Free Tracking Software from Waves!

• CMS Author

I would have liked that, too, but among its minimum requirements (on the Windows side - I don't know the equivalent Mac) is an i5 CPU. I have a question in to Waves Tech Support on this now. I expect that's to cover them for the advertised "unlimited" number of tracks.

I don't need more than 16 tracks, and I'm wondering if it will run at all on a Pentium or Core2Duo, or it will just complain "you don't have a powerful enough computer" and not install. I'd spend $100 for a junker laptop a step up from a Pentium, but not a $400+ computer.

I know it's free to try, but why bother if I know it won't work? I already have a Cymatic LR-16 that's smaller than a laptop computer and will record 16 tracks to a USB drive.

The Waves Track Live appears to be similar in concept to Capture that comes with every PreSonus recording-capable product.

• CMS Author

I just heard back from Waves. Basically what they said was "Try it and see." They didn't test it on anything other than a system that met their stated minimum requirements. In my case, though, it wouldn't even install. Anyway, it seems that your system is further advanced than mine.

Oh, well. It was a good idea. I'll save this "old" version in case I find a suitable computer to use it with for under $100. That's how much I pay for computers these days, and about what I think they're worth. ;)

I would imagine that a multitrack recording program with a stripped down feature set would not place much strain on the CPU; as long as the disk I/O can keep up, the OS is supported, and the CPU is up to keeping both of those things going, it will probably work. And since it's free, it should be relatively easy to try it... although if you're thinking of buying an old laptop to use with it, you're taking your chances since you won't know for certain until you try it with it.

• Members

By itself it doesn't add any wonky drivers to your PC so pretty safe to try. But because of that it is only ASIO/CoreAudio compatible.- a plus not a minus IMO :) . I was able to quickly get it to crash by making a new project with the same name as one I already created.

• CMS Author
I would imagine that a multitrack recording program with a stripped down feature set would not place much strain on the CPU; as long as the disk I/O can keep up' date=' the OS is supported, and the CPU is up to keeping both of those things going, it will probably work. [/quote']

That's what I thought, too. After all, I can run Reaper, Sonar, Studio One, MixBus, and Pro Tools on computers that I have. But Tracks-Live simply refuses to install, saying, in essence, "I don't even want to try to run on this computer." I had to install Windows 7 on a computer in order to make Pro Tools happy, but it's running on a 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 with 2 GB RAM.

I woudln't be surprised if Waves is using some code that they have already developed which requires instructions that aren't available on an older CPU. They didn't have to, but that's what their programmers do. I guess that most people who are using Waves plug-ins keep their computers up to date, so it's not a big deal to their regular customers. And I can understand their reluctance to go out of their way to make a product that runs on computers that their core products won't run on.

Archived