My Apologies

Mark L

• Members
Another new tune

New-ish, anyway

https://soundcloud.com/songwriter101/fields-of-silence

some nice material, but it doesn't sound finished to me. the proportions and form of it seem all wrong and not satisfying at all. I don't know where I am in the song.

if it were me, I would view this as a draft, and then re-arrange it with a more satisfying format. :idk:

• Members

some nice material, but it doesn't sound finished to me. the proportions and form of it seem all wrong and not satisfying at all. I don't know where I am in the song.

if it were me, I would view this as a draft, and then re-arrange it with a more satisfying format. :idk:

Interesting comments. Thanks

Sometimes I like to deviate from the verse, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, middle 8, double chorus thing. I did so on this occasion. Maybe that's why you feel a bit lost ;)

• Members

Interesting comments. Thanks

Sometimes I like to deviate from the verse, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, middle 8, double chorus thing. I did so on this occasion. Maybe that's why you feel a bit lost ;)

perhaps...

... and I'm all for deviation. :0

I listened to it again and liked it better, and you know I'm your biggest fan...

it's just not hitting the bullseye for me quite yet. I do like the lyrics tho.

I'd probably toss some of that solo, like the whole synth part, and just go right to the guitar solo... :confused:

i think that would help :idk:

• Members

perhaps...

... and I'm all for deviation. :0

I listened to it again and liked it better, and you know I'm your biggest fan...

it's just not hitting the bullseye for me quite yet. I do like the lyrics tho.

I'd probably toss some of that solo, like the whole synth part, and just go right to the guitar solo... :confused:

i think that would help :idk:

If you listen to it as many times as I've had to do, you'll end up loving it :D

I tried doing a guitar solo all the way through, but it seemed to go on too long. Therefore I broke it in half by adding the synth part. You've no idea how many attempts I made at those fairly simple solo bits. I'm not a natural soloist :o

• Members

Hah! Great tune, btw, up to your usual standards (just got a chance to listen.)

The fade out during singing is unusual. I didn't think I liked it, but then I noticed that I couldn't call ever hearing that before, so OK OK! Anything almost nobody else does is worth doing at least once!

• Members
Hah! Great tune, btw, up to your usual standards (just got a chance to listen.)

The fade out during singing is unusual. I didn't think I liked it, but then I noticed that I couldn't call ever hearing that before, so OK OK! Anything almost nobody else does is worth doing at least once!

Hey, what are rules for if not to be broken? ;)

• Members

If you listen to it as many times as I've had to do, you'll end up loving it :D

I tried doing a guitar solo all the way through, but it seemed to go on too long. Therefore I broke it in half by adding the synth part. You've no idea how many attempts I made at those fairly simple solo bits. I'm not a natural soloist :o

it is true that it's growing on me :D

what I like a LOT is the way it starts w/o an introduction, and with the word "listen," commanding people to... listen.

also, the lyrics describe claustrophobia, and the music is claustrophobic, essentially boxed into just a handful of notes. it's claustrophobic music for a claustrophobic song.

as for the solo, it does seem too long to me. why not just cut out the synth part altogether, and make the solo half as long, starting with the guitar material. :idk:

anyway, feel free to ignore my suggestion.... i don't pretend that my take on this is any better than yours, it's your song, you rock, and we're just a bunch of sunday morning quarterbacks!

• Members

Well I could do that, but then I'd have to discard the Em, Bm, D, A sequence. I quite like that chord sequence, because it leads nicely into the next one: Am(add9), D, Dsus4

So I'll be leaving things as they are ;)

Glad the song is growing on you :)

• Members
Well I could do that, but then I'd have to discard the Em, Bm, D, A sequence. I quite like that chord sequence, because it leads nicely into the next one: Am(add9), D, Dsus4

If you jumped from the Em's right before that Em, Bm, D, A, sequence to the Am, D sequence where the guitar solo comes in right after it, I wouldn't miss it :idk:

In other words, I'd go from 1:45 to 2: 05 (more or less).

there's so much solo material at that point in the song, that the Em, Bm, D, A, sequence just feels like a little too much. It also feels, despite the change of chords, like just more Em for that whole section... essentially an embellishment on Em. When you finally get to 2: 05, that's when it feels like you're shifting gears, that's what my ears are craving and satisfied to receive.

the other part of that is that as much as you may like the Em, Bm, D, A sequence, there's a kind of greater good, in my mind, of not having that section go on and on. You know, as Stephen King said "kill your darlings." That every now and then you have to ruthlessly discard material that you, as the writer, may otherwise fall in love with, because it's not pulling its own weight.

Anyway, that's what I would do, and in the spirit of the internet, I offer you my candid thoughts for your consideration, and in the spirit of the internet, I encourage you to stick to your guns if that's what you believe!

• Members

Goobers, my old sausage, I admire your persistence. However, on this occasion we'll have to agree to disagree. I quite like the synth solo, cheesy as it is. So it's staying in

Tell you what, I'll give you a fighting chance. I'll toss a coin. Call!

*Goobers calls 'heads'*

It's tails. Sorry :(

• Members
Goobers, my old sausage, I admire your persistence. However, on this occasion we'll have to agree to disagree. I quite like the synth solo, cheesy as it is. So it's staying in

Tell you what, I'll give you a fighting chance. I'll toss a coin. Call!

*Goobers calls 'heads'*

It's tails. Sorry :(

I like the synth solo too :idk:

so... I recently played a song on TV. before I played it, they wanted me to shorten it because that's TV and every second counts. sm-lava

to cut some of the length I chopped the intro in half, that was easy. :thu:

and then I chopped the solo in half. that was painful. :cry:

However, when I watched it, the solo's actually kinda better half as long. :rawk:

noam' sayin' :idk:

anyway, agree to disagree works for me :hairphil:

or next time use a coin that doesn't have tails on both sides. :mad2:

Archived