Black Market Daydreams - The Saga Continues....

Mark L

• Members

About 4 years ago I was given the opportunity to record my song Black Market Daydreams in a 'proper' studio, for free. The studio in question is Bakehouse Studios, Accrington, Lancashire (2,500 holes)

The producer, Lynn (who is also a drummer), laid down the drum track, and I did the rest. The drums sounded just fine but I was unhappy with all of my performances. I got a bit depressed, lost heart, and walked away from the project

Imagine my surprise, therefore, when I received an email this morning to the effect that the producer had found a vocalist and the song was now complete! This had my prior permission, by the way. I thought that the song would sound a lot better without my vocals anywhere on it. I think some of my guitar and bass remain on the track, and Lynn seems to have recorded some additional parts

The singer is an American guy called Doug West. He has a unique style. The song is being released as a single on 27th January. I'm contractually forbidden to let anyone hear the track before it's released, but I just thought I'd post this on here because it's a bit of good news for a change :)

• Members

Thanks, Ernest :)

Apparently, the studio owner/producer/drummer auditioned quite a few people to sing on the track. Most of them just copied what I did. Apart from Doug, that is. His take on the song is very interesting....

All will be revealed on the 27th :thu:

• Members

And Fredfin Wallaby finally got a bass player on Sunday, completing the band lineup. We did a first run through this song to acclimatize the new guy, and it went very well. We're still playing it fairly straightforward right now -- well, as straightforward as a 6-piece band arrangement can be, that is -- and are probably going to mix it up a bit by inserting an instrumental section before we lay down a full demo.

Hardest thing we've had to deal with is Mark's vocal range doesn't quite correspond with that of our singer, who is a bit lower. We looked into transposing it down a tone or two, but discovered that totally changes the sound and feel of the guitar part and loses a lot of the character. Turns out that Mark nailed a quite narrow sweet spot with his composition, right where everything comes together to sound great. smiley-happy

So we just have to work out the final arrangement, and we should have something you guys can hear by late January, early February at the latest. We want to be sure we have it nailed down before releasing a demo into the wild.

• Members
Hardest thing we've had to deal with is Mark's vocal range doesn't quite correspond with that of our singer, who is a bit lower. We looked into transposing it down a tone or two, but discovered that totally changes the sound and feel of the guitar part and loses a lot of the character. Turns out that Mark nailed a quite narrow sweet spot with his composition, right where everything comes together to sound great.

Interesting, that's exactly what I noticed...which is why I changed the arrangement so completely to accommodate a different key.

• Members
And Fredfin Wallaby finally got a bass player on Sunday, completing the band lineup. We did a first run through this song to acclimatize the new guy, and it went very well. We're still playing it fairly straightforward right now -- well, as straightforward as a 6-piece band arrangement can be, that is -- and are probably going to mix it up a bit by inserting an instrumental section before we lay down a full demo.

Hardest thing we've had to deal with is Mark's vocal range doesn't quite correspond with that of our singer, who is a bit lower. We looked into transposing it down a tone or two, but discovered that totally changes the sound and feel of the guitar part and loses a lot of the character. Turns out that Mark nailed a quite narrow sweet spot with his composition, right where everything comes together to sound great. smiley-happy

So we just have to work out the final arrangement, and we should have something you guys can hear by late January, early February at the latest. We want to be sure we have it nailed down before releasing a demo into the wild.

I'll look forward to hearing it :)

Might be an idea to release an EP, with my version, yours, Craig's, and the one featuring Doug West. 'The World Does Nads' :idea::philthumb:

• Members

quit hemming and hawing and post the damn thing! :D

Archived