Question About Licensing Cost

• Members

If you overwrite a song with new words or, heck, are just replacing one word, is the licensing fee going to be the same as if you were using the song in its original form?

I'm currently in the middle of a commercial pitch and my idea is just to replace one word, because that's all that's needed. However, I've also had some ideas where the lyrics get mostly or completely replaced and I just need to know the pricing scale for differing versions/alterations.

Thanks!

• Members

FWIW, I've done cover versions of songs and changed words so I would be more comfortable singing the lyrics. It's still someone else's song. As a matter of courtesy, I do let the songwriter know that I made changes.

I'm not sure what the situation would be if you come up with entirely new words but kept the music the same, particularly if it was a collaboration between a lyricist and musician. But if you do an instrumental version of a song, you still need to pay licensing so I doubt the situation would be any different.

• Members

Oh yeah, licensing is definitely a part of this and my potential client wouldn't want to be involved in any rip-offs of intellectual property.

Another question. Are some songs more valued than others, just because of their popularity or chart position, and therefore get charged more?

Example: When Bill Gates famously used START ME UP in the commercial for Windows 95, did he still get charged a premium for a 14 year old ( but still timeless) song? Did the record company charge him more for who he was, or did he get treated like any other client?

Archived