What exactly do you do for a living?

Mark L

• Members

Wr

02-18-2015, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by MarkydeSadView Post

I've often wondered

I'm at the bottom of the heap - I drive a car, delivering and collecting dental lab work

How 'bout you?

Why do you consider yourself at the bottom of the heap? The bottom of the heap would be hitmen, organ harvesters, pimps, politicians and lawyers. You're a songwriter, a musician....What you do for a living..At least in your case..Has absolutely nothing to do with who you are...and by the way..Wouldn't you have to collect something before you could deliver it?? Yes.The Syntax Police are real and they are watching all of us!!!

www.soundcloud.com/alamojoe

ite Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

• Moderators

Musician for 15 years out of high school til 30 something. Minor/mid scores of success Then got my degree at Columbia in Audio and Acoustics and have worked in marketing for the past 15 years as a Telephony Audio Engineer. I'm a Libra, like long walks in the park... and believe Birdman's evil voice was right when he said 60 is the new 30,.. "Let's burn these mf'er's!!!"

• Members

Play guitar for the most part. I also play piano, operate a project studio and teach music/production. The project studio thing is waning now that everybody can record their own stuff at home with only a minor investment.

I used to be a computer network engineer in a previous life and, with my background in electronics (along with the help of a tube amp guru) I repair guitar amplifiers and other electronic musical instruments in a small shop in my house.

• Members

Why do you consider yourself at the bottom of the heap? The bottom of the heap would be hitmen, organ harvesters, pimps, politicians and lawyers. You're a songwriter, a musician....What you do for a living..At least in your case..Has absolutely nothing to do with who you are...and by the way..Wouldn't you have to collect something before you could deliver it?? Yes.The Syntax Police are real and they are watching all of us!!!

:D

But you're exactly right!

• Members

I do research & development work at an aerospace company. In younger years I did everything: farmhand, FOH sound man, truck driver, shoveling black sand at a foundry, making industrial paint, steel fabricator, carpenter, sewing machine mechanic and lots of other stuff...

Oh, yeah, I forgot: I taught college for 10 years too, from about '81 to '91.

• Members
I'm at the bottom of the heap

I think we all feel this way at times. Sometimes I think, what would have happened if I had pursued my interest in sports?

The first time I heard music in Church, it called me. I know that sounds really strange but I knew at the age of 4 that I wanted to make music. I was the sort of kid who would rather practice on the piano than hang out with my friends. Even to this day, I rather spend the evening in the studio working on something than going out. The best of both worlds is to combine the two: record with my friends which I`m doing tomorrow.

Looking back, the best decisions in my life were made from the gut. I`ve learned to trust that feeling in my chest. Don`t get me wrong, sometimes those decisions made from the gut put me in some rough spots but they always worked out. Hard to explain…

I took a job 11 years ago that I thought was the best thing for me, 6 months after taking that job, I was released from my duties. I felt awful but during those 6 months, I made some connections with other musicians who hired me to do work for them. Now 11 years later, I am still working through that connection even though that person is long gone from there.

My point is Mark… follow your gut. Don`t be afraid to take chances even though they may not make any sense at the time. If your gut tells you to keep writing, then write. If you feel the urge to start a band, then do that. Even if that means you`re not facing the audience… whatever the case, trust your gut.

Its easy to be hard on ourselves and judge… I fall into the trap of comparing myself to others a lot… it makes me feel bad sometimes because I think, wow, Moazart died when he was 35… look what he did. Look at the success of so and so and they`re my age! This stuff can make you miserable but then I remind myself… look at all the amazing people in my life, the countless blessings in my life… Focus on the good stuff, be thankful for it, follow your gut.

EB

• Moderators

Research Scientist. I retired at 52. That was possible because I've always lived frugally, mostly invested well, have some patent income. I don't need to work anymore unless I want to - which would really open up some possibilities for me were I still young enough to pursue those. :facepalm:

But.... they keep coming up with interesting / lucrative things for me to do, so from time to time I go back and work on those projects. Mostly they want me to write proposals (using my reputation to get the work) then hand them over to some junior professor to lead. That's getting really old.

Terry D.

• Members

Played music full-time for about 15 years out of high school. When the rock-star-big-time thing never happened, I did what a lot of long haired guys did and got in on the retail side of things at Tower Records. Was a buyer and manager for them at a couple of stores and that eventually morphed into me owning and operating my own video rental store.

When that industry started to decline I sold the store and got licensed to do real estate appraisal about 10 years ago which I like as I get to stay self-employed and have a flexible schedule so I can continue to play music as much as I want part-time, which I've never stopped doing.

• Members
But.... they keep coming up with interesting / lucrative things for me to do, so from time to time I go back and work on those projects. Mostly they want me to write proposals (using my reputation to get the work) then hand them over to some junior professor to lead. That's getting really old.

Terry D.

your reputation as a mod on HC? :confused2:

• Members

Looking back, the best decisions in my life were made from the gut. I`ve learned to trust that feeling in my chest. Don`t get me wrong, sometimes those decisions made from the gut put me in some rough spots but they always worked out. Hard to explain…

All roads lead to where we are now.

I've been thinking a lot about that lately. A couple of weeks ago my band got hired to play a wedding gig where we were asked to learn and play "God Bless the Broken Road (that Led Me Here to You)" by Rascal Flatts. It got me thinking about how, when we are in it, life can seem like a random series of events as we bounce from one situation to another but when we look back, we can see it as a path.

• Members

I make a living doing music, and nothing but music.

I play music, saxophone, flute, wind synth, guitar, bass, drums, keyboard synth, and vocals.

Plus I write aftermarket music products for Band-in-a-Box as a part-time sideline to keep me from traveling during the slow season.

Life is a joy, and a bad night making music is better than a good night at any 'real job' I can think of.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

All roads lead to where we are now.

I've been thinking a lot about that lately. A couple of weeks ago my band got hired to play a wedding gig where we were asked to learn and play "God Bless the Broken Road (that Led Me Here to You)" by Rascal Flatts. It got me thinking about how, when we are in it, life can seem like a random series of events as we bounce from one situation to another but when we look back, we can see it as a path.

That is so true.

Not to sound too corny but, for all the things that are most important in life, I can't imagine my life being any better or happier right now than it is: I married the absolute perfect "soul mate" for me 15 years ago, we have a beautiful, smart, healthy daughter, good careers, beautiful home, I get to enjoy my leisure time the way I want, etc.

I've made a LOT of stupid and foolish decisions along the way. Things at the time I thought might completely derail me on my path moving forward. But had I not made virtually every one of those mistakes, I wouldn't be the person I am today with the life I had today. Certainly wouldn't have met my wife who is the cornerstone of my security and happiness.

What would any alternate path have brought me? Who knows. But I certainly have zero regrets for taking the path I took. Mistakes and all.

• Moderators

your reputation as a mod on HC? :confused2:

:D

That would be a huge minus at the university! So much so that on the VERY FEW occasions that I posted from work I used my personal laptop and the WiFi from the restaurant across the street from my office. ;)

Terry D.

Archived