Attn: SSS Production Squad - "I Say Yes" Final Version Posted

Anderton

• Members

Thanks again for your comments!

[video=youtube_share;g9jdY1j7iMA]

This is definitely the most developed video yet that Ive done...and I seem to still be on this slide guitar thang...hope ya like it and any suggestions are of course welcome before it goes public.

• Members

Nice video work. Kind of 'pop' sounding compared to what I've heard of you before. A little over-abundant in guitar sound - not volume, but quantity. Maybe you could add in a bit of keyboards for additional tonal colors? Or maybe there's a great reason you didn't; I don't know...

• Members
Nice video work. Kind of 'pop' sounding compared to what I've heard of you before. A little over-abundant in guitar sound - not volume, but quantity. Maybe you could add in a bit of keyboards for additional tonal colors? Or maybe there's a great reason you didn't; I don't know...

...and that's why I post asking for feedback. There are two guitar parts (slide, and the rhythm guitar part clean and then also sent through distortion). But there's also a keyboard pad and a string part. I mixed them pretty far down to sort of "fill in the cracks" between the guitars but after reading your post, I tried increasing them in the mix and bringing down the distorted guitar in those sections to give them a little more "room." It does make the sound more "well-rounded" and in particular, there are some contrapuntal things going on with the strings that have more prominence now. So I think it's an improvement. It does take some of the "edge" off the song, but does give a more pop element and since it seems to be going in that direction anyway...

The "good reason" for lots of guitars is I'm a better guitarist than keyboard player ::) The piano part in "I Want My Heaven Now" where I play an octave line was a fabrication...I couldn't play the octaves so I said screw it, recorded the melody line, and drag-copied it to add the same line an octave lower.

Thank you! I really do find these comments helpful, just like I prefer to have someone look over an article before it goes to print. It never gets worse, and it almost always gets better.

• Members

Very catchy pop tune and cute girl

I like the way you use major chords for the first part of the chorus and then change to minor chords. I use that technique myself sometimes :)

Who shoots you in these videos? Do you have a static camera and create an impression of a moving cameraman in the edit, or do you have a guy filming you?

• Members
Very catchy pop tune and cute girl

Public domain pictures from the internet...

Who shoots you in these videos? Do you have a static camera and create an impression of a moving cameraman in the edit, or do you have a guy filming you?

The camera sits on a tripod, and I put that on cardboard boxes to get the necessary height. All the motion is in the editing. My lighting consists of "is the sun shining today?" although I shot "I Want My Heaven Now" in the bathroom and just had the light on.

• Members

The camera sits on a tripod, and I put that on cardboard boxes to get the necessary height. All the motion is in the editing. My lighting consists of "is the sun shining today?" although I shot "I Want My Heaven Now" in the bathroom and just had the light on.

For some reason that made me LOL :D

• Members

as a keyboard player, I actually like it the way it is. :idk:

• Members

as a keyboard player, I actually like it the way it is. :idk:

So as a keyboard player, you know I'm not that good :)

Seriously, I compared a couple mixes and think I'll end up splitting the difference. The parts aren't interesting enough parts to justify getting lots of attention, but during the slide part if I increase the level of the z3ta 2 part a little bit and bump the distorted rhythm guitar down a tad, the slide gets more definition, it adds a variation, and the pad sort of "glues" the whole thing together. So you're both right...another reason I value this feedback.

• Members

Sure, here's the screen shot.

81bGUHp.png

The heavy lifting is done by the compressor and the VX-64 Vocal Strip. The Chorus/Flanger is mostly to widen the stereo. The 1/8th note delay is a really important component of the sound, and also, the high shelf and slight upper midrange range to give the voice clarity.

I also adjust the gain for individual words at the waveform level as needed so they feed the compressor with a consistent level.

Archived