedar Rapids except for the having to go through Chicago thing. If I can nail down when it's going to be in 2016 I'll try to make certain that weekend doesn't get booked again.

• Members

I have a "travel guitar" which fits in a large suitcase or in a plane's overhead bin. I also have an iPod with iPig loaded on it and Slash's Amplitube. Amplitube allows you to play along with any song you have on your iPod and get the Marshall sound. It's a cool little deal, since iRig allows you to plug in the guitar and earbuds to hear yourself in stereo. Here are some details & pics: https://reverb.com/item/658517-travel-electric-guitar-with-ipod-and-amplitube-2014-black

• Members

I never use amp sims when playing. I'm a hardware guy all the way live or tracking. I use them occasionally mixing but they don't come close to the real deal for me. I've tried using them on a computer recording but the latency was just too annoying to bother. I'm not into cell phones or tablets much either. I put Garage Band and Propellerhead on my on my IPhone and other then make sure they work I've never used them.

You'd think with 45 years as an electronic tech I'd have some interest in making them useful, but to me they are toy programs on toy devices.

• Members

Can't do much about the latency thing, but if you check out the first three tunes in my YouTube channel, they all use the sims I designed for SONAR Platinum. And the reason I designed them was because I just couldn't get quite the sound I wanted out of what was available commercially. Lately I've been using the Boz "Bark of Dog" to add a low end boost that really makes it sound like the amp is "moving air." It's not a conventional bass boost, it's a resonant highpass filter.

This isn't to invalidate hardware amps; I love my DT25 when I want an "amp" sound. But a lot of times, I want an "idealized" amp sound, and only sims can do that.

Archived