NAMM Goodies

UstadKhanAli

• Members

Anything so far? Anyone know how the DS Prophet 6 is? I'm sure it sounds more interesting (at least to me) than this demo. Classic Arp Odyssey from Korg? Deluxe Electric Mistress XO Analogue Flanger from Electro-Harmonix? Anything cool from Strymon pedals? Does Pro Tools introduce new features that everyone else has already?

• Members

Perhaps this might sound decent?

Posting stuff because this is the first time in maybe about fifteen years I haven't been able to NAMMbulate. Add stuff on that might seem cool or interesting or weird.

Hotone XTomp Pedal

http://www.musicradar.com/us/news/guitars/namm-2015-xtomp-boasts-loadable-library-of-300-classic-and-modern-pedals-613819

• Members

Looks like Pro Tools Cloud is here, with it going to a subscription model, I believe.

"All Pro Tools purchases, upgrades, and subscriptions now come with an Avid upgrade and support plan that ensures you always have the latest features at your fingertips. This means that you'll get all future software updates and upgrades (as long as your plan is active), including the upcoming Pro Tools Cloud and other features mentioned below, and 24x7 access to our Customer Care team experts to get help and advice whenever, wherever, and however you need it."

http://www.avid.com/US/products/pro-tools-software#Features

• CMS Author
Anything so far? . . . . Does Pro Tools introduce new features that everyone else has already?

Not one, but TWO analog synth villages this year. Where's all this acid coming from and please pass the Kool Aid.

Lots of people are up in arms about the new Pro Tools business model, which really isn't such a new business model. It was standard for IBM back when the BM in IBM stood for "business machines," which was what they made. Everyone is on a subscription plan. Instead of getting a new version every year or two, you'll get smaller, incremental updates throughout your subscription period. I believe that if you don't subscribe, your present version won't blow up, but like all software subscription/upgrade plans, if you want to keep a legacy system for a while and then make a jump to the current release, you'll likely end up paying about as much as if you threw money at them all along. It'll probably be a great deal for a few users, and a raw deal for a lot of users.

A big red raspberry to Focusrite, whose new Clarett series of interfaces has only Thunderbolt for its computer connection. "If you're really serious about using a computer for music, you'll be using a Mac." (quote from nobody in particular) This may be prophetic. By using a hardware connection that isn't available to probably 98% of the Windows users, they're shutting out a large number of potential customers. Thunderbolt rollout for PCs is going slowly enough so there will be quite a gap in time before those systems will catch up. Devices that are intended to work with phones can probably get away with jumping the gun, because most people replace their phone every year or two, but not their desktop computer. But then, hey, Apogee seems to be doing fine with Mac-only products.

For the second, or maybe third show now, I ran into Craig in a bathroom. We have to stop meeting like this.

• Members
Dave Smith`s Sequential Prophet 6 looks mighty tasty…

[video=youtube_share;m65rAfsjllw]

I never feel like I can tell from the demos. The sounds that they demo to me are bloody awful. But then someone else might come along and play these sounds, maybe on YouTube, and I'll think, "Wow....that sounds GREAT!!!!!"

• Members

Not one, but TWO analog synth villages this year. Where's all this acid coming from and please pass the Kool Aid.

Acid? I'm just having fun, being a long time Pro Tools user.

And yes, subscription model. I posted about it in more detail here:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/Forums_General/acapella-50/31391380-looks-like-avid-s-pro-tools-cloud-is-subscription-based-as-some-here-had-guessed

• Members

For the second, or maybe third show now, I ran into Craig in a bathroom. We have to stop meeting like this.

Do you remember a blonde-haired guy named Steve from (I think) rec.audio.pro who plays guitar and records? This is going back a ways now. He went with a few of us to see, among other guitarists, Ed Gerhard when NAMM was briefly held in the LA Convention Center? I ran into him at an Ed Gerhard show last night.

• Members

I never feel like I can tell from the demos. The sounds that they demo to me are bloody awful. But then someone else might come along and play these sounds, maybe on YouTube, and I'll think, "Wow....that sounds GREAT!!!!!"

Yup, I agree. The demos do not inspire. However, a lot of that also depends on the player (as you mentioned).

What has me really excited about this keyboard is that every parameter is on the front. No screen, no menus to dig around in.

• CMS Author

Do you remember a blonde-haired guy named Steve from (I think) rec.audio.pro who plays guitar and records? This is going back a ways now. He went with a few of us to see, among other guitarists, Ed Gerhard when NAMM was briefly held in the LA Convention Center? I ran into him at an Ed Gerhard show last night.

In a wheel chair (now)? Steve Holman?I almost always run into him at NAMM but I didn't see him this year, but I did see him at the AES show. I Since I can't remember who Ed Gerhard is (OK, I saw your later post and still can't remember who he is), and there were other guitarists, it might have been an All Star Guitar Night show. Steve always tried to get to that one, Did they even have an All Star Guitar Night this year?

I'm so tired after a day at the show these days that unless someone's buying me dinner (didn't happen) I go back to my hotel and take a nap until the local restaurants start to clear out a bit and I can get a table.

Ernest, we talked about how many analog synths there were at the show this year.

Ken, you should swap some photos with David Royer. Saturday he dragged me out of the aisle and into his booth to talk about speaker cabinet designs and showed me some creative photos he took around his cabin in the desert. I mentioned your work to him.

• Members

In a wheel chair (now)? Steve Holman?I almost always run into him at NAMM but I didn't see him this year, but I did see him at the AES show. I Since I can't remember who Ed Gerhard is (OK, I saw your later post and still can't remember who he is), and there were other guitarists, it might have been an All Star Guitar Night show. Steve always tried to get to that one, Did they even have an All Star Guitar Night this year?

I'm so tired after a day at the show these days that unless someone's buying me dinner (didn't happen) I go back to my hotel and take a nap until the local restaurants start to clear out a bit and I can get a table.

Ernest, we talked about how many analog synths there were at the show this year.

Ken, you should swap some photos with David Royer. Saturday he dragged me out of the aisle and into his booth to talk about speaker cabinet designs and showed me some creative photos he took around his cabin in the desert. I mentioned your work to him.

That's gotta be him. I think it was an All Star Guitar Night show. Steve was not at NAMM this year due to health reasons. And I didn't go either because I have a torn meniscus and am having surgery on my right knee next week, the first time I've missed NAMM in quite a while.

• Members

Sorry, was in a hurry and didn't see this. Thanks. I'll contact him in a little while after he gets back from NAMM....if I can figure out how to contact him! I guess I could just do support@mojaveaudio.com or go through Royer Labs or some such thing.

• CMS Author
lots of hands-on knobs coming back' date=' analog synthesis roaring back, modular analog synths making a huge comeback, this, and a bunch of other stuff. It's fantastic.[/quote']

These things are coming out of the woodwork. A dozen or so years back there was a section in Hall E for the Analog Haven hobbyists that weren't selling anything, just displaying and playing their collections. This year there was a large block, three aisled one asile section long (maybe 25 booths total) with people who had analog synths and related stuff for sale. And another section upstairs, plus the Moog and Korg reissues, and a concept model from Roland.

Archived