Windows 10 will be a "free" upgrade

techristian

From the link in the OP:

"Terry Myerson just announced on stage that, for the first year after Windows 10 launches, any device running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to upgrade to the latest version of MIcrosoft's OS — for free. How exactly this program will work isn't clear just yet..."

Sounds like the details haven't been announced fully yet, and as they say, the devil's in the details. From the part I quoted though, it sounds like they're only offering it "free" for the first year... I'll bet they're planning on charging you to keep it working once that year has expired. I may be wrong, but it doesn't sound like it's going to be totally free in the same way Apple's OS X Yosemite is. :idk:

I'm still on 64 bit Windows 7, and see no urgent need to upgrade. I'm going to wait until at least I know what the actual details are, and the upgrade price, and whether or not I can downgrade back to Win 7 if I try 10 and decide I don't like it.

• Members
From the link in the OP:

"Terry Myerson just announced on stage that, for the first year after Windows 10 launches, any device running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to upgrade to the latest version of MIcrosoft's OS — for free. How exactly this program will work isn't clear just yet..."

Sounds like the details haven't been announced fully yet, and as they say, the devil's in the details. From the part I quoted though, it sounds like they're only offering it "free" for the first year... I'll bet they're planning on charging you to keep it working once that year has expired. I may be wrong, but it doesn't sound like it's going to be totally free in the same way Apple's OS X Yosemite is. :idk:

I'm still on 64 bit Windows 7, and see no urgent need to upgrade. I'm going to wait until at least I know what the actual details are, and the upgrade price, and whether or not I can downgrade back to Win 7 if I try 10 and decide I don't like it.

What I always do is watch Fry's for a sale on the "developer's version" of each Windows OS version and buy the program cheap. The developer's version allows you to load the OS on as many computers as you want as many times as you want. I hope they don't mess with this traditional offering - it's geared to system builders (mostly gamers actually), but anyone can buy the software and use it.

nat whilk ii

• Members

The question that's unanswered is are you going to have to buy it after that first year, does it too turn into a subscription like these programs do or is it something you have to buy if you miss the upgrade window.

I can see the offer getting everyone under the same tent. Someone says free and people aren't going to stop and look at the fine print. I probably wont be one of those people. Keeping up with the Jones's just isn't something I rush to do any more and its a good thing. Its a dam expensive obsession to maintain. I want to know what the benefits will be so I can intelligently weigh them against what I have already. Then I'll still likely put it off until I'm ready to deal with the major headaches an upgrade causes.

Archived