No announcement yet.

Shook Twins decline American Idol audition invitation

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shook Twins decline American Idol audition invitation

Good for them! I love their reasons for declining American Idol's invitation, although I'm a bit perplexed as to why AI would have actively sought them out and invited them to (individually) audition in the first place.

http://diymusician.cdbaby.com/2014/0...dol-take-hike/

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
    Good for them! I love their reasons for declining American Idol's invitation, although I'm a bit perplexed as to why AI would have actively sought them out and invited them to (individually) audition in the first place.

Well, AI doesn't do duos. But they have had brothers and sisters audition before. They'll let them audition together but they are judged separately. It makes for pretty good TV and I'm sure the producers are always on the lookout for that.

Comment

lol. They tried to get Jason Isbell too.

Comment

Their response is fine, I suppose, but not sure why they are so upset that they were extended an invitation to audition separately. How is AI to know they might not be interested in doing so? Other duos have in the past. So the invitation goes out and they decline. I'm sure AI will get over it.

But that they wanted to use the fact that they got the invitation as an opportunity for self-promotion is all well and good. That's what the business is all about, for sure.
        Last edited by guido61; 01-15-2015, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Something else AI didn't research enough about the Shook Twins. They are technically too old to compete on the show.

Comment

Who the hell is Al?

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
              Who the hell is Al?
              American Idol. Phil referenced them in the first post.

Comment

This is my feeling also:

"We feel that music is not meant to be a competition. It’s a platform to say something powerful and should be a way of bringing people together, not separating them. We feel that your vision is completely different. We would be going against everything that we stand for by auditioning for American Idol."

Comment

Who was a better musician - Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Dizzy Gillespie, or Miles Davis?

Some questions are just unanswerable, and I totally agree with the point they made about music ultimately not being about competition.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Music started being more about competition as soon as someone invented things like the Billboard charts and record contracts started being issued based on who could make the company the most money, I think.

But all I know is I never heard of The Shook Twins before this and now I have. So I guess they made it work for them.

Comment

I was tempted to add all three of their stream-syndicated albums to my favorites on General Principle -- but I'm happy to say that so far I'm quite enjoying their chamber folky/slightly poppy music in the scramble mix I just threw together. They earned their place in my (bulging) favorites 'library.' What're three albums when there are already almost 1900 in there.
                      Last edited by blue2blue; 01-16-2015, 08:28 PM.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
                        Who the hell is Al?
                        LOL... that was precisely what I was wondering. Damn sans serif!

Looks like that Al guy is getting in trouble all over the place...

AI Has Arrived, and That Really Worries the World’s Brightest Minds
                        Last edited by blue2blue; 01-16-2015, 08:44 PM.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post

American Idol. Phil referenced them in the first post.

Comment

Who was a better musician - Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Dizzy Gillespie, or Miles Davis?

Some questions are just unanswerable, and I totally agree with the point they made about music ultimately not being about competition.
                            All kidding aside, I agree completely. I stopped watching award shows around a decade ago because I found the entire concept of competing very strange.

Comment

Working...
                            X