New Tune - Recorded Using PreSonus Studio One

Mark L

• Members

Mark,

I really like the tune. The lyrics are simple but potent, exactly what I love.

More of this Mark and when you`re ready, lets put it all on 1 huge album!

And btw, the drums which I know you are just starting to get the hang of, sound like they belong so you`re right on track mate. Trust your instincts.

The force is strong with you.

E

• Members

Wonderful song, no frills, fantastic flow. The only suggestion I'd make is I'd love to hear a background keyboard part like a Hammond in the section from 1:37 to 2:09...I think that would help break up the arrangement a bit.

You should really try not doubling your voice sometime. If you're concerned about pitch, hey, there's Melodyne! Your background vocals on my new song sound fine when isolated. You could use the single voice when you wanted a stronger connection to the listener, then revert to doubled for choruses and such.

Also I think the guitar level at the end is fine because it sounds like the effect you want is that it has to fight a little bit to be heard. Sometimes I want vocals to sound like they're fighting to be heard, sometimes I want them to "pop" and the same can apply to any lead.

BTW I'd forgotten about Your Online Dream, what a great song!! It was a real treat to have it come on afterward. I think it's time to go trolling through Sound Cloud and pick another Mark L song to cover.

• Members

:facepalm:

I can`t believe you went there.

Of course I did! If a vocal is great except for one note that drops pitch toward the end, then fix it. No one will hear a difference, no one will care, and you won't have to recut or punch the vocal.

Melodyne is also great to un-pitch correct. Sometimes when I do doubling some lines are exactly on pitch. It's really hard for me to sing a couple cents flat or sharp, but Melodyne makes it easy to uncorrect "correct" vocals.

• Members
Mark,

I really like the tune. The lyrics are simple but potent, exactly what I love.

More of this Mark and when you`re ready, lets put it all on 1 huge album!

And btw, the drums which I know you are just starting to get the hang of, sound like they belong so you`re right on track mate. Trust your instincts.

The force is strong with you.

E

Thanks, mate :)

• Members
Wonderful song, no frills, fantastic flow. The only suggestion I'd make is I'd love to hear a background keyboard part like a Hammond in the section from 1:37 to 2:09...I think that would help break up the arrangement a bit.

You should really try not doubling your voice sometime. If you're concerned about pitch, hey, there's Melodyne! Your background vocals on my new song sound fine when isolated. You could use the single voice when you wanted a stronger connection to the listener, then revert to doubled for choruses and such.

Also I think the guitar level at the end is fine because it sounds like the effect you want is that it has to fight a little bit to be heard. Sometimes I want vocals to sound like they're fighting to be heard, sometimes I want them to "pop" and the same can apply to any lead.

BTW I'd forgotten about Your Online Dream, what a great song!! It was a real treat to have it come on afterward. I think it's time to go trolling through Sound Cloud and pick another Mark L song to cover.

Tried it with a single-tracked vocal but......it just wasn't happening

Troll away! It's always nice to hear your versions of my songs :)

By the way, there's a bit more choice at this link: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=642605&content=music

• Members

Tried it with a single-tracked vocal but......it just wasn't happening

I think part of the argument is that you`ve doubled your vocals for so long, thats all you`re used to so anything else sounds strange.

I`m coming from the other end of the spectrum where I never did that and when I double, it sounds strange to me too. Sometimes its good to let these songs into the hands of others and let them toss a new sound/element into the mix. Something to consider….

What I would love to try…. the next time you write a tune, don`t mix it. Let us get the tracks and let us mix it! I think you`ll hear some very interesting ideas come forward.

• Members

I think part of the argument is that you`ve doubled your vocals for so long, thats all you`re used to so anything else sounds strange.

I`m coming from the other end of the spectrum where I never did that and when I double, it sounds strange to me too. Sometimes its good to let these songs into the hands of others and let them toss a new sound/element into the mix. Something to consider….

What I would love to try…. the next time you write a tune, don`t mix it. Let us get the tracks and let us mix it! I think you`ll hear some very interesting ideas come forward.

It took all Craig's powers of persuasion to persuade me to let him have my 'naked' vocal tracks. I'm certainly not about to let all and sundry hear my individual music tracks :cop:

• Members
I like that you left some space in the arrangement; like Miles Davis said: It's all about the spaces between the notes.

More luck than judgement, to be honest :0

By the way, belated congrats on getting a song in the top ten! :cool:

Archived