What do you use for a studio chair?

WRGKMC

• Members

My wife has been bugging me for what I want for Christmas. I couldn't think of anything until I went back into the studio and sat in that beat up office chair that always gives me a backache. I spend allot of time in there recording and mixing and the number one thing that gets me to shut the studio down is my back is in pain.

So I'd like some suggestions on what others use. It has to be armless of course and something that at least comes up to my shoulder blades. Ergonomic is good, adjustable is a must as a guitar player. I need to be able to adjust the height so my legs touch the ground and I don't loose

circulation with a guitar on my leg. Armless is a must too.

I figured I'd need to spend a couple of hundred for something decent and it will wind up saving some money not having to buy aspirin all the time for this beat up back of mine.

:music005:

• Members

I just use an ordinary chair. Padded seat, four legs, no arms

I've come down from the loft and am now in the spare bedroom. I share space with clothes drying on the maiden, and sundry other items which have no place anywhere else in the house

My wife hangs her work coat and handbag on the back of the chair. I bet Macca doesn't have these problems :D

• Members
I've been looking for something better, too. Not much out there I've been able to find - MF has this -

called Pick N Glider (costs more than a couple hundred)

link to MF - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/lifestyle/pick-n-glider-musicians-chair?pfm=sp

fetch?id=31344672

That might be comfortable, but the rocking is useless. (I'd wind up spilling my drinks :facepalm:)

I missed wheels are a must with an 12' long studio desk, Height and tilt are biggies too.

• Members

I named a song after my studio chair

I used to have a wide padded chair that I got from an office supply store but it didn't have wheels so I got tired of having to scoot between the computer and the keyboard. A few years ago I got a big leather executive type chair with wheels and arm rests. When I first got it I would still use the other chair to play guitar but now I've kind of developed a technique of laying the guitar on the arm rest when I play.

The first song I did after I got the chair:

• Members

I have almost everything at ear/eye level so I can remain standing. Primary near fields, iMac, legacy computers, rack units with meters I like to keep an eye on are all up. I only sit when at the listening station I have set up in the middle of the room, or when at the keyboard, and I don't sit for that most of the time either. I really like it this way and I' sure my neck and overall health does to. Plus, I don't have to get up out of a chair to shake more than my foot when the spirit moves me. smiley-happy

• Members
I have almost everything at ear/eye level so I can remain standing. Primary near fields' date=' iMac, legacy computers, rack units with meters I like to keep an eye on are all up. I only sit when at the listening station I have set up in the middle of the room, or when at the keyboard, and I don't sit for that most of the time either. I really like it this way and I' sure my neck and overall health does to. Plus, I don't have to get up out of a chair to shake more than my foot when the spirit moves me. smiley-happy[/quote']

My studio is half and half. My studio desk is higher so I can use it standing or sitting. I do allot of live recording in there and can get to everything standing when I track, but when I sit the studio monitors are ear level. I am able to track standing but 40+ years of strapping on guitars has taken its toll on my shoulder so the bulk of my multi track work is done sitting.

The exception is when I want to use sympathetic vibration to sustain my lead notes. I have a highly developed technique using sound from a speaker cab, striking the back of the guitar neck and body to get notes to sustain harmonically and I have to be able to twist, turn, change distance from a cab to control this sustain. I fade this effect in and out turning a guitar to a 45 degree angle to the speakers and I'd likely crash my neck trying this in front of a console. In some ways its like using a Thermion except its much slower to react. I can get some of this in a swivel chair but not nearly as well as I do standing.

Archived