Gibson Brands Acquires Harmony Central!

Anderton

• Members

Here's the official press release. And every word is true...

Gibson Brands Acquires HarmonyCentral.com

Emphasis on site neutrality and extensive community involvement will continue

NASHVILLE, TN-April 9, 2015-

Gibson Brands, the fastest-growing company in music and sound, has acquired HarmonyCentral.com, the premier web site for all types and levels of musicians. According to Gibson CEO and Chairman Henry Juszkiewicz, “The industry needs a neutral, entertaining, informative site where musicians can exchange opinions and knowledge, ask questions, get answers, be controversial, and have a great experience. Harmony Central will not be a ‘Gibson site’; we already have that. Think of it as Gibson providing a place to throw a party, and everyone—musicians, the industry, competitors, educators, anyone involved in music and sound—is invited and welcome.”

Harmony Central has operated continuously since 1995. In 2005 it was purchased by Musician’s Friend, Inc. A spokesperson for Musician’s Friend stated “Harmony Central has been a great partner for us, but with the renewed focus on our core business, we felt Harmony Central needed a home that was a better fit. Gibson’s desire to grow the industry and spread the joy and excitement of making music means that Harmony Central will be in great hands, and even better, remain true to its mission.”

The current editorial team of Dendy Jarrett, Phil O’Keefe, and Chris Loeffler will remain onboard and Gibson’s Craig Anderton, who was at HC’s helm during its period of greatest success, will serve as Editorial Director. According to Anderton, “This is a dream come true for all of us who love Harmony Central. We have a lot of work ahead of us, and it will take time for Harmony Central to reach its full potential. But having seen the environment Gibson has provided for recent acquisitions like TASCAM, Cakewalk, Neat Microphones, and Philips, we have no doubt Harmony Central will enjoy the same kind of rejuvenation. With Gibson’s support, Harmony Central will be able to create new ways to both inform and entertain. Stay tuned.”

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Some insider baseball for you: When Henry first hired me at Gibson, it was to get me involved in creating a neutral, public-facing, multi-lingual web site for musicians. He said "Here's your chance to do Harmony Central right." Well, I ended up following a different path for two years, but here I am, doing what Henry had wanted me to do originally.

He totally gets the online thing. His quote isn't for PR purposes, it's what he believes a site needs to be.

After seeing what he's done with Cakewalk and Neat, I'm going for the hat trick :) I am tremendously excited about this!!!!

• Members

The current editorial team of Dendy Jarrett, Phil O’Keefe, and Chris Loeffler will remain onboard and Gibson’s Craig Anderton, who was at HC’s helm during its period of greatest success, will serve as Editorial Director.

^^^

I, for one, am thrilled about this if true. :philbeer:

• Members

Well, at least a few people get to keep their jobs. Bodes well for the future, I'm impressed GibSon stepped up the plate.

Another year or 2 and you might actually re-acquire some or all of the lost traffic/members/ad revenue...

Regardless, I think this looks like a solid win for anyone who calls themselves a musician.

• Members
^This. The site's still buggy as hell.

Like, what the **************** is up with my default pic?

Go to your profile - mouse over the pic - click Edit Avatar - select picture - 'drag the corner to set how you want your profile picture to appear'

Archived