In more American Idol news...

Phil O'Keefe

One of the winners wants out of his "oppressive" contract.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/american-idol-winner-files-bold-legal-claim-to-escape-oppressive-contracts-exclusive/ar-AA8Bl5b?ocid=ansHollywoodReporter11

I had heard rumors about how bad the American Idol contracts were, but obviously I have no way of knowing for sure. Maybe this lawsuit will shine more light on the real nature of their contracts.

• Members

Well, "oppressive" contracts are as old as the industry itself, aren't they?

Like anyone in any business deal, I both hope that Phillips gets what he wants out of his end of it but also would remind him that he was the one who signed the bottom line. He didn't seem to think it was that oppressive when he signed it.

It must really suck that "In the time since he's been on the show, his managers at 19 have lined up gigs like performing at the NBA All-Star Game, singing the Star Spangled Banner at a World Series game, and appearing on such shows as Letterman, the Today Show, Ellen and The View".

But them taking as much as 40% sounds pretty crazy.

Then again, the guy was working at a pawn shop and playing local gigs in his town or something similar before he went on Idol. So I don't think it's been all bad for him. But if he feels that they done all they can do for him and he's ready to take his career from here---that certainly makes sense too.

• Members

There are lots of valid reasons people can challenge contracts they have signed, and lots of invalid reasons, too - with a nice grey area in between from which endless controversies arise.

One of the most common reasons people sign bad contracts is when they are in a situation where they have no bargaining power, no experience, no savvy, and no other options. The big corporation sticks the contract under your nose, a contract you don't understand, and says "this is the standard deal, take it or leave it, sign now or get lost." So you sign and later you find out just what all that fine print meant.

Common sense says there is something inherently unfair about contracts being made under such circumstances - so I'm ok with the big corporation getting pushed back on later when the signee becomes someone with a bit of power and experience in their own right.

No, the big corporation didn't put a gun to your head, so it's not as blatant a case of coercion as that. But it's still heavily one-sided, which violates the spirit of contract-making in a significant way.

I get that feeling every time I'm forced to sign away rights - as when I go to the doctor's office and have to fill out all the forms, and one of them states that I'm saying I won't sue if they screw up. I have to sign or I can't get their healthcare services. Sure, I could go somewhere else, but they make you sign the same thing. It's a contract - and I can only hope a court would tear it up if it came to that in a situation of malpractice.

nat whilk ii

• Members
Well, "oppressive" contracts are as old as the industry itself, aren't they?

Then again, the guy was working at a pawn shop and playing local gigs in his town or something similar before he went on Idol. So I don't think it's been all bad for him.

Good point. And as you cited but I did not include with the quote, if you`re a Carrie Underwood or a Kelly Clarkson, you`ve built a career now where American Idol association is no longer of use… at least I would imagine so...

• Members

Good point. And as you cited but I did not include with the quote, if you`re a Carrie Underwood or a Kelly Clarkson, you`ve built a career now where American Idol association is no longer of use… at least I would imagine so...

AI is probably begging those two to still be associated with them at this point, I would imagine. Interesting that Kelly has made appearances on The Voice as well.

Also notable that few people seemed to complain about contracts. I think that Phillips is probably in an interesting position in that he's not up to Carrie or Kelly level where he can renegotiate a contract on his own terms, but also above many others who are probably glad to have any contract at all

Archived