Apple Yosemite OS - Should I Upgrade?

Anderton

• Members

Checked out the online reviews at the app store, and a bit over half of them are brutal one-star reviews, while a bit unde half are fawning 5-star reviews. WTF? A lot of the negative ones revolve around the look, which I don't care about, but a huge percentage talk about dramatic performance decreases, programs not working, drivers not available, wi-fi dropping connections, etc. What kept from installing were the many comments essentially saying "I regret upgrading, shouldn't have done it, anyone reading this don't do it!" But the positive reviews say the performance is fine and the new look is great.

I have Mavericks working fine on my laptop and if it ain't broke...but I trust the opinion of this forum more than the usual online crowd. Thoughts?

• Members

Yeah, I read the same reviews and have not updated the OS out of fear. Granted, my 3 Apples have been acting up with various issues so I`m at the point of confusion about any updating…. I would just like to purchase a new Apple and start over. My next studio computer will not go online… I just decided thats the best way to go from now on.

• Members

There might be good reason to wait a little while:

Serious security flaw in OS X Yosemite 'Rootpipe'

Apple released a security update after the post above was written—OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 Update Patches Four Flaws—but it's not clear whether they addressed the issue yet. The ZDNet article in my first link above said, "a patch isn't likely to appear until January 2015."

Also, there are as yet unresolved bugs and problems with WiFi:

Mac OS X Yosemite features, system requirements, bugs: Yosemite WiFi still not fixed, Apple issues new 10.10.2 beta

Best,

Geoff

• CMS Author

Different users, different applications, different results, different interpretation of results. Don't upgrade until you need to run something that requires the newer OS. It took me ten years to start using Windows 7 (really needed to get Pro Tools 10 going), and to do that, I got a separate computer for it so I wouldh't have to change what works.

On a VP's salary you should be able to afford a couple of Macbook Pros, one to rely on for productivity and one to play with new stuff with. My Windows 7 computer was of a good vintage to run Windows 7 and cost me only $20 plus some more memory and a fresh hard drive. Unfortunately you can't get off that cheap in the Mac world.

• Members

I think some of the main issues revolve around the fact that most Macs are shipping with much more RAM nowadays, and supporting much larger resolution screens. The very earliest systems that Yosemite supports are far under the power of current systems; I have a feeling it's just not optimized well enough yet to support those older systems as well, since users are reporting that turning off things like transparency in the System Preferences is making a difference with performance on those older machines. It also may be that on some machines, transparency is falling back onto the CPU instead of being computed by the GPU.

It's hard to say if it ever will be optimized to run well on the oldest machines that are technically "supported". A RAM upgrade may make a difference on machines that are only running 2GB. In the past they have been somewhat good at ironing out issues after the GM release.

• Members

On a VP's salary you should be able to afford a couple of Macbook Pros...

That's true if you don't have to pay medical bills for a wife and daughter, and hospice care for a mother. Fortunately, I have a MacBook Pro because a very good friend had bought one for a specific purpose, and was no longer using it.

• Members
Is that THE George Toledo? I still think your song was great.

YES it is!

Thanks, and I've written so many more over the years. I sent you a code for a free download of my latest EP via PM just a bit ago.

Since I saw you last, I've designed "interactive graphics" and music-visualizers for the tours of many of the popular artists of the past couple decades.

…and YOU are great Craig! I've had so much inspiration from your writing.

• Members

I've been on Yosemite since the beta running logic pro x, izotope, ik multimedia, boz digital labs, alchemy, novation, software, with focusrite liquid 56, maudio, Mackie mcu, novation, and korg hardware and controllers. Ever since izotope fixed stutteredit everything has been working fine. Everything else worked fine from go. But with Mac you can try it and roll back if it doesn't work for you. Back up everything (including the os) then upgrade. Osx will let you restore to the previous os, so you're safe.

• Members
I've been on Yosemite since the beta running logic pro x, izotope, ik multimedia, boz digital labs, alchemy, novation, software, with focusrite liquid 56, maudio, Mackie mcu, novation, and korg hardware and controllers. Ever since izotope fixed stutteredit everything has been working fine. Everything else worked fine from go. But with Mac you can try it and roll back if it doesn't work for you. Back up everything (including the os) then upgrade. Osx will let you restore to the previous os, so you're safe.

I've got the whole thing backed up on Time Machine. Is that good enough?

• Members

I recently bought a new MBP from Amazon. It's actually the previous version so it came with 10.9 but since it's new and I'm not depending on it for anything critical yet (haven't even installed any music software or hardware on it) I went ahead and upgraded the OS. Because I didn't have any legacy things going on there are no problems with 10.10 but I have found one annoyance: with a two monitor setup it keeps reverting to display mirroring.

Archived