Sam Smith is actually a pretty cool guy...

groovezilla

• Members

I don't believe it for a minute. i don't believe he never heard the original. it's part of our musical culture and impossible to avoid. I mean, he wants us to believe that a musician of all people is not familiar with one of Tom Petty's biggest hits. :facepalm::lol:

I thought of the original the second I heard his cover of it. :D

this all sounds like damage control, with fig leaf language lawyered in :idk:

• Members
I don't believe it for a minute. i don't believe he never heard the original. it's part of our musical culture and impossible to avoid. I mean, he wants us to believe that a musician of all people is not familiar with one of Tom Petty's biggest hits. :facepalm::lol:

I thought of the original the second I heard his cover of it. :D

this all sounds like damage control, with fig leaf language lawyered in :idk:

You do have to wonder if at some point he, his producer, AR guy or anyone at the record company realized and mentioned the likeness. Even if they did, the fact that he didn't fight it, shows some sense of humility... which is why I say he seems like a pretty cool guy. Hell of a friggin voice - I look forward to where he goes artistically on future songs/albums.

• Members

You do have to wonder if at some point he, his producer, AR guy or anyone at the record company realized and mentioned the likeness. Even if they did, the fact that he didn't fight it, shows some sense of humility... which is why I say he seems like a pretty cool guy. Hell of a friggin voice - I look forward to where he goes artistically on future songs/albums.

i don't believe that statement has anything to do with him. it's generated by his PR / legal team, with the emphasis on how he wasn't familiar with the original worded like a legal defense, and his intention not to fight it spinning his reality that he would lose if he did. :idk:

• Members
There isn't much new under the sun these days. Especially in the world of 3 chord rock songs. Whether the similarities were intentional' date=' subconscious, or purely coincidental----who cares. Just write a good a song and pay who you owe for helping you get there.[/quote']

True dat!

• Members

i don't believe that statement has anything to do with him. it's generated by his PR / legal team, with the emphasis on how he wasn't familiar with the original worded like a legal defense, and his intention not to fight it spinning his reality that he would lose if he did. :idk:

I still think that he "chose" the high road. And of course his PR team carefully crafted the response. Too many celebs accidentally step in dog poop and drag it around due to off the cuff remarks.

• Members

I still think that he "chose" the high road. And of course his PR team carefully crafted the response. Too many celebs accidentally step in dog poop and drag it around due to off the cuff remarks.

i think they realized that he would absolutely lose any fight, so egregious is the copy, that they spun the hell out of it, making it appear that he took the high road :idk:

• Members

Whether or not he knew the song was very similar to Petty`s cannot be proven so no point in arguing this. It was wise to share the songwriting credit with Petty because I`m sure Petty`s finances go a lot further than Smith`s, so if this went to court, we know how it would have ended.

So the other day during band rehearsal, I introduce a new tune to the band and tell the guitar player about a riff I wrote. Once the drummer hears it, he says to me, thats a riff from so and so… a band that I knew of but never heard the song in which this apparent riff was from. The next day, the drummer sends me a link to the tune on YT and sure enough, there it is! A song I never heard of had a riff very similar to the one I wrote. How does that happen?

We`re considering asking the guitarists who wrote that riff some 30+ years ago to play on my tune… and if we have to give him credits, so be it.

• Members
There isn't much new under the sun these days.

Actually, there is, but it's not typically actively promoted, and most won't bother seeking it out.

Especially in the world of 3 chord rock songs. Whether the similarities were intentional, subconscious, or purely coincidental----who cares. Just write a good a song and pay who you owe for helping you get there.

Pretty much. The songs are eerily similar, so whatever the case may be, they seem to be doing the right thing.

• Moderators

Well... it certainly doesn't bother me that it is indeed a lift. I don't know if anybody's mentioned Hes So Fine versus My Sweet Lord. Harrison gets a pass because he's a Beatle? And Sam Harris doesn't? I like the Sam Harris tune just fine and I love that Tom Petty song a ton.

How many of us have done this exact same thing? I have no problem listening to the George Harrison song. I love it in fact. Whatever spin Sam Harris or his record company put on their response is whatever it is. Who cares? It's just music.

I think sometimes a musicians vehement reaction to these thngs can be just a little bit of professional envy. I'm guilty of it as well. I also think that the general public's reaction to this is just a little bit of, "wow what a rip off!", not really quite understanding the creative process and some of its potential pitfalls.

I stamp this one with a big WHATEVER

• Members
Well... it certainly doesn't bother me that it is indeed a lift. I don't know if anybody's mentioned Hes So Fine versus My Sweet Lord. Harrison gets a pass because he's a Beatle? And Sam Harris doesn't? I like the Sam Harris tune just fine and I love that Tom Petty song a ton.

How many of us have done this exact same thing? I have no problem listening to the George Harrison song. I love it in fact. Whatever spin Sam Harris or his record company put on their response is whatever it is. Who cares? It's just music.

I think sometimes a musicians vehement reaction to these thngs can be just a little bit of professional envy. I'm guilty of it as well. I also think that the general public's reaction to this is just a little bit of, "wow what a rip off!", not really quite understanding the creative process and some of its potential pitfalls.

I stamp this one with a big WHATEVER

True dat. It's funny (strange) that we may have come to a point where song spinoffs are actually becoming accepted. While I'm not a big fan of Creative Commons, I do understand that share and share alike concept is meant to free us from being shamed by a lift, or a sample for that matter. Heck, Funky Cold Medina is an awesome song - using the EVH sample.

I think the Sam Smith song is great and I'm glad he created it. Probably heresy to say, but I actually prefer it over Won't Back Down - which is not one of Petty's best IMO. Of course his best stuff is that which us mere mortals can only dream of creating.

I tend to believe people's intentions are best, and therefore like to think Sam Smith didn't know. This mindset either make me prone to be taken advantage of or invites a lot of goodness into my life - the jury's still out.

• Members

True dat. It's funny (strange) that we may have come to a point where song spinoffs are actually becoming accepted. While I'm not a big fan of Creative Commons, I do understand that share and share alike concept is meant to free us from being shamed by a lift, or a sample for that matter. Heck, Funky Cold Medina is an awesome song - using the EVH sample.

I think the Sam Smith song is great and I'm glad he created it. Probably heresy to say, but I actually prefer it over Won't Back Down - which is not one of Petty's best IMO. Of course his best stuff is that which us mere mortals can only dream of creating.

I tend to believe people's intentions are best, and therefore like to think Sam Smith didn't know. This mindset either make me prone to be taken advantage of or invites a lot of goodness into my life - the jury's still out.

I like the Sam Smith version too and agree that this kind of spinoff should be accepted because it's part of the creative process, taking prior work and creatively moving it forward to a new spot.

i just think it's inconceivable that Sam Smith didn't know the original -- I don't buy that for a nanosecond.

Archived