the man who broke the music business

• Members

BTW, the business isn't dead, not even close, it's just resting and recycling the realities brought about by technological advance, as soon as everyone comes up to speed with the state of the art in music tech, music will be back in a big way and stronger than ever. Not because of technology, but in spite of it. There are more accomplished musicians than ever, and most haven't caught up to the technical requirements of recording and self production/promotion/distribution just yet, but when they do, the scene will blow up with new styles, stars and sights.

New tech and fidelity is changing the networking scene as well.

• Members

This is an age old argument. When I was a kid, I got a new compact stereo. (keep in mind this was in the late 70s). It had a record player on it and a cassette player/recorder. It allowed you to copy records on to cassette tapes. Even was promoted as a feature of the unit. Why? So we could play the album in the car.

We all started making tapes of friends albums and trading tapes and NO ONE (not even furthest reaches of our minds) thought that we were stealing. Companies were even touting the ease and convenience of doing this. But along comes computers and the internet, and suddenly everyone is a music thief.

That said — I am now in Nashville and play with several artists from time to time. I understand the music biz and how artists make money and get paid.

If I am being honest, labels and producers are more guilty of being thief than any consumers. For years artists have not been being paid for their work while fat cat labels were raking in the money.

And finally, I blame some of this on the music industry itself. Music could have been coded with origin codes so that if it was recorded, the music would play back in a highly non-quality way. But no one could have seen the way trends have moved.

And still this industry while not broken, is still searching for its legs. If you live in my town of Nashville and drive down what was once a robust music row, there are more For Lease signs than there are labels.

Yield soapbox.

D

• Members
And finally, I blame some of this on the music industry itself. Music could have been coded with origin codes so that if it was recorded, the music would play back in a highly non-quality way.
You mean like the "copy protection" on DVD's? Do any of youse guys really find that hard to get around? LOL

Archived