No announcement yet.

DAW Features You'd Like to See Added to DAWs

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAW Features You'd Like to See Added to DAWs

I see a lot of "everything's been invented" attitude about DAWs. But I can think of several things I'd like to see in DAWs. Here are two; what are yours?

* A rhyming dictionary. Why not? When I'm writing songs on a DAW, most of the time I have two rhyming dictionaries open.
    * Algorithmic composition. This used to be really big back in the days of the Commodore-64 - programs would generate bass lines, drum parts, etc. If youu didn't like one,you just pushed a button and it generated a new one.
    N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

A choice of proprietary or licensed summing algorithms. Or an IR based, convolution type method of modelling the summing characteristics of the best analogue consoles. Probably not possible?
    Last edited by gubu; 12-10-2014, 10:22 AM.
    flip the phase

Comment

Varispeed controls. Most DAWs lack varispeed unless you sync to an external, variable-speed clock.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe
        Varispeed controls. Most DAWs lack varispeed unless you sync to an external, variable-speed clock.
        Reaper has varispeed. Very heavy on the CPU though...
        Last edited by gubu; 12-10-2014, 11:24 AM.
        flip the phase

Comment

Instruction manuals that don't assume you have a PhD in audio engineering
          new album - smoke
          forum - the asylum

Comment

One that is a lead singer....Or at least a compliment hurling sycophant..Always wanted one of those.
            http://thebasement.createaforum.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MarkydeSad View Post
              I'm an audio engineer and I don't know a single person with a PhD in that field. A quick Google search shows a few programs in Europe, but here in the USA, it's more likely you'd go for a PhD in Electrical Engineering or Acoustics, although there may be a few Music Technology PhD programs out there.

IMHO manuals have actually gotten considerably better over the years. I used to hate trying to figure out some of the manuals in the 70s / 80s that were obviously written by non-native English speakers or written in another language and translated (very poorly) to English.

Does it bother anyone that more and more manuals come as PDF files these days instead of as printed manuals?

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Originally posted by gubu View Post
                Reaper has varispeed. Very heavy on the CPU though...
                I used to have a pair of Yamaha AW4416 mixer / recorders and they had varispeed too.

I've been known to use an ADAT deck as a varispeed clock for Pro Tools, but I think I need to just break down and buy a Digidesign / Avid Sync. They have varispeed capability.

Craig, does Sonar have a varispeed control built in?

- George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

I'm an audio engineer and I don't know a single person with a PhD in that field. A quick Google search shows a few programs in Europe, but here in the USA, it's more likely you'd go for a PhD in Electrical Engineering or Acoustics, although there may be a few Music Technology PhD programs out there.

IMHO manuals have actually gotten considerably better over the years. I used to hate trying to figure out some of the manuals in the 70s / 80s that were obviously written by non-native English speakers or written in another language and translated (very poorly) to English.

Does it bother anyone that more and more manuals come as PDF files these days instead of as printed manuals?
                  I wasn't trying to be factually accurate, Phil, I was just making a point

And yes, I much prefer paper instruction manuals to PDF files
                  new album - smoke
                  forum - the asylum

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
                    Phil O'Keefe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I know... it just made me think about the lack of AE PhD's and I just ran with it.

Error messages for everything, including signal flow, that include suggestions on what to look for when something is not working, or at least some of the most common ones.

Good sound.

I believe gestural commands is coming down the pipe at some point, and has been mentioned countless times before.

Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Sonar does not have track notation features. I need to take notes on all sorts of stuff and some way to have that available per-track would save me time and help me remember to take notes.

And if there could be a popup display of lyrics that scrolled with the music, enlargeable so it could be read from some distance...

and if DAWs could auto-erase crappy music, the world would be a better place

nat whilk ii

Comment

Originally posted by MarkydeSad View Post
                      And to go along with that, a common lexicon (or maybe vocabulary is the right word), and to be picky, as close as is reasonable to what you find on a real console and recorder. On my console, i can just turn an Aux Send knob, but on my DAW I have to create a bus first.

Maybe the thing would be a set of templates for the mixing section. If you're used to a Mackie 4-bus, you'd select that and it would be one. If you're used to an SSL-4000, push another button and you'd get one of those.

Maybe just build the whole darn thing out of hardware and I'd be happiest.
                      --
                      "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
                      Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
                        It bothers me that there are no printed manuals, unless I make one myself, and that never comes out as good as a real printed and bound manual. PDFs are nice if you know what you're looking for and can search for the word (see my other comment about vocabulary), but leafing through a manual until you spot the picture of what you see on the screen, or the title of a paragraph you know you saw before and needed to look at again.

I find reading a manual on a screen tedious at best for two reasons. One is that I can only see one page at a time unless I make it too small to read, and the other is that I'm restricted to where I can be when I'm reading it. I can't go to the living room couch or the can and study over a section unless I have a copy of it on my tablet or phone, which is difficult to read.

I like to have a machine-searchable copy for when that's appropriate, but if I had my choice of one or the other, I'd take a forest of trees any time. They'll grow back. My eyes won't.
                        --
                        "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
                        Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

As much as I like Digital Performer, their owner manuals suck. The manuals are dry, repetitive, and feel like you`re reading a Roland manual which is not saying much.

I honestly don`t think DP needs much more than what it has. I`m actually a bit overwhelmed with DP8. There are features I`ll never use, thats the truth.

I use the DAW like a recording machine so most of the features go untouched. I would actually like to see less mini-menus and less windows overall to reach certain functions.

As for a rhyming dictionary, I cannot use a computer to write music, to me the whole technology thing kills my creativity. I rather sit there with paper and pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
                            As much as I like Digital Performer, their owner manuals suck.
                            Wha?

I've always felt the DP manual is the best I've ever used.