How would you develop an artist?

davie

• Moderators

This might be a broad question, but if you were an A&R rep, manager or producer, how would you develop a new artist? What does artist development mean to you? And what would you consider as crucial steps in an artist's development? I want your personal perspective and approach.

• CMS Author

How arbitrary is this question? Are you talking about pulling someone off the street and turning him into a successful artist (it can be done, and has been)? Or are you talking about an artist that was carefully chosen as someone with good potential?

• Members

It's obviously vague as well. Jazz artist? Pop artist? Reggae artist?

Regardless, learn to play and/or sing, write great songs. And if a pop artist, fit neatly in a genre so people don't have to strain much, have a great stylist and physical trainer, and teach flexibility so they're able to grab their ankles when meeting with A&R.

• Members
This might be a broad question' date=' but if you were an A&R rep, manager or producer, how would you develop a new artist? What does artist development mean to you? And what would you consider as crucial steps in an artist's development? I want your personal perspective and approach.[/quote']

Unless you have the financial backing and network (from marketing to production), I wouldn`t even bother in todays arena.

Back in the day, Artist Development took time and a recording studio. Then you could just stop at the local radio station and submit your music. Now, the entire chain is a lot longer and complicated. Labels are paying radio music programmers to play their music and the last time I heard, that # was in the hundreds of thousands so… unless you`ve that, why bother?

• Moderators

Sorry for the vagueness, guys. I didn't have a chance to elaborate earlier. Anyway, I'm working with a young singer who needs some advice. Especially in today's market, the dynamic of things are different from back in the day. I'm familiar with the old fashion methods. I'm mainly referring to promotion on online platforms, selecting original song material, developing a unique sound and identity. I have some ideas but I just want to expand on this and get your guys' input.

• Members
I'm mainly referring to promotion on online platforms' date=' selecting original song material, developing a unique sound and identity. I have some ideas but I just want to expand on this and get your guys' input.[/quote']

I suppose YouTube would be pretty great, slapping up something there, a great song paired with a cool looking or fun video and promoting the heck out of it.

Selecting original song material....dunno...networking with songwriters in a variety of ways from online forums to organizations to things like The Music Connection to whatever.

Developing a unique sound and identity....I would hope someone has a unique sound and vision...or is at least willing to be a puppet for someone who has, I guess. Identity would ideally be an amplification of a unique part of their vision and personality so it at least seems somewhat real and relatable.

Regardless, learn to play and/or sing, write great songs. And if a pop artist, fit neatly in a genre so people don't have to strain much, have a great stylist and physical trainer, and teach flexibility so they're able to grab their ankles when meeting with A&R. Or did I say that already? :D

• Members
I'm mainly referring to promotion on online platforms' date=' selecting original song material, developing a unique sound and identity. I have some ideas but I just want to expand on this and get your guys' input.[/quote']

That helps. For starters...

1) Identify your market

2) Develop a long term vision for the artist

3) Find/write songs that match that vision and are directed towards your market

4) Get a YouTube channel and post videos weekly to create buzz. Snippets of studio sessions, photo shoots, the basic behind the scenes stuff, etc...

5) Build a website/blog and collect contact info

• Members
Sorry for the vagueness' date=' guys. I didn't have a chance to elaborate earlier. Anyway, I'm working with a young singer who needs some advice. Especially in today's market, the dynamic of things are different from back in the day. I'm familiar with the old fashion methods. I'm mainly referring to promotion on online platforms, selecting original song material, developing a unique sound and identity. I have some ideas but I just want to expand on this and get your guys' input.[/quote']

it sounds like you're familiar with the conventional wisdom, and it's easy enough for us to regurgitate that here.... but the truth is, if he or she is good enough and isn't afraid to put himself out in public, the public will beat a path to his/her door. :idk:

Archived